SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
nhtagmember wrote:
quote:
I think that when he is confirmed, the first thing he should do is sue every democrat for slander and defamation of character.
Nothing would come of this. Ignoring the obvious double standard between Liberals and Conservatives that exists, it is extremely difficult to convict anyone of libel, slander, or defamation of character if the victim is a public personage.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I don't see why it would

they are clearly fabricating stories to destroy his reputation

they are clearly doing this to hinder the ability of the President to carry out his duly elected responsibilities

this has to stop somewhere

I don't see why they should be immune

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
There are no suits for defamation.

There is a qualified privilege to statements concerning public affairs. Given the appropriateness of inquiry into a nominee's fitness, qualifications, character, experience etc. It is inconceivable how liability would attach to nearly any statement. Opinions are not actionable anyway generally. Media is not liable unless actual malice is proven, very tough.

What are his damages? Nobody with a brain in their head gives any credance to these wild claims, so his reputation is perhaps enhanced rather than diminished.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoping the GOP holds the Senate so they can cram one more appointment down the Dems throat. The Supreme Court was one of the main reasons I voted Trump. It’s been fantastic. Pelosi’s chicken shit ploy against Kavanaugh makes me wish for a “Weekend at Ruthie’s” scenario.

Edit. Sorry. Feinstein. But really. At this point. What difference does it make. Wink

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I'd say the circus will be back in town within the next six months. RGB is not looking too perky anymore... Imagine the heads exploding when President Trump nominates her replacement.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AriOjUfbBrw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

She is complaining about the partisan treatment of Kavanaugh, which is refreshing. As to her health, she can barely hold her head up. I would be surprised if she lasts another 3-4 years.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there has to be some way to start exacting some vengeance against these people

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
there has to be some way to start exacting some vengeance against these people

The best revenge is when cases are decided right, and their goofy schemes are disallowed.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:

She is complaining about the partisan treatment of Kavanaugh, which is refreshing. As to her health, she can barely hold her head up. I would be surprised if she lasts another 3-4 years.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if she lasted another 3-4 months.

As for vengeance, the best would be to maintain control of the senate at least and get another Trump appointed supreme Court nominee on the bench.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The Farmer Who Helped Save the Law

National Review
Carrrie Severino

Back in 2014, Bruce Braley, Joni Ernst’s Democratic challenger for Iowa’s open Senate seat, warned fellow trial lawyers about the state’s senior senator, Chuck Grassley, at a fundraiser: If the Republicans win control of the Senate, “you might have a farmer from Iowa who never went to law school, never practiced law, serving as the next chair of the Senate Judiciary.” Well before Ernst’s victory, which would help return the Senate to the GOP, Braley apologized to Grassley for the remark. So should anyone else who underestimated the first non-lawyer to chair the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Grassley has shown himself equal to a succession of challenges leading up to Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination hearings. He took the gavel during one of the most trying periods any Judiciary chairman has ever faced. For years, a liberal school of legal thought permeating academia and the Democratic Party promoted the notion that life-tenured judges should treat the Constitution as a malleable vessel for the imposition of their policy preferences. The election of President Trump proved momentous to the rule of law as a new administration committed itself to the nomination of constitutionalists to the federal bench.

Democrats reacted by surpassing their prior obstructionism of nominees during Republican administrations in order to make it as difficult as possible for President Trump’s picks to be confirmed. They forced the Senate to take far more cloture votes on nominations—no matter how noncontroversial they were—than any prior Congress at the start of a presidency and made the Senate spend an unprecedented number of hours of post-cloture debate time.

They abused the committee’s blue slip tradition, which was designed to encourage consultation with a circuit or district court nominee’s home state senators. Democratic senators instead regularly engaged in an indiscriminate refusal to turn their blue slips in, obviously hoping that that would effectively kill nominations from their home states.

Grassley would have none of this abuse, instead shepherding through nomination after nomination and refusing to permit Democrats to turn the blue slip, contrary to established practice, into a veto.

The results have been nothing short of remarkable: 68 judges confirmed to date, including 26 for circuit courts. The latter figure shatters the record—22 under the first President Bush—for court of appeals confirmations during a president’s first two years, with over four months still to go before President Trump hits the two-year mark.

And Grassley’s Judiciary Committee accomplished all this while facing the challenge of filling two Supreme Court vacancies. A year and a half after the hearings for Neil Gorsuch, the opposition set the bar for antics even lower during Kavanaugh’s hearings last week.

Because their objective was to obstruct the nomination, nothing Chairman Grassley did would have satisfied Democrats, despite his commitment to provide a fair forum for his colleagues. Democrats used that forum to make a spectacle of themselves. Perhaps they underestimated a senator who was sitting on his fifteenth Supreme Court hearing since joining the Judiciary Committee in 1981.

Grassley oversaw the production of over 480,000 pages of documents, surpassing the document productions for the prior five Supreme Court justices combined. Despite that, Democrats concocted a grievance maligning the same process that was observed during the Elena Kagan nomination and demanded millions of pages more from Kavanaugh’s time occupying the White House staff secretary’s office, documents that were irrelevant to predicting judicial performance.

Democrats made their demands through shrill displays from the inception of the hearing. The minority senators interrupted the first day of hearings 63 times before lunch. Their noise was supplemented by the arrests of at least 227 demonstrators throughout the hearings. The remarkable thing is that even amid the cacophony, Sen. Cory Booker acknowledged Grassley’s widely recognized “sense of fairness and decency.” The Democrats’ big mistake: taking advantage of Grassley’s fairness and decency. The chairman’s willingness to let his Democratic colleagues speak had the effect of revealing their own lack of those traits.

Among the many misstatements and empty innuendo Democrats brought into the hearing, Booker’s Spartacus moment on the last day of Kavanaugh’s testimony deserves the blue ribbon. Although it is routine for some sensitive executive branch materials to be accessible only to the Senate as “committee confidential,” Democrats made that designation another grievance. But Grassley deftly accommodated specific requests to release any of those documents. Booker grandiloquently and dishonestly declared in his “I am Spartacus” moment that he had to violate committee rules to release (innocuous, as it turned out) Kavanaugh documents that (as it also turned out) had already been approved. Grassley’s staff had worked into the wee hours of the morning to accommodate Booker’s request.

Grassley’s commitment to transparency rendered the antics of Kavanaugh’s opponents transparent. Long before the hearings, Judiciary Committee Democrats had announced their opposition to the nominee before seeing any documents or asking any questions. The charade that they were seeking deliberation did not end with the kitchen-sink document requests or gotcha questions during the hearing. This week, the Democrats sent Kavanaugh 1,278 written questions, surpassing the total number of such questions submitted to all prior nominees in U.S. history combined.

At yesterday’s Senate Judiciary Committee business meeting, Grassley allowed votes on several additional unsuccessful dilatory motions by Democrats before making clear there would be a vote to report Kavanaugh to the full Senate during the next business meeting on September 20. He sent an unmistakable message: Any attempt at a filibuster during the meeting would not work. The Committee then proceeded to report out 11 lower court nominees to the full Senate, with more to follow next week, even with Kavanaugh on the agenda. That comports with Grassley’s work ethic.

The successful confirmation of constitutionalist judicial nominees foretells a restoration of the courts to the more modest role envisioned by the framers. That will be a victory for the rule of law and representative democracy. And it will have happened under the leadership of the Iowa farmer turned chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Link

Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
A leaked copy of the letter.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

A clear case of sexual harassment.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Anonymous accuser has come forward and claims that he was drunk, he groped her, and he covered her mouth when she tried to scream. Claims she thought he might accidentally kill her by suffocation.

Of course he denies it, more importantly a third part she claims witnessed it denies it as well.

She said/he said (they said?) with no evidence and 30+ years ago. Yet dems seem to think this warrants bringing everything to a halt to fully “investigate” this report that could have already been investigated if difi hadn’t sat on it for 3 months to save it for a last minute Hail Mary to try and stop the clock.

Here is all the investigation that is needed. She said it happened and there was a witness. The witness was contacted and said it didn’t happen. No physical evidence to support the claim. No report made at the time or since. Didn’t come forward when he as appointed to the Federal Bench.

UNFOUNDED case closed, move on.

Sure, it might have all happened, but if you wanted it to matter you should have addressed it long ago when something could be done.

Really are zero integrity fucks in this circus.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fuck them. These maggots will throw anything on the wall hoping something will stick. Ain't gonna happen.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And the alleged victim is a Kalifornia Professor which in and of itself begs the question of credibility.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ I'd like to argue or agree with you, but I've never even heard of Palo Alto University - and I used to live in the area. Bid for a better job at a better-known university, perhaps?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
This will test #metoo.

(I accidentally deleted my post while editing, whoops)

Axios reports that she says she passed a lie detector.

She allegedly told a counselor in 2012 of some attack by boys from an "elite private school."

She allegedly states that she can not remember when or where the alleged event occurred.

This will test the #metoo presumption of guilt.

Thomas did not have to face that problem with the hair and soda accusation. He was presumed innocent.

As a society we will undoubtedly face the presumption of guilt used by #metoo as we know there are efforts to make up anything to delay confirmation.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Fox News

The woman accusing Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault came forward with her explosive allegations on Sunday, saying the supposed attack "derailed me substantially for four or five years" and claiming that the episode rendered her "unable to have healthy relationships with men."

The woman, Christine Ford, is a professor at Palo Alto University, according to The Washington Post, which published her account on Sunday. Her decision to go public has capped a whirlwhind week that began when Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., sent shockwaves through Washington by announcing she had sent the FBI information about Kavanaugh she received from an anonymous accuser in July. It's also threatened to upend Kavanaugh's confirmation, as top Democrats call for a full investigation.

Republicans immediately pushed back Sunday, saying it was "disturbing" that the decades-old allegations surfaced just days before the Judiciary Committee is set to vote on whether to advance Kavanaugh's confirmation to the Senate floor. Republicans have given no indication that they intend to delay Thursday's key vote, as a series of Democratic senators demanded throughout the day.

"It’s disturbing that these uncorroborated allegations from more than 35 years ago, during high school, would surface on the eve of a committee vote after Democrats sat on them since July," Senate Judiciary Committee chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, said in a statement.

"If Ranking Member Feinstein and other Committee Democrats took this claim seriously, they should have brought it to the full Committee’s attention much earlier," he continued. "Instead, they said nothing during two joint phone calls with the nominee in August, four days of lengthy public hearings, a closed session for all committee members with the nominee where sensitive topics can be discussed and in more than 1,300 written questions."

Grassley called on Feinstein to publicly release the letter she received in July, "so that everyone can know what she’s known for weeks." He added that the sudden reveal of the allegations "raises a lot of questions about Democrats’ tactics and motives" and noted that no similar allegations had surfaced in Kavanaugh's past despite six separate federal background checks throughout his career.

Ford, a 51-year-old registered Democrat who has published in academic journals and has trained students in clinical psychology, described the alleged incident in The Washington Post on Sunday, saying it occurred during a summer day in the 1980s at a Maryland house where teens had gathered. Ford claimed she headed upstairs to a bathroom when she was suddenly pushed onto a bed, as rock-and-roll music blared.

However, Ford told The Post she did not recall exactly who owned the house, how she came to be at the house, or how the gathering was arranged. She remembered only that the house was in Montgomery County, near a country club, and that parents were not present.

Ford said Kavanaugh and a friend, Mark Judge, were "stumbling drunk" and laughing "maniacally" when Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed and tried to forcibly remove her one-piece bathing suit, as well as the clothes she was wearing. According to Ford, Kavanaugh put his hand over her mouth when she attempted to scream.

"I thought he might inadvertently kill me," said Ford, who works as a research psychologist in California. "He was trying to attack me and remove my clothing."

Ford claimed she was able to escape to a bathroom and then outside of the house when Judge jumped into the fray and sent everyone in the room "tumbling."

Judge strongly denied the allegations on Friday, when they were anonymous, saying the claims were "just absolutely nuts" and insisting that "I never saw Brett act that way."

A classmate of Kavanaugh's at Georgetown Preparatory School, Judge has gone on to write for a variety of conservative publications, including The Daily Caller.

Also on Friday, Kavanaugh released a statement through the White House as the allegations surfaced: "I categorically and unequivocally deny this allegation. I did not do this back in high school or at any time."

The White House stood by that denial on Sunday in the wake of the Post's report.

"As the story notes, we are standing with Judge Kavanaugh’s denial," White House Principal Deputy Press Secretary Raj Shah told Fox News.

The Post reported that she had contacted the newspaper in July, along with Feinstein. According to Ford, she kept the episode mostly to herself until 2012, when she mentioned it in a couple's therapy session.

The therapist's contemporaneous notes, provided to the Post, reportedly confirmed that Ford maintained she had been attacked by four individuals "from an elitist boys’ school" who are now "highly respected and high-ranking members of society in Washington." The therapist, Ford said, had confused the number of people involved in the alleged attack with the total number of people in the house.

Although Ford said she initially wanted to remain anonymous, she later changed her mind after Kavanaugh's defenders argued that the allegations were unfair.

"Now I feel like my civic responsibility is outweighing my anguish and terror about retaliation," Ford told The Post. She added that the incident "derailed me substantially for four or five years" and that "I was very ill-equipped to forge those kinds of relationships" going forward.
Republicans had accused Feinstein of orchestrating a last-minute smear after she announced she had forwarded the then-anonymous account of sexual assault to the FBI.

After Ford's interview was published Sunday, Feinstein said Kavanaugh's confirmation should be delayed pending a federal investigation -- a move that would would potentially push a confirmation vote until after the midterm elections.

"From the outset, I have believed these allegations were extremely serious and bear heavily on Judge Kavanaugh’s character," Feinstein wrote. "I support Mrs. Ford’s decision to share her story, and now that she has, it is in the hands of the FBI to conduct an investigation. This should happen before the Senate moves forward on this nominee."

That sentiment was echoed Sunday by Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., who has previously suggested Kavanaugh's hearings should be delayed for other reasons.

“Senator Grassley must postpone the vote until, at a very minimum, these serious and credible allegations are thoroughly investigated," Schumer said. "For too long, when woman have made serious allegations of abuse, they have been ignored. That cannot happen in this case."

Last week, the FBI, which conducts background checks on judicial nominees, said that it already had reviewed the allegations.

"Upon receipt of the information on the night of September 12, we included it as part of Judge Kavanaugh’s background file, as per the standard process," the FBI said in a statement. Fox News has learned that the White House would have to request that the bureau follow up on the letter for the matter to be investigated further.

On Sunday, before Ford's name came to light, Louisiana Republican Sen. John Kennedy said he was embarrassed for Congress by the unsubstantiated accusations of decades-old sexual misconduct leveled at the Supreme Court nominee.

"So far, it’s pretty much been an intergalactic freak show," Kennedy, a member of the judiciary committee, told Chris Wallace on "Fox News Sunday." "Most Americans are looking at this – most mainstream Americans – and they’re thinking that Congress has hit rock bottom and started to dig."

Kennedy said Kavanaugh's vote before the Senate Judiciary Committee would continue as planned on Thursday.

And on Friday, more than five dozen women came forward to defend Kavanaugh, calling him "a good person" in a letter to the committee.

"We are women who have known Brett Kavanaugh for more than 35 years and knew him while he attended high school between 1979 and 1983. For the entire time we have known Brett Kavanaugh, he has behaved honorably and treated women with respect," the letter read. "We strongly believe it is important to convey this information to the Committee at this time."

Link

Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
quote:
Judge strongly denied the allegations on Friday, when they were anonymous, saying the claims were "just absolutely nuts" and insisting that "I never saw Brett act that way."

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this is probably accurate, and that everything else is just a Hail Mary garbage attempt to stall the confirmation. Just a hunch. Plus the accuser is a Democrat....so yeah, just a hunch.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I thought we weren’t discussing this BS from high school?

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I thought we weren’t discussing this BS from high school?

That doesn’t make it go away, and like it or not, it is now the focus of the confirmation.