SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun....
Page 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 ... 239
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The SCOTUS confirmation circus has begun.... Login/Join 
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
I have read, and heard Mitchel advise Judge Kavanaugh during the hearing, that there is no statute of limitations in the jurisdiction where this occurred. Why has no journalist interviewed local law enforcement or prosecutors to see if they intend to investigate? Why are no charges being pursued?
Well, I will state up front I haven't read the relevant statutes, but my understanding is the removal of the statute of limitations, regarding certain sex crime felonies in that jurisdiction, was removed long after the alleged incident, and is not "retro-active." If that's true, then he couldn't be charged.

Aside from the viability of any criminal case, as said before, while it would benefit everyone to be able to prove or disprove the allegation, I don't see how that could be done. The accuser is unable provide details that would allow investigators to corroborate or refute the accusation. There is no known date/time of the alleged incident. There is no known location for the alleged incident. The only people whom the accuser can recall being present have denied the any knowledge of the incident, including one person who denies ever being at any party with the accused, and there are no other known witnesses. Therefore, there are no viable leads.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I look for Hirono, Booker and Harris to walk out at some point. "No, no, no!" Drama Queens Roll Eyes

Posts: 1361 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Democrats on the committee are leaving now seemingly out of protest, namely Harris, Idiot Hirono, and Spartacus.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:
I look for Hirono, Booker and Harris to walk out at some point. "No, no, no!" Drama Queens Roll Eyes

Yup, they just did. Children all of them.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Temper tantrum when you can't get your way.

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It is often very frustrating trying to ram the square peg of fiction through the round hole of truth.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The democrats just won't quit.
Unless we electorally destroy them, they wont.

It's a mistake to think that they will let go of any bone they can grab on to.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://www.foxnews.com/politic...h-as-vote-looms.html

The sex-crimes prosecutor Republicans hired to question Brett Kavanaugh and accuser Christine Blasey Ford at Thursday's hearing told senators the case would not hold up in a courtroom, sources told Fox News—guidance that could prove critical as wavering lawmakers prepare to vote.

The prosecutor, Rachel Mitchell, spoke at an overnight meeting where all 51 Republican senators were present, two people briefed on the session said.

“Mitchell spelled it out and was clear with senators that she could not take this anywhere near a courtroom,” one source told Fox News. She told them she would not charge the Supreme Court nominee and reportedly said she wouldn't even seek a search warrant.

Mitchell’s opinion could sway fence-sitting senators ahead of a critical Senate Judiciary Committee vote set for Friday morning.

It is not necessary for Kavanaugh to secure majority approval of the committee in order to advance to the full Senate, but a favorable recommendation could bode well for his imperiled nomination -- and vice-versa.

48 Republican senators have now pledged to vote for Kavanaugh at the scheduled full Senate vote on Tuesday. The outstanding Republicans are Sens. Susan Collins of Maine, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, and Mike Enzi of Wyoming. Enzi is expected to vote in support of Kavanaugh, but has said he won’t announce his position until he votes.

Posts: 19563 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Well said, sdy

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
The democrats just won't quit.

Unless we electorally destroy them, they wont.

It's a mistake to think that they will let go of any bone they can grab on to.

Yep. The events unfolding in the past weeks should serve as a stark reminder.

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Fox news reporting that Flake will vote to confirm Kavanugh.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.9mm:

Odd, these jackals looked so disturbingly jovial moments before yesterday's proceedings.

Sickening.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Feinstein is reciting Ford's entire testimony. It sure sounds good unless somebody asks a question then it melts like a snowball in hell.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I’m starting to get that giddy feeling again like I had when Trump won

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1302 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
An ignominious end to a senatorial career, and all at Christine Blasey Ford’s expense.

American Spectator
Melissa Mackensie

It all goes back to Senator Dianne Feinstein. The shady allegations suddenly becoming public. The late hour shenanigans. The lying to colleagues. The using of a clearly damaged Christine Blasey Ford. The dragging of Brett Kavanaugh and his family through this fetid mess. Every part of this is the ranking Democrat’s fault.

Finally, at the end of the day, Senator Cruz and then Senators Cornyn and Grassley confronted her about her perfidy.

The Senator from California seemed genuinely shocked to be called out. Her befuddlement is laughable. How, precisely, did the news of the existence of Dr. Ford come to the public when only Senator Feinstein and a Congresswoman and their staffs had access to the letter in question?

Senator Feinstein ended up blaming Dr. Ford and her “beach friends.”

Speaking of those beach friends… Dr. Ford didn’t tell anyone, not her parents, not no one except for her Congresswoman, Senator Feinstein, the Washington Post, and her beach friends. She wanted to keep this private. Her letter was leaked. But Senator Feinstein insists it wasn’t her. And Dr. Ford insists it wasn’t her.

To reiterate, Dr. Ford claimed to want to keep this private. Her lawyers kept from her, evidently, the fact that the Republicans would have been happy to have her forensically interviewed in California what with her obvious fear of flying. She seemed shocked by this possibility. Her attorneys seemed dismayed, too.

This was not going according to plan.

After the morning’s testimony and no real progress and no real solid anything coming of it except the last two or three questions by Rachel Mitchell, many, including Judge Napolitano and renowned attorney and professor Alan Dershowitz thought the questioning of Dr. Ford was a bust. I’m no attorney and not versed in legal anything, but optics and public relations I do understand and Mitchell was the perfect choice. Here are the reasons:

1. Mitchell gently laid meandering ground work that subtly revealed the lack of substantiation.

2. She was collegial, kind, quiet, and deferential to Dr. Ford. No one could get their arms around the questions. Mitchell was never the focus. She melted into the background. That much is obvious considering how there’s zero clips of any exchanges between the women. There’s no video of a traumatized victim being harassed. This is important longterm. The real fight wasn’t in the Senate chamber but on the news after this hearing. No clips. No video on endless repeat on NBC, CNN, etc. They salivated for it. The counsel for Dr. Ford were overheard asking the cameramen to not focus on Ms. Mitchell but to include the Senators. For once, Republicans were savvy. The questioner wasn’t up on the dais but low, level with the accuser.

3. Then, at the end of this gentle questioning, Ms. Mitchell asked the important questions. They were the questions lingering in the minds of everyone going into lunch. “You don’t remember who drove you home?” “You realize that this isn’t the best forum for these questions?” “It would be better to conduct this in private, don’t you agree?” Clever. Delegitimatize the process. Dr. Ford was a hapless victim, see? She would have preferred to be questioned in private and the Democrats denied the wishes of their own witness. No direct assault. No abuse. No cross-examination. No assumption of her being a liar.

4. The Republicans resisted the urge to say anything and shut up. Thank God. It would have been a disaster. Both Senator Graham and Senator Cruz could have made short work of Dr. Ford’s monster-truck sized holes in her story, but that wasn’t the point. The point was to recognize the political game being played and refuse to play it. Their restraint should be saluted. If this were a criminal trial, Dr. Ford’s allegations wouldn’t make it past a police officer’s desk. Everyone in that room knows this. The only purpose was spectacle and to portray Republicans a malevolent Old White Men. Sorry, Dems, you got outplayed on this one.

Which brings us back to Senator Feinstein. She dropped this bomb upending the process and dealing contemptuously with her own witness, Judge Kavanaugh, her Republican colleagues, and her fellow Americans. When the original hearing didn’t go as planned, when the only dirt was baseball tickets and beer, something drastic had to be done. This last-hour desperation meant expending a cartel-load of political capital but things like Senator Feinstein’s future was at stake — never mind the Senate control and the Supreme Court balance and most of all, the cultural control that leftists hold so dear. So Senator Feinstein lit everything on fire and burned it all.

This ugly sham will be the Senator’s legacy and her shame. At the end of her career (because win or lose, her career as Senator is over), Dianne Feinstein upended the rule of law and laws of common decency. She abused a fragile woman and attempted to destroy a decent man and his family for one reason: power. Her power.

Hope the spectacle was worth it. It won’t be videos of the male Republicans that will be the legacy of this farce, it will be Senator Feinstein: fumbling, shocked, caught in a trap of her own making. She should pay for her malice dearly, she’s caused incalculable damage to many innocent people — not least of all the American citizens she claims to represent.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Feinstein is such a tool.

We must end the Democratic party at the polls. They are parasites on our political system.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Stall stall stall, because we need time to get more bogus accusers out there. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never realized how l. O. N. G. 5 minutes could be. A re-cap of a re- cap of a re-cap. I yield my remaing time.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
We gotta listen to the entire Senate rehashing what they have already said? Nobody is going to change their mind. Vote already.

ETA: I can't listen to this anymore. Let me know the verdict.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Listening to Feinstein speak right now (it's really quite disgusting and beyond hypocritical what she's saying by the way), it's very clear that the next couple of days before the official vote is taken are going to be very very long. The dems are digging in even more. And frankly, good. They apparently have no idea the damage they are doing to themselves.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Does each clown get to make a statement? Why not vote. You know where they stand; no words will change any position. Senate rules suck. VOTE DAMN IT!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post