SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.587df8835300

The information came in a letter, which describes an alleged episode of sexual misconduct involving Kavanaugh when he was in high school, according to a person familiar with the matter. Democrats on the Judiciary Committee first learned about the contents of the letter at a meeting called at the last minute on Wednesday night. The letter had been relayed to Ranking Member Dianne Feinstein (Calif.) by Rep. Anna G. Eshoo (D-Calif.), two people familiar with the matter said.

“That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision,” Feinstein said in a statement. “I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities.”

Several officials confirmed that the letter was referred to the FBI.

According to a person familiar with the matter, the FBI does not now plan to launch a criminal investigation of the matter, which would normally be handled by local authorities, if it was within the statute of limitations. The FBI instead passed the material to the White House, as an update to Kavanaugh's background check, which already had been completed, the person said. The move is similar to what the bureau did when allegations were leveled against former White House aide Rob Porter.

An FBI official said, "Upon receipt of the information on the night of September 12, we included it as part of Judge Kavanaugh's background file, as per the standard process."

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) dismissed the controversy on Twitter.

“Let me get this straight: this is [a] statement about [a] secret letter regarding a secret matter and an unidentified person. Right,” he tweeted sarcastically.

“I will add: the FBI already performed and has reported on a background investigation on the nominee and this has been made available to all Senators on the Judiciary Committee,” Cornyn wrote.

people familiar with the matter said Feinstein is the only senator who has seen the letter. Emma Crisci, a spokeswoman for Eshoo, said they could not comment because of a confidentiality policy involving constituent casework.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Republicans need to find a way to make the DEMs pay a price for their dirty tricks

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
related

https://www.washingtonexaminer...of-which-are-idiotic

It’s normal for lawmakers to present Supreme Court nominees with written requests for clarification following the candidate's spoken testimony. It’s also normal for the nominee to be given a week to submit written responses.

What’s not normal is for the nominee to be asked 1,278 follow-up questions.

The number of post-hearing inquiries submitted to Kavanaugh is greater than the combined total for every Supreme Court justice in U.S. history, according to Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa.

Of the 1,278 questions asked of Kavanaugh, only nine came from members of the Republican Party. Grassley asked eight questions. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., asked one.

Posts: 19505 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well--RBG is correct--the current way IS wrong, and it IS a "partisan show". However, the partisanship is being displayed by the Democrats, who are energized to simply block any candidate that President Trump nominates. She should remember that she was confirmed by 93 to 3, which included Senators of both parties, even though her leanings were known to be decidedly Liberal.

flashguy

Republicans have been every bit as partisan lately. Remember Merrick Garland. Don't act as if it only goes one way.
I do remember Merrick Garland; I also remember that the Republicans only acted on "Biden's Rule".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of this coming from a Senator that had a Chinese spy as her personal driver for 20 years. Now there’s a real story to be investigated.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Well--RBG is correct--the current way IS wrong, and it IS a "partisan show". However, the partisanship is being displayed by the Democrats, who are energized to simply block any candidate that President Trump nominates. She should remember that she was confirmed by 93 to 3, which included Senators of both parties, even though her leanings were known to be decidedly Liberal.

flashguy

Republicans have been every bit as partisan lately. Remember Merrick Garland. Don't act as if it only goes one way.
I do remember Merrick Garland; I also remember that the Republicans only acted on "Biden's Rule".

flashguy
Correct. Garland was never smeared by any group (as best as I can remember). There were definitely groups that took issue with his judicial record, and opinions, but I cannot remember a single smear attempt leveled at him.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Another thing, was he likely a juvenile at the time??

I was 18 for less than 2 months when I was in High School.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
R’s are just as partisan as Dems: Yes
Did Republicans thwart the nomination of Merrill Garland? Yes, but that was pure hardball politics. And whether the Biden Rule should have been employed by either party; it is part of the landscape, now.
But I certainly don’t recall the GOP ever pulling the crap we’ve seen in hearings, disruptions, etc. And I hope the R’s never stoop that low. Decorum is long gone.......

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1523 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Another thing, was he likely a juvenile at the time??

I was 18 for less than 2 months when I was in High School.

Yeah, likely. As Mark Steyn recently said on Tucker, this will be the first Supreme Court Justice nominee that will have to be tried in juvenile court.

This is just all so ridiculous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being reported from a couple of sites that the FBI is staying out of this.

FBI Won't Investigate Sexual Misconduct Allegation Against Kavanaugh

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...ho-wont-come-forward

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...torney-involved.html

Posts: 12581 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
Being reported from a couple of sites that the FBI is staying out of this.

FBI Won't Investigate Sexual Misconduct Allegation Against Kavanaugh

https://www.zerohedge.com/news...ho-wont-come-forward

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...torney-involved.html

Why should the FBI investigate this? Makes no sense at all other than a soundbite for the fake news MSM and opposition political ads to make it sound a some sort of very serious matter.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
There's nothing to investigate. We shouldn't even be acknowledging this fucking absurdity! Let's move on.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I doubt this ever happened. Anonymous says something happened a long time ago. Presumably no witnesses, no notice taken by anyone.

It is as easily made up as not, and just in the nick of time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JALLEN,

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if it were true and a real deal, we would have heard about it 35 years ago

it just amazes me how the dems can fabricate just about anything on short notice....I thin that when he is confirmed, the first thing he should do is sue every democrat for slander and defamation of character....put the lot of them in prison or cost them their jobs and pensions.

enough is enough

time to take the gloves off

Hey, President Trump, make me the AG and I will bring you ALL of their heads on pikes and will do so with a smile on my face and a song in my heart

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
There's nothing to investigate. We shouldn't even be acknowledging this fucking absurdity! Let's move on.
Bingo! I'm not buying a word of this. Until proven wrong, I'm calling this utter and complete fabrication (i.e. lies) by DiFi. The woman is terrified of the leftists taking over her party and this is nothing more than a last ditch effort to try and win favor with the Antifa types.

Message to DiFi. You're a dinosaur and you and your Democratic party are history.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think DiFi just proved what a low-life bottom-feeding piece of scum she really is

I hope this costs her

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
The Justice went to Georgetown Preparatory School. It’s an all male Catholic institution.

The script the democrats are using is the same used in the Justice Thomas, Anita Hill hearing.
Thomas was well on his way to confirmation when suddenly he was accused of sexual harassment. As one feminist crowed”We’ve got him now!” Hill tried to remain anonymous but was outed by the democrats. Brought to the hearing she testified for much of the day.
That evening It was Thomas’ turn. The first question from the chair was: “Did you watch the hearings today?” This clearly was intended to put Thomas on the defensive. He would be told of Hills words then would have to explain.
Thomas’ reply was perfect. “No I did not.” Immediately the democrats lost the initiative.

As was pointed out, Justice Kavanaugh would have been 18 only for a matter of months. His February birthday would have given him about 5 months as an adult.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...amanda-prestigiacomo
http://www.gprep.org/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
This was reported on Laura Ingraham a little while ago.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018...ter-was-about/

SERIOUSLY? So THIS is what Sen. Dianne Feinstein’s secret Brett Kavanaugh letter was about?

"As Twitchy reported earlier, Sen. Dianne Feinstein announced that she’d turned over to authorities a letter that had some incriminating information about SCOTUS nominee Brett Kavanaugh and a woman, possibly reaching back as far as his high school years.

Of course, idiots like ThinkProgress’s Ian Millhiser floated the idea that Kavanaugh “may have committed a very serious crime — possibly even a sex crime.” A lot of people starting making #MeToo accusations.

With that insinuation floating around all day, The Guardian has a source who claims to know the contents of the letter, and … well, it doesn’t even rise to the level of Mitt Romney cutting some kid’s hair.

A source who said they were briefed on the contents of the letter said it described an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman that took place when both were 17 years old and at a party. According to the source, Kavanaugh and a male friend had locked her in a room against her will, making her feel threatened, but she was able to get out of the room. The Guardian has not verified the apparent claims in the letter. It is not yet clear who wrote it".............

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Dems would be happy to have L.Page and P.Strzok investigate this.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Guys, just stop talking about it. Good grief, the commies have you dancing on a string. Cut it out. Stop giving any validity to this disgusting bullshit. Let's move on or I'll just lock the thread. I don't want to be any part of being made to jump and dance by the LIES of this America-hating TRASH.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You might bear in mind that Feinstein herself never had much confidence in the importance of the letter.

Apparently what blew this up was an article in The New Yorker. Here are two excerpts from an online article from them today.

quote:
Feinstein's decision to handle the matter in her own office, without notifying other members of the Senate Judiciary Committee, stirred concern among her Democrat colleagues. For several days, Feinstein declined requests from other Democrats on the Judicary Committee to share the woman's letter and other relevant communications. A source familiar with the committee's activities said that Feinstein's staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members' offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had "taken care of it." On Wednsday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present...

Sources familiar with Feinstein's decision suggested that she was acting out of concern for the privacy of the accuse, knowing that the woman would be subject to fierce partisan attacks if she came forward. Feinstein also acted out of a sense that Democrats would be better off focusing on legal, rather than personal, issues in their questioning of Kavanaugh. Sources who worked for other members of the Judiciary Committee said that they respected the need to protect the woman's privacy, but that they didn't understand why Feinstein had resisted answering legitimate questions about the allegation. "We couldn't understand what their rationale is for not briefing members on this. This is all very weird," once of the congressional sources said. Another added, "She's had the letter since late July. And we all just found out about it."

Full text at http://www.newyorker.com/news/...emocrats-in-congress

The bottom line is pretty clear. DiFi herself has absolutely no confidence in the potential impact of this allegation. Maybe she really does believe it was too long ago to be actionable, but it's clearly not too old to be used as a smear. Maybe she thinks it's too petty, but, since when do the Democrats think anything is too petty? I think we need to ask ourselves whether DiFi just plain doesn't have much confidence in the allegations or the person making them - at least to the extent of their standing up to public scrutiny.

So why are the other Donkeys up in arms? Because DiFi's old, right, and in a safe seat now that DeLeon has been screwed out his turn, and this is probably her last term anyway, so she kin just doooo iiiiitt, can't she? IOW, the other Dems don't think much of this but want DiFi to gamble her credibility on what's barely a Hail Mary attempt to stop Kavanaugh's confirmation.

To carry water for them is bad enough. To carry water for them that doesn't exist, in a pail that they wouldn't touch themselves with a ten-foot pole, is downright silly.

Is there really any reason to discuss it other than that there's not going to be any news on the subject until the Committee votes on the nomination in six days?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post