SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

he still uses the term "we gave them, current credible allegations"

\

I think when you read the full quote the meaning changes. What they gave the FBI was the scope of the investigation, not the allegations.

quote:
given the scope that we gave them, current credible allegations

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
not to debate this issue much, but

Flake said their scope was current credible allegations, that certainly implies Ford's allegation was credible.

I am sensitive to that because I think Ford's story is a complete fabrication.

you can have last word if you want, better things to discuss now

peace

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Are you guys just about done gnashing your teeth and pulling your hair out? Seems as if all of that worry and concern was unwarranted, and things are playing out exactly as planned. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
It is interpretation after all, to apply the founders' intentions and meanings to today's issues. Interpretation leaves room for bias.
Meanings, not intentions, are what should be the basis of decisions. Therefore judges should be calling "balls and strikes," not trying to divine what someone intended.

Here is a very good explanation on the topic, for those that actually care about the Constitution and the law, rather than trying manipulate them based on personal bias/desires:
http://www.proconservative.net...Interpretation.shtml

Again, if you are advocating for manipulation of the meaning of the Constitution and laws, as written, then you are advocating for the destruction of the very liberty the Constitution was intended to protect.

However, you statements show once again, it's not just the "left" who wishes to ignore the Constitution as written, when you find it inconvenient, and there are just as many on the "right" who are willing to ignore the proper processes laid out in the Constitution when they find it expedient to get their desired outcome through the courts, rather than the Amendment and legislative processes laid out in the Constitution.

We've discussed it here before:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...870071444#1870071444

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
... We’ve had the professionals, the FBI, determine — given the scope that we gave them, current credible allegations — to go and do their review which they’ve done,” Flake said...

I wish "credible" had been the standard. If so, no investigation would have ever been conducted.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Are you guys just about done gnashing your teeth and pulling your hair out? Seems as if all of that worry and concern was unwarranted, and things are playing out exactly as planned. Wink

Without enough Americans seeing this for exactly what it was, and expressing anger about it,Kavanaugh could have been thrown under the bus. Bork was.

I am glad to see people showing their outrage over this clown show,not only here but all over the internet.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
not to debate this issue much, but

Oh no criticism or debate intended. I was just posting the way I read it is all. I've appreciated your posts in this thread so please keep them coming.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am glad to see people showing their outrage

I'm not talking about the outrage. That is 100% justified.

I'm talking about the worry and breathlessness over every little detail that was obviously part of the overall plan. The sky is falling! It's not, it never was, and here we are.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
Flake is still trying to be relevant. I think he knows his vote no longer matters.

well to be fair and honest, his vote does matter

its just that he doesn't

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Like incompetent criminals, The Democrats couldn't plan their way out of a wet paper bag, the pure out and out lies by the three women are so obvious now; Democrat "activists" being advised by Democrat lawyers/politicians.

It seems the media is giving up on this whole charade, now they are focusing on Trump's taxes, AGAIN Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

To the point.

The "Sky" never falls.

But, the tactic is to get people focused of the falling sky, while the GDCs slowly undermine everything good that this Republic is built upon.

That belief is my continual and ever-present admonition and in everything of which I speak, and the motivation to do so.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
What I like to see from members, in a situation such as this, is confidence and defiance. I like for members to bolster each other. If this were a real battle- a life-or-death physical confrontation- would you want to be around people who go all Bill-Paxton-in-Aliens on you?

"WE'RE SCREWED, MAN!! WE'RE TOAST!! THAT'S IT!! GAME OVER!! GAME OVER!!!!"

Seriously, who wants to be exposed to that kind of shit? Don't be cynical. Instead, be resolute. Keep your fears to yourself. Buoy up your comrades. Defy the enemy. Laugh in their Goddamned faces.

Victory will be that much sweeter, and you will have demonstrated your resolve for all to see.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
AMEN

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In going with the Bosses "Aliens" theme, try to be like Vasquez - not Hudson.

Lindsay Graham has been giving it to the GDCs with both barrels all week.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Here is what Democrats and the anti-Kav crowd accomplished with their demand for an investigation. Some that believed her, though not necessarily that Kavanaugh was involved, no longer believe her at all (copy-n-pasted Tweets):

quote:

Sara Gonzales @SaraGonzalezTX

I believed Dr. Ford experienced sexual assault at some point in her life. After reading the letter her lawyers sent to @ChuckGrassley yesterday, I don't believe her anymore. At the beginning of her testimony, she said:

"My motivation coming forward was to be helpful and to provide facts about how Mr. Kavanaugh's actions have damaged my life... It is not my responsibility to determine whether Mr. Kavanaugh deserves to sit on the Supreme Court, my responsibility is to tell you the truth."

But yesterday, her lawyers stated they would not provide requested documents to the FBI that would support her testimony. They would hold on to them in an effort to strong arm the FBI to interview her (even though she had already been interviewed under oath).

If Dr. Ford's goal was truly as she stated above, that she wanted to be helpful, she would have handed over the documents so the FBI would have the "facts." If you've already put your name out there and testified in front of the whole country, and it was true, you'd cooperate.

Then I thought maybe her lawyers were keeping information from her (e.g. her confusion upon being told the committee offered to come to her so she didn't have to fly). But that would mean that she hadn't been watching any coverage, she would have had to have been sequestered.

Unless they threw her in a locked room with no access to the media and no communication with the outside world, there's no way she didn't know the FBI was requesting documents for their investigation, which means she was involved in the decision to withhold the documents.

And that's not something a survivor of sexual assault would do if her intention was to "be helpful and provide facts." It's just not logical. And it's a disgrace to sexual assault survivors who do speak out. /endrant

Thread on Twitter: I believed Dr. Ford

More agreement, in follow-ups, than criticism, last I looked. Incl. from others who've changed their minds for similar reasons.

They screwed up. Tried to hard. Sank their own leaky boat.

N.B.: As of the last Senate hearing I was willing to believe she likely suffered something. Now I, too, am firmly convinced it was a put-up job perpetrated by the left--perhaps with Democrat collusion.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Now it’s time to ahead a little and stomp at the polls every red state Democrat. Wash them out of their seats on a red tidal wave of payback. Teach them a lesson they will never forget.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
well, well, well

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...o-53-to-decide-vote/

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) signaled in an interview published Thursday that decades-old sexual misconduct allegations against Brett Kavanaugh will not play a major role in his vote on the judge’s Supreme Court confirmation.

Manchin, a key Democrat swing vote, lamented the Senate Judiciary Committee’s handling of its investigation into allegations against Kavanaugh, describing the previous few weeks as “horrible” and a “circus.”

I am looking at the gentleman as an adult from 22 to 53 , thirty-one years of professional service,” Manchin told Al-Jazeera. “I am looking at him as a father. As a person in a community, how he interacts with his community. I am trying to put the human side to it.”

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

is there a hint in there ? anybody ?

there is a video of Manchin saying that at the link

in the video Manchin says he is looking "for clarity" in the report. At the time of this statement, Manchin had not read the report yet

Posts: 19574 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Applicable to all the bitches - Schumer, Booker, Harris, DiFi, and the rest of the GDCs.

Or like "Operation Market Garden", they tried for a "Bridge Too Far"...

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The chickens are coming home to roost, and much more quickly than I would have thought.

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A happy day – the wheels are coming off the Ford wagon! I’m happily puffing Patriot Flake (Dan Tobacco) in my American made Kirsten Mariner pipe.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post