SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
this charade is gonna rally the Trump voters in November....

But it's going to rally the Left too.
The big question will be "What will the 'independents' do?
You know, the people with no political principles who blow with the wind?

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
this charade is gonna rally the Trump voters in November....

But it's going to rally the Left too.
The big question will be "What will the 'independents' do?
You know, the people with no political principles who blow with the wind?

My sense is that conservatives now have a fire in their belly (seeing that we are finally taking the country back) and they are going to come out en masse in November to keep this going.

I've certainly been wrong before, but I hope I'm not this time.

The commies can make the argument all day long that Trump is nuts, a child, a racist, a misogynist, or Lucifer himself. That's all fine and good, but they can't argue that the country itself isn't better off than it was two years ago. Hopefully that goes a long way.

With any luck at all, on Monday night, November 5th, our head mouthpiece will buy some time on the networks and give a Reaganesque "are you better off than you were four years ago" speech. I don't guess that he will, but it would sure be nice.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
From the article quoted on the preceding page by JALLEN:
quote:
For a time, Grassley tolerated the interruptions, saying it would be smoother to hear the Democrats out than to try to run roughshod over their protests. But he grew irritable as the repetitious objections piled up.

“I’m not going to entertain any of the motions you’re making; we’re not in executive session. I think we ought to level with the American people—do you want this to go on all day?” Grassley said. “Every one of you said during the Justice Gorsuch hearing, every one of you prefaced your comments on how fair I was in running that hearing. Now this is the same Chuck Grassley that ran the Gorsuch hearings. I’d like to run this hearing the same way, if you’ll give me the courtesy of doing it.”

There's been a bit of discussion over the past two days about Grassley's reasons for putting up with some of this crap. I think this is basically Grassley's answer. First he's put up with a bit of it to let the Dems embarrass themselves and see whether they won't simply cry themselves out. When that doesn't work, he's calmly explained the currently relevant facts of life and used the whole circus to make a point that will resonate in the coming election season. Who knows? In some universe there might be some chance that he'll even embarrass a Dem or two into eventually acting with some decency.

It'll be interesting to sit back and watch how well or poorly that all plays out.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TMats @ 12:47. Sasse vid; excellent. Eloquent. How can anyone listen to that and not have utter disdain for the antics of the opposition? I hope there are enough people listening.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
TMats @ 12:47. I hope there are enough people listening.

To truly get the full picture on the hearings, you pretty well had to be a nerd and watch C-SPAN all day today. I'm that nerd. I loved the impromptu civics lesson. Our click-bait media establishment works off of sound bites. They will only be focusing on the sound bites of what will surely be Dem Senators who have higher aspirations of office in 2020. Sen. Harris (D)-CA was a prime example. She started her line of questioning with a clear "gotcha" type question, trying to get the Hon. Kavanaugh to bite. Fortunately he didn't.

Sadly, the media will overlook just how qualified and recommended the Hon. Kavanaugh is, and will continue to push their filth.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, all of this puerile thrashing about makes the inevitable confirmation that much sweeter.

Oh, and Kamala the Terrible needs to be knocked right the fuck out of her chair. Shameless, pushy loudmouthed bitch.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
Senator Hirono is horribly outclassed by Judge Kavanaugh.
Come on, really? This nitwit would be completely outclassed by this guy...

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
https://babylonbee.com/news/de...not-actually-hitler/

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
https://babylonbee.com/news/se...anaugh-is-confirmed/

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Oh, and Kamala the Terrible needs to be knocked right the fuck out of her chair. Shameless, pushy loudmouthed bitch.

I'd pay good money to see this. I absofuckinglutely despise that piece of shit!

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, I've got to admit that I've cussed about the GOP not recruiting candidates that could be groomed for higher office, but...Kamala Harris and Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez? Really? That's building for the future?

Holy cats. No wonder they were willing to put up with Hill the Pill!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sen. Booker and Sen. Hirono, both Dems, have announced they are releasing "Committee Confidential" documents to the press in violation of Senate rules.

The butt hurt is strong.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
The Dems on the committee are absolutely insane.

Carry on.....

Are they sitting on the floor in a circle yet, holding hands, and singing "We Shall Overcome"?

Cory Booker is leading the mob.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sen. Booker and Sen. Hirono, both Dems, have announced they are releasing "Committee Confidential" documents to the press in violation of Senate rules.

The butt hurt is strong.

Anyone know what the punishment is for violating Senate rules? Timeout, fine, not a fucking thing and it's all a dog and pony show???

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

The butt hurt is strong.

Oh please please do. Booker said he would face the consequences up to and losing his Senate seat. Well why don't you just voluntarily quit in principle Sen. Booker?
Make your point Booker. Just up and quit and walk away because you are such a principles son of a bitch.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Anyone know what the punishment is for violating Senate rules? Timeout, fine, not a fucking thing and it's all a dog and pony show???

Senator Cornyn (R-TX) quoted the rule, verbatim. Consequences are up to and including expulsion from the Senate.

In the background, Sen. Booker was seen audibly saying "Bring it", multiple times.

Several other Senators have recognized how ridiculous he is, and have called him out for his grandstanding aspirations of higher office.

Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:

The butt hurt is strong.

Oh please please do. Booker said he would face the consequences up to and losing his Senate seat. Well why don't you just voluntarily quit in principle Sen. Booker?
Make your point Booker. Just up and quit and walk away because you are such a principles son of a bitch.

I wonder if Nike has been in contact about a possible endorsement deal?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:

Senator Cornyn (R-TX) quoted the rule, verbatim. Consequences are up to and including expulsion from the Senate.

In the background, Sen. Booker was seen audibly saying "Bring it", multiple times.

Several other Senators have recognized how ridiculous he is, and have called him out for his grandstanding aspirations of higher office.

If you are dismissed from your Senate seat for violating rules that lead to expulsion does that prohibit you from running for President. If so is Booker so incredibly dense in the head not to consider this beforehand? Or is he just consumed with becoming a martyr?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
Or is he just consumed with becoming a martyr?

Sen. Fienstein sat very quietly in her chair throughout the entire exchange. She has been through so many supreme court nominations in the past, that I think she recognizes the writing on the wall, and that Kavanaugh will be confirmed.

Sen. Booker is clearly the martyr, looking to create good soundbites for later political ads.

Of interest, Sen. Kamalah Harris, who also had a pointed line of questioning late last night, is notably absent this morning. Now that the hearing is underway, several other Democrat senators on the committee have gotten up and left the room. Their decorum is reprehensible, and needs to be displayed nationwide. Unfortunately, far too many people are the "low information voters" that truly have no clue.