SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I never realized how l. O. N. G. 5 minutes could be. A re-cap of a re- cap of a re-cap. I yield my remaing time.

Clowns all must have a chance to speak.

CLOWNS!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The dems are digging in even more. And frankly, good. They apparently have no idea the damage they are doing to themselves.

image hosting

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
We gotta listen to the entire Senate rehashing what they have already said? Nobody is going to change their mind. Vote already.

This is the Judiciary Committee. The vote has been set for 1:30 eastern.

The vote that counts is the full Senate, probably next week.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
An ignominious end to a senatorial career, and all at Christine Blasey Ford’s expense.

IMO, Feinstein is done. The voters in CA will either see her as the incompetent old hag who couldn't shut down Kavanaugh, or as the old hag who put Ford through the wood chipper.

Just as Graham redeemed himself yesterday, Feinstein sunk to new lows.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Cry me a river you loser harris. Get back in the hearing room where you are supposed to be and wait your turn. Fucking attention whore.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to see Harris and Booker run for Prez.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Democrats again show they have no idea how to act like responsible adults.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Blumenthal, Harris and Hiroshima are out in the lobby and found a microphone and are hammering the FBI horse. I'm waiting for some epic Trump Tweets!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now we've got Sheila Jackson Lee at the mic. Now it's a party... Big Grin

Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Sen. Flake to vote yes.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-...irm-brett-kavanaugh/

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I think we are going to see some violent protests this weekend and the period up to the confirmation vote. I really hope extra security is being provided to republican senators.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

I've never won the lottery but I think I have a idea now how it might feel because watching all the pain and anguish these commies are going through is quite exciting!

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
I never realized how l. O. N. G. 5 minutes could be. A re-cap of a re- cap of a re-cap. I yield my remaing time.

Clowns all must have a chance to speak.

CLOWNS!!

RMD

Somebody should remind them that unless their name is Bozo or Pennywise, clowns don't speak.

They really need to grow up if they want to continue to represent our country, but sadly, that's practically* hopeless.

* I say practically since it seems Lindey Graham did it yesterday after years of making us wonder if it would ever happen.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Everyone in America should be angry about what happened in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Weekly Standard
Jonathan V. Last

1) The Democrats screwed America. It doesn’t matter if you believe Christine Blasey Ford or Brett Kavanaugh. Both sides were done a tremendous disservice by the manner in which Senate Democrats deliberately slow-walked these charges because they thought that they could be used to kill the Kavanaugh nomination.

Holding Ford’s allegations until after the initial hearings publicly exposed both Dr. Ford and Judge Kavanaugh in ways that were absolutely unnecessary. It hurt both of these people and their families. And it hurt the rest of America, too. It has sowed discord in a society that is already on the brink. (Which makes it harder for women to bring assault claims.) It has taken a pole-axe to the last institution of government that the public had any faith in, while simultaneously breaking the Supreme Court confirmation process going forward.

And it did a disservice to the truth. Because the way to get to the truth—if that was even a possibility to begin with—was to handle this weeks ago when it could have been done behind closed doors.

The only people to benefit from what the Democrats did with Ford’s allegations is the group whose primary goal was stopping Kavanaugh from getting on the High Court. It’s despicable and they deserve the scorn of all Americans. And special scorn should be reserved for Dianne Feinstein, who—there is no other way to say this—simply used Ford, even though she understood what it would cost the woman.

2) Senators are the worst. As my colleague Rachael Larimore pointed out, the best part of the hearings was prosecutor Rachel Mitchell. She was serious, respectful, smart, and asked questions designed to shed light on the actual facts of case. The truth is, the hearings would have been more useful if Mitchell had conducted all of the questioning herself.

The senators, on the other hand? Disgraces. They filibustered and preened. They had petty procedural arguments. They looked exactly like the petty narcissists they are. And this goes, with at best two or three exceptions, for both the Democrats and the Republicans on the committee.

3) No matter what happens going forward, everyone has already lost. It doesn’t matter who you believe or who you want on the court. If Kavanaugh’s nomination implodes now, we have lowered the evidentiary standard for wrecking a nomination to the point where bad actors will be incentivized to make things up.

If Kavanaugh is confirmed, he will carry a cloud over him for the entirety of his tenure. Any decisions in which he’s the swing vote will be even more contentious. And you can bet the milk money that the next time Democrats have unified control of government, they’re going to want to expand the Supreme Court to 11 seats.

To paraphrase Tony Stark, there’s no throne here. There’s no scenario in which anyone rides off into the sunset, happy.

Everyone is walking away worse off than they were a month ago.

And it’s going to get worse still.

4) There is reason to believe either Ford or Kavanaugh; but you should not trust people who believe either of them with total certainty. What do we know, really? Not much. Both Ford and Kavanaugh made plausible cases for their versions of events. Both sides had inconsistencies. And you can construct reasonable answers for the holes in either of their stories.

Ford’s conduct thus far—not just at the hearing but from the moment she reached out to her elected representatives—seems to have been in good faith. And she has no discernible motive for coming forward.

Kavanaugh, of course, does have a motive to deny the charges, but his conduct in answering the committee has also been exemplary. He has not equivocated or lawyered his way through this gauntlet.

The hearings were a credibility contest, a Rorschach test, and as such, served mostly to reinforce people’s priors. But no impartial observer could emerge from Thursday with total certainty that one of the parties was representing the perfectly-true course of events.

If you aren’t split at least 80-20, then you’re probably looking at this wrong.

5) We are where we are. At the end of the day, it’s no use lamenting the foolish choices that led us to this point because we can’t unmake them. The best we can do is try to figure out what incentive structure led people to make them in the first place, and then try to change it.

That’s a big question. And the most depressing possible answer is that this spectacle—like the spectacle of the Trump presidency—is merely a symptom of the larger disease.

It’s impossible to look at the Ford-Kavanaugh hearings and not see America as a nation in decline.

6) This is Anthony Kennedy’s final kiss-off to the country. As Sonny Bunch quipped:

Tony Kennedy’s entire tenure on the bench was marked by arbitrary and capricious decisions in which American life was remade based on what the associate justice had for breakfast. His decisions sowed legal chaos by untethering constitutional law from any discernible logic or principles.

And as he rides off into the sunset, Kennedy tossed one more grenade into America’s living room.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
An ignominious end to a senatorial career, and all at Christine Blasey Ford’s expense.

IMO, Feinstein is done. The voters in CA will either see her as the incompetent old hag who couldn't shut down Kavanaugh, or as the old hag who put Ford through the wood chipper.

Just as Graham redeemed himself yesterday, Feinstein sunk to new lows.

It won't make a difference out here...

She is being challenged by Kevin DeLeon who is a progressive commie gun grabber.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:

You got that right! There are Congressional offices that have sort of a "swear box," where the staffers all kick in a dollar every time she appears at the mic on C-Span or a news station. Then they use the money to buy lunch for the whole office every so often.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I hope the Republicans learn a valuable lesson here to stop demurring.

Be bold, stick together, get with the program and you can defeat Democrats in the political arena as well as get things done legislatively.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31425 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Has anyone noticed the totals at Fords "Go Fund Me" pages? Could THAT have been HER reason behind this farce from the start?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
An interesting video by a body language expert on Ford's testimony yesterday. I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds line she was coached, prepped, rehearsed, etc for two weeks prior to yesterday, including mannerisms, facial expressions, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...dPI&feature=youtu.be

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
You know damn well it was. The full power of Hollywood make up and acting classes, PR firm organization, the whole enchilada.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post