SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's asking the impossible... I know
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's asking the impossible... I know Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
Short version: Would like to buy/build a cat house outdoors that keeps out all other animals except it's actual cat residence.

I know, I know... sounds impossible. If she can climb into it so can a racoon/fox/other cat...

Just wondering what the Sig brains think...

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3810 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
There are "doggy doors" with electronic locks.

The animal wears a collar with a transmitter, and the lock on the flap will only disengage when the transmitter is near.

You could install one of those as the means of entry into the outdoor house, meaning only your cat can get inside.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put a lock on the door, give the key to the cat. Problem solved! Cool

Seriously, some sort of electronic lock and a collar with a transmitter would be the only bet. I've thought about it myself, although my cats are kept indoors.

P.S. Just like RogueJSK described!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They make some doggie/kitty doors that unlatch via some sort of RFID collar. Just a thought.

Tommy
ETA Rogue beat me to it.

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
That is pretty freakin' cool! Technology right? One thought: if she's in there with the collar on then the door is unlocked right? So another animal could get in while she's in there, yes?

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

The animal wears a collar with a transmitter, and the lock on the flap will only disengage when the transmitter is near.

You could install one of those as the means of entry into the outdoor house, meaning only your cat can get inside.

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
She has no thumbs... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

Seriously, some sort of electronic lock and a collar with a transmitter would be the only bet. I've thought about it myself, although my cats are kept indoors.

P.S. Just like RogueJSK described!

- Frank Castle

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've seen cat runs/enclosures that go to a window or door. It allows the cat to go from outdoors to indoors to outdoors to indoors ad nauseam, but it keeps other animals out.

Here is an example:

Another example:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For clarification, do you want a separate cat abode that has no attachment to your home, or are you looking for ingress/egress from your home while locking out other critters?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Daughters cat enjoys the outdoors in the screened in pool area, so put in a pool, cover it with a screen and you are golden... No keys or thumbs, electronic lock gizmos needed...

When our daughters cat was here for several months while she moved the cat lived on the patio, loved being outside, and in FL we have little gecko lizards and they'd get into the pool area.

Needless to say we began to find dead lizards all the time. After she left it took a few months for the lizard population to return, in the meantime the bug population grew, funny how one change can effect the whole pool ecosystem..

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have 6 "indoor" cats that are not permitted to roam outside. However, I have an upstairs screened-in balcony and installed a pet door in one of the window panes of the French Door to it. The cats can enjoy a taste of the outdoors without the dangers.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I think they call it a catio Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1721 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:

You can not trust a cat to not lose their door key. Get one with a combination lock.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I should have taken this post as a sign. Last night, something happened at the shelter I'd provided to our neighborhood three "wild" cats. We have a styrofoam cooler with a flat lid and a hole in it. I fill it with straw. I keep it under our picnic table. I actually wedge it in there, -- which I now feel is a mistake. That lid need to be able to pop off if there's danger.

The cooler was pushed back and the lid was ajar. Hopefully everything ok. I saw one of them so far, but not the ones I believe live in there.

Posts: 11356 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

The animal wears a collar with a transmitter, ...

Collars and outdoor cats are not a good mix. Good way for the cat to get stuck or hang.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

The animal wears a collar with a transmitter, ...

Collars and outdoor cats are not a good mix. Good way for the cat to get stuck or hang.

Always buy breakaway collars for your cats.

If you are going with a locking cat door buy a good one. I purchased a door that was only locked from pushing in. All was good until raccoons found out they could pull the door up and open it.

My Son has outdoor cats he made a small cat hut with foil faced foam board. The hut is in an unheated building with a cat door. But the thing the cats love is a mat in the hut that is made for small animals it is a heating pad that turns on with the weight of a cat. The cats love this in the winter.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Before you build a cat house, check your local regulations. They had to shut one down that had a bar downstairs, supposedly due to too much fucking overhead.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a former owner of multiple indoor / outdoor cats, I would go with a catio. One of my friends built one and put a tree branch in it large enough to hold numerous cats. The cats loved perching and scratching on the branch.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Are you saying you want to have the best little cat house in MD? Big Grin

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the red light.
Mandatory in a cat house.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There must be a way to harness facial recognition software......

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post