SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

That said, him saying he was a virgin as a comeback is no more provable or inherently believable than their accusations against him are, and simply doesn't mean anything much. Hell, it's not even necessarily a laudable attribute. Anyone who is too pure, so to speak, is a touch suspicious. Like someone who has never even tasted alcohol. There are whole swaths of entirely normal and enormously popular human interactions and experiences they don't even have any personal experience in. And Popes and such aside, a man in this country who was still a virgin several years after high school, a smart and capable man no less, a normal/good looking man, that makes one question them even more so than normal.

This is some seriously ridiculous nonsense.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I would really like to know how Ford is doing in her dry run rehearsals w her lawyers. If she is not doing well, they might claim Grassley hasn’t met some demand for “fair” treatment. She might not testify.

I argued earlier that she might still be in trouble though. Others thought that argument was weak.

But here it is again.

1. Ford sent a letter directly to Diane Feinstein. (ltr on page 52) Feinstein is the ranking member of the Senate Judicial Comm. The earlier arguments about the letter not coming directly from Ford are incorrect.

2. The letter addresses the current nominee for the SC and identifies him by name. She describes her sexual assault claim. She says her information is relevant to evaluating the current nominee.

3. After the nominating interviews were completed and the committee was about to vote, Feinstein took the information in the letter and triggered charges that caused Grassley to reopen the hearings. Very significant actions were taken by the Judicial Committee because of the claims in the letter.

18 U.S. Code § 1001

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1001

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative , or judicial branch of the Government of the United States, knowingly and willfully—

(1) falsifies, conceals, or covers up by any trick, scheme, or device a material fact;

(2) makes any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation; or

(3) makes or uses any false writing or document knowing the same to contain any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or entry;

shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 5 years ….

(c)With respect to any matter within the jurisdiction of the legislative branch, subsection (a) shall apply only to—

(2) any investigation or review, conducted pursuant to the authority of any committee, subcommittee, commission or office of the Congress, consistent with applicable rules of the House or Senate.

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I left out parts that don’t apply. The full text is at the link.

So if Ford doesn’t testify or submit anything else to the committee, her letter of July 30, 2018 to Feinstein is the thing that formally links her to the claims. (besides interviews to the news media)

If those claims are false, she might be in jeopardy right now.

Would the REPs go after Ford and risk the negative reaction ? If they don’t address this tactic by having some “consequences”, the DEMs will just keep doing this over and over.

This present case is a good one to fight. Kavanaugh is a high quality individual. He is worth fighting for. The holes in Ford’s story might indeed be as damning as they appear to be.

One strategy could be to get Kavanaugh through the process and on the SC, then after the November election, look for ways to hold Ford accountable (assuming her story remains without basis).

It is all about consequences and accountability.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going after Ford some time next year, and winning, would seriously dampen their enthusiasm for lying and slandering. Statue of limitations is probably several years, so they have time.

Ideally she would be prosecuted before RBG drops dead.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if her claim is demonstrably false, and so far it appears to be just that, then throw the book at her

5 years in prison will do wonders for her attitude

perhaps it will be enough time for her to see the error of her ways (maybe she's not that bright), but it will be nice to see someone trying to fuck the country get a prison sentence

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Susan Collins now wants to hear the second accuser testify to a senate panel which would mean more delays...Hopefully this is just posturing by her trying to appease the metoo crowd but do the right thing when voting.

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...ate-panel-under-oath

I don't know any more than anyone else does, but that doesn't sound like an unreasonably optimistic hope.

She said "I believe the committee investigators should reach out to Deborah Ramirez to question her under oath about what she is alleging happened." The questioning under oath would have to happen before the second accuser could come before the Committee. All of that may have been preceded by the reporter's having asked Collins whether the second accuser should show up and testify on Thursday. Collin's actual response? "No, because there hasn't even been an interview of her yet and I think that needs to take place first." None of that sounds like she necessarilly buys the second accuser's allegations or is calling for further delays in the interview.

IOW, the headline that The Hill put on the article seems to have been bullshit. Perhaps it's an effort to get more eyeballs from those who hope for delay and eventually the derailment of the nomination?

FWIW, there's a mention later in the article that Grassley's spokesman told the press last night that they would be looking into the allegations from the second accuser. That's not a perfect match for what Collins said, but it sounds like what she thinks should happen was put in motion last night.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
A sitting Supreme Court Justice is not going to sue anyone for defamation. You can just put that thought out of your head.

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Susan Collins now wants to hear the second accuser testify to a senate panel which would mean more delays...Hopefully this is just posturing by her trying to appease the metoo crowd but do the right thing when voting.

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...ate-panel-under-oath

I don't know any more than anyone else does, but that doesn't sound like an unreasonably optimistic hope.

She said "I believe the committee investigators should reach out to Deborah Ramirez to question her under oath about what she is alleging happened." The questioning under oath would have to happen before the second accuser could come before the Committee. All of that may have been preceded by the reporter's having asked Collins whether the second accuser should show up and testify on Thursday. Collin's actual response? "No, because there hasn't even been an interview of her yet and I think that needs to take place first." None of that sounds like she necessarilly buys the second accuser's allegations or is calling for further delays in the interview.

IOW, the headline that The Hill put on the article seems to have been bullshit. Perhaps it's an effort to get more eyeballs from those who hope for delay and eventually the derailment of the nomination?

FWIW, there's a mention later in the article that Grassley's spokesman told the press last night that they would be looking into the allegations from the second accuser. That's not a perfect match for what Collins said, but it sounds like what she thinks should happen was put in motion last night.

Thanks for that clarification.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Susan Collins now wants to hear the second accuser testify to a senate panel which would mean more delays.
Collins is truly retarded isn't she. What an incredible dimwit to even suggest bringing that drunken nitwit into a senate hearing when she hasn't a clue what (if anything) actually happened to her. Best and brightest serving in Washington my ass.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
@flashguy, you seem like a lovely human being in several ways and that's always been obvious even just through the internet (as we've not net in person), and I know I've joked around with you about not eating cheese and such, but I have zero doubts you're a good man, a sane man, a smart man, and one who loves and has served this country, and thanks for that service if I've not said it before. You're definitely one of those types who are a virgin and yet is by all accounts (cheese aversion aside) as normal and trustworthy as anyone else, so please don't think the paintbrush I'm painting is too wide / covers you.

But in all fairness - you're an exception in my life experiences. And I've had years of repeated interactions to formulate my decidedly positive opinion about you, and you're not up for the Supreme Court, but I don't know this guy (Kavanaugh) nearly as well as I do you, and even though I've voted Republican my entire life - my support of abortion is not one of religion or not, I'm against the very notion that the government has a say it that at all. People like Kavanaugh and some of the members here want to give the most powerful government in the world even more control over the physical body and life of humans and fellow citizens, and that is an enormous problem, of truly epic proportions, to millions.

I'm not actually working against his nomination, at all, but these are certainly valid concerns, for the Left, much of the Middle, and a chunk of the Right.

I'll happily accept a States Rights approach if it's applied equally in all areas, from gay people marrying to cannabis to liquor to abortion to capital punishment. But it won't be, which renders that approach moot and a sham. I don't want my government forcing its will upon its people in such Draconian ways when barely half, if that many, support the idea.

It's wrong on so many levels. So boatloads of people are doing all of this as a response.

It's lame and bullshit how they're going about it all, but that's what it's all about for sure.

Abortion and Merrick Garland.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Susan Collins now wants to hear the second accuser testify to a senate panel which would mean more delays.
Collins is truly retarded isn't she. What an incredible dimwit to even suggest bringing that drunken nitwit into a senate hearing when she hasn't a clue what (if anything) actually happened to her. Best and brightest serving in Washington my ass.

Il Cattivo corrected me on that as she wants senate staffers/investigators contact Rameriz to ask her under oath about what she is alleging rather than a senate hearing. My guess is that she wold probably refuse to do such. Collins however is still saying she is undecided. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That said, him saying he was a virgin as a comeback is no more provable or inherently believable than their accusations against him are, and simply doesn't mean anything much.

While not "provable" beyond a reasonable doubt...

All it would take is one former girlfriend stating under oath that Kavanaugh told her he was a virgin and wanted to stay that way in spite of her willingness to have sex with him.

Nobody in HS or college turns down sex with their GF and then does what he has been accused of.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
on pg 62, Rhino posted a letter from one of Ford's attorneys, Michael Bromwich

Browmich is also Andrew McCabe's lawyer.

wiki:

Bromwich was a federal prosecutor in the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York and served as associate counsel in the Office of Independent Counsel for Iran-Contra. Bromwich was one of three lawyers for the government in the prosecution of Oliver L. North.

He was the Inspector General for the Department of Justice from 1994 to 1999

He headed an investigation into the FBI laboratory; the investigation into the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103; the FBI's conduct regarding Aldrich Ames; the handling of classified information by the FBI and the Department of Justice in the campaign finance investigation; the alleged deception of a congressional delegation by high-ranking officials of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; and the Justice Department's role in the CIA crack cocaine controversy.

When he recently went on the Ford team, he resigned from his law firm, Robbins Russell, because of objections within the firm to his being employed there while representing Ford

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:

Il Cattivo corrected me on that as she wants senate staffers/investigators contact Rameriz to ask her under oath about what she is alleging rather than a senate hearing. My guess is that she wold probably refuse to do such. Collins however is still saying she is undecided. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
And I'm still contending she's retarded. Ramirez story doesn't even hold up to the basic smell test. No need to waste 'any' time on that liberal filth. Collins needs to focus on Ford and see if she actually shows up on Thursday. And her undecided BS had better be BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChicagoSigMan:
A sitting Supreme Court Justice is not going to sue anyone for defamation. You can just put that thought out of your head.

Why? If it is not illegal to do,and Supreme Court Justices have civil rights he should.This BS has to be brought to a halt and fast or our country will be destroyed.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

"It's important to me that you personally know how sincere and thorough this effort has been"

hmmmm message ?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This Ford woman isn’t going to show up on Thursday, you watch.

They are refusing to budge on her demands (and thank God) that only the Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committe be allowed to question her and she just can’t have that.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a farce this has become. It is Senator SweinStien who needs to be censured.

Scouts Out

Posts: 1118 | Registered: May 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
hmmmm message ?

Being sensitive. The message was the handwritten postscript.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Don't forget. We have another fuckin' clown entering the game. I guess, he's trying for the Center Ring of the Circus.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe she will get pissed and blow the whistle? That might be the best possible result.

Cathy

Posts: 302 | Registered: August 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post