SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2-cycle runs on half choke
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2-cycle runs on half choke Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My blower is starting to act differently. It still requires choke to start but it will not rev up to full unless the choke is on half way. Squeezing the throttle with the choke open causes it to bog and stall.

Any idea what's going on?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Running too lean. Fuel delivery blockage somewhere.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You have goop in the carb, either in the jet in the venturi, the needle valve, or the diaphram. Pull it apart (very gently, there are tiny parts, and delicate membranes in there), and clean the hell out of it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner, and q-tips. You may also have a pin hole in either the primer bulb or fuel lines, or the fuel pick-up in the tank maybe dirty, but it's probably the carb.

As MNSIG notes, it's running too lean, and when you go WOT with the choke open, you get too much air for the amount of fuel that the carb can deliver, you lose combustion, and it bogs out.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what they said. ^^^^

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
You running ethanol gas in it? Sounds like the problems I used to have before I went to all non-ethanol (i.e. pure) gas in my small equipment. Like the others noted, you have some sort of carb blockage. Likely time for either a carb rebuild or installation of a new carb.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, get the goo/gel out of it.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I don't use ethanol in my mowing equipment.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I don't use ethanol in my mowing equipment.
Then my bet is you have some small debris blocking one of the orifices in the carb. Disassemble and clean, making sure to snake out all the orifices, throw in a $8 rebuild kit so you have all new gaskets and screens, and you should be good to go. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Some people think I am goofy but I have good luck boiling carbs to clean them out.
Pull the carb off, place it pot of clean water and let it boil for 20 or 30 mins. If the water is really dirty you might want to do it a second time. Blow it out and replace.
My dad taught me that trick over 50 years ago. I have done it many times over the years.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4132 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
Before I pulled it apart I would pour some Marvell Mystery oil in the tank, shake to mix, and run it at half speed for a couple of minutes. This seems to clear out any number of carb varnish problems on small engines. Or you could pull it apart.....

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've run Seafoam through a small engine to clean out the carb crud . Saved a tear down .

Posts: 4047 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
another problem that can creep up is an air leak somewhere in the crankcase, worn crankshaft seals were a popular leak source on the old 2 cycle Lawn Boy mowers.
I had a Ryobi trimmer that the cylinder jug was held to the crankcase with 4 allen bolts, when they worked loose power was lost and required half choke to run. Snug them back down and it ran like new again.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Depending on what brand blower, you can often buy a brand new OEM carburetor for like $13. Only idiots rebuild carbs for $10, when a new one cost $13.

How much use does this blower get? If its homeowner use, average size lot, then look at TruFuel or Powerfuel from home-depot. $5 a can, great stuff. The average homeowner would use less than 2 cans a year.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Some people think I am goofy but I have good luck boiling carbs to clean them out.
Pull the carb off, place it pot of clean water and let it boil for 20 or 30 mins. If the water is really dirty you might want to do it a second time. Blow it out and replace.
My dad taught me that trick over 50 years ago. I have done it many times over the years.

^^^
This works.
I have a friend that works on small engines,He uses a sonic cleaner with a splash of simple green in it .He also uses boiling water to start the cycle.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Fuel line could be rotten with a pinhole in it

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34104 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Seafoam idea.

I had a similar problem with generator.

It'd only run on half choke (fresh gasoline) so I added some Seafoam and slowly it start to run a little better, then it gradually started running properly with the choke pushed all the way in - the way it supposed to run.

Seafoam, it's what's for your carburetor.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you pull the carb apart, can you check your exhaust port? I suspect it is clogged, or nearly clogged. When that happens, the symptoms are very similar to a fuel problem.

Cleaning the exhaust port is standard periodic maintenance for these engines, and is easier to do than pulling the carb apart, so might as well check this first...

Posts: 944 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
My mind immediately went to D_Steve’s response, vacuum leak, but for sure it is running lean. Whether it is not enough fuel or too much air, the mix isn’t right. On larger engines, a can of starting fluid is a great way to find vacuum leaks (spray around till you find the spot where the engine revs up when you spray. Your leak is going to be very close to there.) You may be able to do it on a two stroke also, but if you get close to the intake you’ll have the same effect.

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did it just start doing this and was run recently before or has it been sitting? If it hasn’t been sitting and just started doing this, I would take a really good look at the primer ball and fuel lines as it might be sucking air in the fuel system. Also check the gasket between the carb and motor for an air leak. If none of the above and you’ve had a big temperature change, back the high speed fuel jet out 1/8-1/4 of a turn and see if it runs right.

If it’s been sitting like all winter, it’s most likely a blocked high speed jet in the fuel. Generally it’s cheaper to buy a new carb (a lot sell for $35 +/-) than to buy the rebuild kit and try to rebuild it, and a lot of times the passages are so small on these carbs you can’t get the crap cleaned totally out of them.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Did it just start doing this and was run recently before or has it been sitting? If it hasn’t been sitting and just started doing this, I would take a really good look at the primer ball and fuel lines as it might be sucking air in the fuel system. Also check the gasket between the carb and motor for an air leak. If none of the above and you’ve had a big temperature change, back the high speed fuel jet out 1/8-1/4 of a turn and see if it runs right.

If it’s been sitting like all winter, it’s most likely a blocked high speed jet in the fuel. Generally it’s cheaper to buy a new carb (a lot sell for $35 +/-) than to buy the rebuild kit and try to rebuild it, and a lot of times the passages are so small on these carbs you can’t get the crap cleaned totally out of them.
Hmmm, good call. The primer bulb is cracked.