SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I think right now the best thing second amendment supporters in the Old Dominion can do is use this horrific loss to get motivated and organized at the local level. This is a good start.

Increasing number of Virginia counties declare themselves 'Second Amendment sanctuaries'

GILES COUNTY, Va. (WHSV) — More counties in Virginia have taken the step of declaring themselves 'Second Amendment sanctuaries' as Virginia Democrats, with a newly obtained legislative majority, propose new gun control legislation.

On Thursday night, the Giles County Board of Supervisors voted unanimously to become a 'Second Amendment sanctuary,' with over 100 people in attendance at their meeting.

Nearly simultaneously, Dinwiddie County, in a completely different part of Virginia, did the same thing on a unanimous vote as well, with one board member abstaining.

“We have rights to bear arms. Point blank. And our county, we have a lot of hunters, lots of sportsmen that like to sport shoot,” Dinwiddie Supervisor William Chavis said.

The movement of counties declaring themselves 'Second Amendment sanctuaries' – taking their own spin on 'sanctuary cities,' which vowed not to work with ICE to deport undocumented immigrants – began shortly after the election earlier this month in which Democrats won full control of the General Assembly for the first time in decades.

Following that election, many in counties that voted conservative believe that their constitutional rights are threatened.

Very few bills have been filed yet for Virginia's 2020 session, with the pre-filing session having just begun, but one gun control bill has already been proposed by a Democrat: establishing universal background checks.

To counter possible gun control laws, the concept of becoming a 'Second Amendment sanctuary' means that a county expresses its intent that its public funds not be used to restrict Second Amendment rights.

The resolutions aren't legally binding, but put forth a public stance on behalf of counties.

“I’m really glad that somebody in Virginia is stepping up,” said resident Gene Brown at the Dinwiddie County board meeting.

Chairman Davis, with Dinwiddie County, said the resolution doesn't mean they'll ignore state law though.

“We’re not saying ‘No, we’re not going to stand by the law’ or ‘This county isn’t going to stand by the law.' Wrong. Absolutely wrong. We stand firm on the second amendment, we believe we have the right to bear arms.”

So far, counties that have adopted the measure include Pittsylvania County, Campbell County, Appomattox County, Charlotte County, Carroll County, Giles County, and Dinwiddie County.

Democrat leaders say the concept is unnecessary.

"If you look at what we're doing, I don't think it infringes on anybody's Second Amendment rights," said State Senator John Edwards (D-Roanoke).

Edwards said if people want to challenge legislation passed by the General Assembly, the remedy is to go to court.

"I think people are being paranoid and it's totally unnecessary," Edwards told WDBJ7.

Delegate Chris Head (R-Botetourt) has a different view.

"I think this may be a case in which it is justifiable to be concerned, and so that's not paranoia, that's concern," Head said Wednesday afternoon. "The United States Constitution is incredibly clear and unambiguous when it says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Period. And I think what you're seeing is localities simply wanting to make sure the rest of my colleagues in Richmond understand."

So far, no counties in the Shenandoah Valley have officially declared themselves 'Second Amendment sanctuaries' yet, but a number plan to consider it soon.

Augusta County officials told WHSV they are doing research and will likely discuss the idea at an upcoming meeting.

"I'm 100 percent for it," said Jim Wood, store manager of Nuckols Gun Works and firearms instructor for Augusta County. "Our Second Amendment was written to protect us against exactly what is happening right now."

Also completely supporting the move is Sheriff Donald Smith, who posted on Facebook on Nov. 22, saying "I feel that the Board of Supervisors should APPROVE a resolution in favor of affirming the 2nd Amendment which protects the right of the people to keep and bear arms."

The Augusta County Board of Supervisors meeting on Tuesday, November 26, is expected to be packed with proponents and opponents of the measure.

In Rockingham County, county administrators confirmed to WHSV that the topic of becoming a 'Second Amendment sanctuary' is on the agenda for their meeting coming up on Dec. 11 at 6 p.m.

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Not just VA, but this should be a Wake-up Call for gun owners Nation wide.

It can happen anywhere, and saying that it can't is just fooling ourselves.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Future city hall discussion dates

Virginia Beach Dec 3rd
Chesapeake Dec 10th

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Even Texas is getting into the act.

https://communityimpact.com/ho...h-resolution-nov-19/
I think it should be extended to the whole state, but with the Liberals in Austin it's not likely to happen easily.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
What makes me angry is if all the people who are now all fired up over this entirely symbolic gesture would have voted we would not be in this fucking mess. Virginia has the most registered privately owned machine guns in the country. We have something like half a million resident concealed handgun permit holders. If everyone had done their job at the ballot box we wouldn’t be where we are. This is like showing up three days after a football game and trying to say you don’t accept the score.

It’s great to see all these counties doing this. It will not matter one bit to our governor who gleefully welcomed Bloomberg to Norfolk to launch his presidential campaign while they both gloated over “turning Virginia blue”. They will pass Senate Bill 16, or something very similar to it, and it will be the law of the commonwealth come next July.

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to diminish this. I’m just so fucking angry at what I am now faced with because of these fucking people. I am seriously considering turning my whole life upside down to escape this fuckery. And it pisses me off.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I note with little surprise that the white counties are those with a heavy concentration of communists.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
“Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I might be attending the Chesapeake meeting. The timing looks pretty good actually.

Anyone else planning on attending one?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
.... They will pass Senate Bill 16, or something very similar to it, and it will be the law of the commonwealth come next July.....

Kevbo I understand your anguish. Fortunately for us the Constitution trumps (pun intended) any state law and I for one will not be swayed by anything that comes out of Richmond.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
What makes me angry is if all the people who are now all fired up over this entirely symbolic gesture would have voted we would not be in this fucking mess. Virginia has the most registered privately owned machine guns in the country. We have something like half a million resident concealed handgun permit holders. If everyone had done their job at the ballot box we wouldn’t be where we are. This is like showing up three days after a football game and trying to say you don’t accept the score.

It’s great to see all these counties doing this. It will not matter one bit to our governor who gleefully welcomed Bloomberg to Norfolk to launch his presidential campaign while they both gloated over “turning Virginia blue”. They will pass Senate Bill 16, or something very similar to it, and it will be the law of the commonwealth come next July.

I’m sorry. I’m not trying to diminish this. I’m just so fucking angry at what I am now faced with because of these fucking people. I am seriously considering turning my whole life upside down to escape this fuckery. And it pisses me off.

I feel exactly the same way...

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I recommend this be moved to the Gun Control subforum so we can all find it easily.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depending on the time of the Virginia Beach hearing, I will try to be there with friends to show support. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I might be attending the Chesapeake meeting. The timing looks pretty good actually.

Anyone else planning on attending one?

Looking for info on my county... something tells me the libs in the town next door will pooh-pooh it, but I'll be there to support it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Next on the list, let's ban training and assembling as a group.

SENATE BILL NO. 64
Offered January 8, 2020
Prefiled November 21, 2019
A BILL to amend and reenact § 18.2-433.2 of the Code of Virginia, relating to paramilitary activities; penalty.
----------
Patron-- Lucas
----------
Referred to Committee for Courts of Justice
----------
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:

1. That § 18.2-433.2 of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:

§ 18.2-433.2. Paramilitary activity prohibited; penalty.

A person shall be, amended to is guilty of unlawful paramilitary activity, punishable as a Class 5 felony if he:

1. Teaches or demonstrates to any other person the use, application, or making of any firearm, explosive, or incendiary device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, knowing or having reason to know or intending that such training will be employed for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder; or

2. Assembles with one or more persons for the purpose of training with, practicing with, or being instructed in the use of any firearm, explosive, or incendiary device, or technique capable of causing injury or death to persons, intending to employ such training for use in, or in furtherance of, a civil disorder; or

3. Assembles with one or more persons with the intent of intimidating any person or group of persons by drilling, parading, or marching with any firearm, any explosive or incendiary device, or any components or combination thereof.

2. That the provisions of this act may result in a net increase in periods of imprisonment or commitment. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of imprisonment in state adult correctional facilities; therefore, Chapter 854 of the Acts of Assembly of 2019 requires the Virginia Criminal Sentencing Commission to assign a minimum fiscal impact of $50,000. Pursuant to § 30-19.1:4 of the Code of Virginia, the estimated amount of the necessary appropriation cannot be determined for periods of commitment to the custody of the Department of Juvenile Justice.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
What makes me angry is if all the people who are now all fired up over this entirely symbolic gesture would have voted we would not be in this fucking mess. ........

I am seriously considering turning my whole life upside down to escape this fuckery. And it pisses me off.

Well there's your answer. People still are voting, that's not what's changed, it's the demographics. I've posted at least twice this article.. People like you are leaving and being replaced by people from foreign lands or leftists areas.

I'd blame the weak Republican party in VA more than low voter turnout. 25/140 of the seats in both houses went uncontested to D's.

I know my vote is an effort in vain, but I still show up, every. single. time.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is the sort of push back we all need to see. Libs ignore laws they don't agree with, so what's good for the goose....

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I know my vote is an effort in vain, but I still show up, every. single. time.

That's what makes it not entirely in vain. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From VCDL:

Virginia now has TWENTY Second Amendment Sanctuaries in 3 weeks! If you want to see the entire list, it is on the main page of the VCDL website: http://vcdl.org

1. Wythe, Madison, Washington, Henry, and Botetourt counties are Virginia's newest Second Amendment Sanctuaries! HUGE turnouts at all of them!
Virginia now has TWENTY Second Amendment Sanctuaries in 3 weeks! If you want to see the entire list, it is on the main page of the VCDL website: http://vcdl.org

Appomattox
Botetourt
Campbell
Carroll
Charlotte
Dickenson
Dinwiddie
Giles
Henry
King William
Lee
Madison
Nottoway
Patrick
Pittsylvania
Powhatan
Southampton
Sussex
Washington
Wythe

Posts: 12575 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
Have any members in Fairfax county had any communication with their board member? I’ve reached out to mine in the Sully district, Kathy L. Smith(D), by phone and email with no response. Don’t worry, I have no illusion that the Fairfax BoS would pass this or even entertain it for that matter. But I’d like to get them on record voting it down just to add to their official hypocrisy. These fine individuals have directed/allowed our PD to not comply with ICE warrants for illegals and support the suspension of an officer that recently did comply with one. This policy has been quietly in place since 2007 apparently. They have no problem supporting illegals engaged in criminal activity while failing to uphold their oath to the citizens of this county.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post