SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I Wrong for Not Wanting to Work with a New Boss
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I Wrong for Not Wanting to Work with a New Boss Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you’re not willing to be the boss, you assume the risk of working under a boss you don’t approve of. Comes with the territory. I’ve left more than one place of employment because of an insufferable manager.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What red flags is Bob throwing off? It's hard to judge if your actions are justified without knowing more details about those red flags. In a lot of instances it's not about professional reasons people don't like or want to work for the new boss but personal reasons. With 40 years on the job you ought to be able to retire unless it's not financially feasible for you to do so, if that's the case tread carefully least you find yourself fired after 40 years.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Do you like getting a paycheck? No idea of the context with this situation, but you can either keep working or find a new job. Jobs are kind of like clothes - try one on and if it doesn't fit - move on and try another one.

Bottom line is, you're either a super hero, or no different than any replaceable employee. There's only one way to find that out and it is to put your notice in.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Two years from retirement? Forty years on the job? Maybe too late, but my advice, tread lightly. You could be seen as the problem.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since it appears that 5 other team members have the same read as you on 'Bob', you at least are quite certain that you are not nuts.

40 years? You eligible for your pension?

Been there, with a bad manager who became director. I should have left, but at those times, things were bad in IT all around. Plus I had silver handcuffs, so for fiscal reasons, not easy to walk away. Then the whole IT decimation by job exporting and H1B importing.

I wish you the best. Dealing with it mentally is hard - painful.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
After 40 years I'd be asking myself why I'm not the boss.

He may be in a sort of situation like I find myself.

I fly planes, I love flying planes even when I hate flying planes.

If I started a climb up the corporate ladder, which I could, I would no longer fly planes, I would fly a desk where I would dream about flying planes. And that would just suck.

Sounds like my wife a retired Registered Nurse. She ended up managing and no longer being a "nurse". She retired when the head aches of dealing with staff wore her out.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
While I'm empathetic, I recall a few sayings I've learned business owners/presidents are fond of:

"The boss isn't always right, but he's always the boss."

"The tail doesn't wag the dog."

and

"He works for us. We don't work for him."

Displaying a negative attitude, IMO, is likely to backfire on you in one way or another, eventually. Make your concerns known, but express your desire to carry out top management's wishes to the best of your ability, for the good of the company.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
I was sorta in this position at one time. I didn’t at that time have the service edge that you have, but I found doing everything ‘by-the-book’ is a pretty powerful tool to ‘break-in’ the new boss who has no clue. It’s not always the best course, but management has little to no recourse if you play strictly by their rules and force them into a position to do the same. I was asked by the manager’s manager to stop it. My response was when you get rid of Bob as he has no clue about what to do and is dangerous to the business. Eventually they did, but it does take time and is annoying to everyone.

I have heard that strategy referred to as "malicious compliance". Do exactly what they tell you to do so they can see how stupid it is.
It works.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
While I'm empathetic, I recall a few sayings I've learned business owners/presidents are fond of:

"The boss isn't always right, but he's always the boss."

"The tail doesn't wag the dog."

and

"He works for us. We don't work for him."

Displaying a negative attitude, IMO, is likely to backfire on you in one way or another, eventually. Make your concerns known, but express your desire to carry out top management's wishes to the best of your ability, for the good of the company.

Good stuff here. You should never agree to do anything unethical or illegal, but other than that, they are in charge.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
If you make too big of a stink about a new boss, the "retirement" choice might not be yours to make...

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I'll add to my previous comments, I've been with the same medium-sized company since '94. The most shocking firings have been people who were there for a long time, and often thought/acted as if they were almost unfireable. They were wrong.

I know that's a harsh message, but it's the truth.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The OP has 40 years, he has more than enough seniority to get on days (nights are a negative for most people, and get off them ASAP). I'm betting the boss who is promoting Bob knows he is a problem waiting to happen, and is counting on the OP to babysit him until he straightens out. Also, with 40 years, the OP getting fired a couple years short of retirement screams age discrimination, especially since he is only requesting day shift after all that time.

If they wouldn't let me on days, I'd go the malicious compliance route, follow Bob's instructions to the T after documenting them, and let him crash and burn.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
A little perspective here.. OP isn't asking for a raise, or time off, or any special treatment.

He's asking to change shifts and he's senior. Every place I've ever worked with multiple shifts, senior guys had first choice of shifts.

It's showing entitlement mentality, that despite established rules for shifts and seniority, people seem to think he 'owes' it to the company to stay on that shift just to do the extra work of training the questionable new guy.

Everybody plays by the same rules.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
...You should never agree to do anything unethical or illegal...

I took that stand a couple times and ended up being forced out. The boss always wins, even if he's criminally wrong, so if that's the situation you're in, quit before you end up with a conviction. I witnessed an innocent employee get convicted and do prison time after being framed by senior management of a failing bank. Lucky for me, I was headhunted for a position at another bank just before the shit hit the fan. None of those actually responsible for the collapse ever were charged.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OP Here. I see some wonder why I'm not the boss after 40 years. Well the deal is I'd have to give up about 30,000 in pay and 2 possibly 3 weeks of vacation. Bosses don't get overtime. They would then tell me what shift to work and when. I could be terminated at any time.

I've been working 5 tens and 5 on Saturday for the last 8 years. I most likely make more than my bosses boss. I'm a tool maker, which they don't seem to be able to hire ( due to a 2 tier wage scale for 2 years and no one wants to work nights) and a proud union member. The company has stripped supervisors of the authority to fire or reprimand workers without filling out paperwork and making a request. I'd need a jug, a gun and an under age girl to get fired.

I don't make trouble, don't smooch da' pooch, I'm pretty good at what I do and generally keep my head down. Pension? Pension? That would hardly pay my utilities, oh.. and we lost that at contract 5 years ago.

Thanks for the great input gentlemen.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

Not everyone wants to be Chief. Every Chief needs good Braves. Great Braves make good Chiefs look great.

That is it in a nutshell.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck OP. Most of us know what it’s like to work for shit bosses—I certainly do. No advice here, just hope that it works out well for you.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Hell, if you are un-fireable then go nuts and raise hell. I wish I was, but I know I'm all too expendable.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“I see some wonder why I'm not the boss after 40 years. Well the deal is I'd have to give up about 30,000 in pay and 2 possibly 3 weeks of vacation.“

Oh. I understand now. I wouldn’t want to be in charge there, either.

Posts: 26905 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
After 13 years I’m not a manager or higher because I’ve seen what they deal with and the hours they work vs the pay. Nope. No fucking way I’m doing that. My job for the most part has been fine and I’m good with my position.

This is me in a nutshell.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post