SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2-cycle runs on half choke
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2-cycle runs on half choke Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Depending on what brand blower, you can often buy a brand new OEM carburetor for like $13. Only idiots rebuild carbs for $10, when a new one cost $13.

How much use does this blower get? If its homeowner use, average size lot, then look at TruFuel or Powerfuel from home-depot. $5 a can, great stuff. The average homeowner would use less than 2 cans a year.
42 lawns weekly, I'm guessing the blower runs about 7 hours per week. I run ethanol free fuel only. I mix with Echo brand oil @ 2.6 fluid ounces per gallon of fuel. Last year I ran seafoam in every refill of the mix gas. I didn't this year because I ran out and just didn't get any until today. I'm going to fix the primer bulb, run a heavy dose of seafoam and see if that clears it up.

Oh, I'll open up the exhaust port, too. I'll probably remove the spark arrest screen.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by btanchors:
Before you pull the carb apart, can you check your exhaust port? I suspect it is clogged, or nearly clogged. When that happens, the symptoms are very similar to a fuel problem.

Cleaning the exhaust port is standard periodic maintenance for these engines, and is easier to do than pulling the carb apart, so might as well check this first...

This is what I found on my Stihl blower. There is a brass screen called a spark arrestor and it was clogged. Pull it out and clean with carb cleaner or replace (they're cheap) and see how it runs. Much easier than a carb rebuild or replacement too.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
7 hours use per week definitely has some carbon buildup in the exhaust if it hasn't been cleaned before.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post