SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Invisible plane at the Phoenix Goodyear Airport
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Invisible plane at the Phoenix Goodyear Airport Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Heads are going to roll, they're supposed to take the cloaking devices out before the planes are mothballed.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I imagine it has something to do with that bullshit 3D Google does with their maps now.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Zoom in on the "invisible plane....
and you can see the amateur photo shop work..

Don't even have to do that. Look at the shadows of the other airplanes. Some have multiple shadows, shadows are at different angles from the objects casting them. Worst of all is the bottom right hand corner where the shadow of one plane is casted to the right and the shadow on the plane below it is casted off to the left.

If not purposefully done, is it possible Google uses some sort of composite imagery for their maps?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

Don't even have to do that. Look at the shadows of the other airplanes. Some have multiple shadows, shadows are at different angles from the objects casting them. Worst of all is the bottom right hand corner where the shadow of one plane is casted to the right and the shadow on the plane below it is casted off to the left.

If not purposefully done, is it possible Google uses some sort of composite imagery for their maps?

It's part of how they build the maps. You take a trillion pictures, and then stitch them all together, and make a 3D model of it, you're gonna get some wonkeyness every once in a while, it wont be perfect.

Here it is from another angle.

Looks like the red plane is missing a bunch of tail, and engines.

quote:

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:.....

It's part of how they build the maps. You take a trillion pictures, and then stitch them all together, and make a 3D model of it, you're gonna get some wonkeyness every once in a while, it wont be perfect.

Here it is from another angle.

Nice try.

Clearly, you can see the distortion as the shifting from one dimension to the other is occuring. But "we" know "you" work for "them"...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It does look semi-transparent. I looked up the plane sitting next to it:

https://www.sbairlines.com/

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Here's some of the small planes at Boeing Field, they're also half there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B025'29.4%22N+112%C2%B022'42.2%22W/@47.544718,-122.3119553,74a,35y,106.31h/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.424834!4d-112.378399

Looks like that B17 took some flak.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B025'29.4%22N+112%C2%B022'42.2%22W/@47.5197341,-122.2964937,36a,35y,159.56h,78.83t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.424834!4d-112.378399

And another g-g-g-g-ghost jet!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B025'29.4%22N+112%C2%B022'42.2%22W/@47.5172334,-122.2957302,34a,35y,159.56h,78.84t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.424834!4d-112.378399

This is I5, where are the cars at?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2%B025'29.4%22N+112%C2%B022'42.2%22W/@47.5248957,-122.2918344,35a,35y,160.87h,79.28t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d33.424834!4d-112.378399

(Y'all are gonna have to copy and paste all that)

quote:

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
I don't know about the missing piece of tail, but it's not unusual to see airplanes like this without engines.

The Orlando-Sanford airport, where I used to base the V-Tail, has a bunch of no-longer-in-service airline planes parked, with missing engines.

Also, I noticed one day as I climbed out after takeoff, at the east end of the same airport there is sort of a clearing in the woods. Never noticed it from the ground, but you can see it from the air. There is a Boeing 727 in the middle of this clearing. I asked the tower guy about it as I flew over it. It's there for the fire department guys to do their rescue drill and practice.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet that the B727 at Sanford was donated by FedEx. I used to do Flight Test work on the 72 and flew several to different places on their last flight to be used as training devices for colleges and fire fighting agencies. Pretty cool.

If you google map the Boise, ID airport and scan to the southeast, off the airport proper, across W Gowen Rd and at the end of Broadway Ave, there is a B727 parked on the apron of an old assault landing strip type runway. I was the FO on that delivery and the Captain did the landing, we were empty, very little fuel, and stopped in about 2000 of runway. It was probably the coolest (and one of the best) landings I'd ever witnessed. No approach, navaids or VASI/PAPI, just the old eyeballs.

It was donated to the city of Boise for firefighting and security training. FedEx donated a bunch of B727s when they retired the fleet over the years.

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

It isn't deliberately manipulated. It is, as you say, composite images and glitches in the rendering software. For example, maybe the computer is trying "average" one photo where the plane is present, and one where it isn't. Or it has moved. Or one plane was there for one photo, and a different one for the next.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Over closer to the hangers there are some other anomalies, looks like two planes stacked on top of each other, with parts looking invisible.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfan Roy:
I'll bet that the B727 at Sanford was donated by FedEx. I used to do Flight Test work on the 72 and flew several to different places on their last flight to be used as training devices for colleges and fire fighting agencies. Pretty cool.

If you google map the Boise, ID airport and scan to the southeast, off the airport proper, across W Gowen Rd and at the end of Broadway Ave, there is a B727 parked on the apron of an old assault landing strip type runway. I was the FO on that delivery and the Captain did the landing, we were empty, very little fuel, and stopped in about 2000 of runway. It was probably the coolest (and one of the best) landings I'd ever witnessed. No approach, navaids or VASI/PAPI, just the old eyeballs.

It was donated to the city of Boise for firefighting and security training. FedEx donated a bunch of B727s when they retired the fleet over the years.

We've got 2 FedEx 727s here for our folks to use for training. Which is cool for as I spent 20 years working for FedEx. Still painted up and have the names under the cockpit windows. No wings though.

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. I just looked again and noticed the shadow off the tail is falling in a different direction from the other planes.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

I think you found the aircraft used during testing of the 3rd generation stealth technology developed by DARPA for the US Air Force.

Here is the current production version:

Oh, and don't worry this photo is not classified now that the US is onto the 8th generation of stealth aircraft!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at the photo, but didn't see your invisible aircraft...

:P

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2067 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post