SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Feinstein starts it. The ruin of Kavanaugh begins!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, they are pulling out all the stops...

So, if you tell everyone, broadcast it in social media, and do a press release how is it a "secret"

Dems send secret letter to FBI

Senate Democrats have referred a letter concerning Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh to the FBI for investigation.

"I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further," Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said on Thursday.

"I have honored that decision. I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities," she continued.

A source familiar with the matter confirmed to The Hill that the letter had been referred to the FBI for investigation.

Democrats on Thursday began to publicly acknowledge the existence of the letter that had previously been rumored on Capitol Hill.

Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), the No. 2 Senate Democrat and member the Judiciary Committee, told BuzzFeed News that it had "been referred to the FBI for investigation."

But lawmakers are tightlipped about the contents of the letter and have not publicly disclosed what it says or what it is about, beyond being broadly related to Kavanaugh.

Over the past two days Feinstein has declined to answer questions from reporters on Capitol Hill about the letter, which was reportedly first given to Calif. Rep. Anna Eshoo (D).

Questions about the letter boiled over on Wednesday after The Intercept published a report saying Feinstein had refused to share the content of the letter with other members on the committee.

Sources told The Intercept that the letter was relayed to lawmakers by an individual affiliated with Stanford University. Some sources told the publication that it was about an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school.

Attorney Debra Katz is believed to be representing the woman who is the subject of the letter, though she did not confirm that to The Intercept. She also declined to confirm to BuzzFeed News that she is representing the woman, and did not comment further.

The letter comes as Kavanaugh's nomination is moving forward in the Senate despite an intense fight over documents and questions from Democrats about if he misled the Judiciary Committee.

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), the chairman of the committee, has scheduled a committee vote on his nomination for Sept. 20 at 1:45 p.m. Because Republicans hold a majority on the panel his nomination is expected to be sent to the full Senate late next week.

George Hartmann, a spokesman for Grassley, said that the GOP senator had not seen the letter, but there were no plans to change the committee's consideration of Kavanaugh.

"Senator Grassley is aware of Senator Feinstein’s referral. At this time, he has not seen the letter in question, and is respecting the request for confidentiality. There’s no plan to change the committee’s consideration of Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination," he said.

Several moderate senators in both parties remain undecided and their votes on Kavanaugh will make or break whether he gets confirmed later this month.

The White House dismissed the letter as a last-ditch attempt by Democrats to derail Kavanaugh's nomination.

"Senator Schumer promised to ‘oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have,’ and it appears he is delivering with this 11th hour attempt to delay his confirmation," White House spokesperson Kerri Kupec said in a statement.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a member of the committee, told CNN that he hadn't seen the letter but "it smacks of desperation to me."

Brian Fallon, a spokesman for Demand Justice, said in a tweet that "undecided senators should be asked if they still see 'no red flags' on Brett Kavanaugh."

-Jordan Fabian contributed to this report which was updated at 2:05 p.m.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
Truly, some of the most repulsive humans on the planet are in Washington.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The proper response from Grassley and McConnell is : "Go to hell, bitch. Let's vote."

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some sources told the publication that it was about an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school.

This nonsense has run the gamut.

In High School, seriously? Could give two shits what happened decades ago in High School. If it wasn’t important enough then it is not important enough now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Some sources told the publication that it was about an incident involving Kavanaugh and a woman while they were in high school.

In High School, seriously? Could give two shits what happened decades ago in High School. If it wasn’t important enough then it is not important enough now.

I heard he held the door open for a woman - while it was acceptable then, under the new SJW rules, that is gender-shaming.

<sarcasm>

Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Same old shit that was done to Ray Moore and Clarence Thomas. They are desperate and despicable. Time to go on with the vote for confirmation. If they threaten to try and impeach a Justice Kavanaugh I believe any alleged offense needs to happen while they are in their current position. Otherwise they are hoping that they get a couple senators to change from yes to confirm to no or to force delay of the confirmation until after the midterms.

Anyone else think the timing is a bit suspicious?

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think for a minute that whomever is the next Supreme Court Justice, (And I hope it is Mr. Kavanaugh) will always remember the treatment they received from the left.

They will know the consequences of letting these people run amuck in our government,courts and general policies.

So keep it up,with all your dirty little tricks. We want people to remember.

Ginsberg,Kagan,and Sotomayer were always treated with respect in their nomination process and I would say even they will be looking hard at the treatment Mr. Kavanaugh has received.

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I'd say the circus will be back in town within the next six months. RGB is not looking too perky anymore... Imagine the heads exploding when President Trump nominates her replacement.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I'd say the circus will be back in town within the next six months. RGB is not looking too perky anymore... Imagine the heads exploding when President Trump nominates her replacement.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AriOjUfbBrw" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

LMFAO she looks like Steven Hawkins in drag!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Same old shit that was done to Ray Moore and Clarence Thomas. They are desperate and despicable. Time to go on with the vote for confirmation. If they threaten to try and impeach a Justice Kavanaugh I believe any alleged offense needs to happen while they are in their current position. Otherwise they are hoping that they get a couple senators to change from yes to confirm to no or to force delay of the confirmation until after the midterms.

I predicted this during the hearings. If it gets to that, we will eventually see a teary woman sobbing at the table with Gloria Allred by her side, barely able to function because this monster treated her like crap and did unspeakable things, long ago. She was so ashamed, she couldn’t talk about it until now, but .....

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://theintercept.com/2018/...on-dianne-feinstein/

Feinstein has released a statement Thursday afternoon acknowledging the existence of the letter. “I have received information from an individual concerning the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.

That individual strongly requested confidentiality, declined to come forward or press the matter further, and I have honored that decision. I have, however, referred the matter to federal investigative authorities,” she said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There is "no low" too low for the DEMs

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Feinstein had her Chinese driver deliver the letter to FBI headquarters?

Posts: 12658 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

I predicted this during the hearings. If it gets to that, we will eventually see a teary woman sobbing at the table with Gloria Allred by her side, barely able to function because this monster treated her like crap and did unspeakable things, long ago. She was so ashamed, she couldn’t talk about it until now, but .....

Yes you did predict that and I felt the same way. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next week and if the confirmation vote is delayed or not. If nothing else this may be a ploy to give cover to democrat senators up for election in red states cover for not voting for Brett Kavanaugh saying they could not vote for anyone with such an allegation about them.

I expect McConnell would do a head count vote with the republican senators just before a full vote is going to happen in the senate and if he can not get 50 of them to commit to yes then the vote will be delayed for who knows how long.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Schumer and Bernie will do a Weekend At Bernie Sanders for as long as the corpse don’t stunk too bad with old Ruthie. This latest truck with Kavanaugh won’t stick it’s too late in the game. High school?? Who gives a shit I wonder what kind of grab ass ol Willy Clinton was playing in high school?
Hell we still don’t know what obama did in college except ride around in the choom mobile.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
No point (except political, which is the only point) in sending it (whatever it is) to the FBI, because the statute of limitations renders it legally meaningless.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Kavanaugh went to Georgetown Preparatory for high school, an all-boys school.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

I expect McConnell would do a head count vote with the republican senators just before a full vote is going to happen in the senate and if he can not get 50 of them to commit to yes then the vote will be delayed for who knows how long.

And if he can, the committee will vote and we’ll stand by for even more heinous accusations and antics from these God Damned Commies!

The FBI is hot on this. Kavanaugh has been interviewed numberous times for his various jobs, and didn’t mention anything like this. Lying to the FBI?

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
a big nothing burger

an anonymous source is as reliable as the name suggests

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No wonder she was relatively benign during the hearings. She was already holding an extra wild card up her sleeve.

There is no negotiating with these people. The Republicans in Congress need to stick it to the Democrats every chance they get.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post