SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
He moves the video's over to youtube about 2 days behind.

https://www.youtube.com/channe...FP0S1cn2ST6wQ/videos

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Sorry link is a FB one. PWC BoS member.

Lefty tries out range.

I have to applaud the guy just for expanding his horizon and stepping out of his comfort zone.

I saw his post also. I left a positive comment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Last night, I found the email addresses of all the Judiciary Committee members and sent them an email taking a different tack: the potential financial impact on the state of passing this bill.

Yours is a very good point, fpuhan, and similar to what I've been preaching around here for a number of weeks. The potential economic impact is substantial. How many gun-owning, law-abiding Virginians work in the defense/military/aerospace industry? How many of those would be unemployable in their current positions if a new law suddenly made them felons? How many of those companies would suffer as well? (It baffles me that Virginia companies aren't raising Cain with Richmond over this, fearful of losing LOTS of good employees to other companies, in other states.)

Think then of the losses in sales tax, employment taxes, real estate taxes, etc. when those families either lose those incomes or decide to pack it up and move out of Virginia.

My series of emails tonight (thank you for the list) will address the topic on that basis.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow is the big day. I wrote my Senator, Boysko as well as the other four that are supposedly sway-able. Hopefully we can pull off a couple of defectors and stop some of these bills. While they are all atrocious, HB961 is the worst and has the most immediate impact.

quote:
Hi Jennifer,

I am sure you will not remember me from the town hall meeting in Leesburg, but I was wearing a black jacket and waited til it was over to speak to you, since we had such a short amount of time for the event. I was I think the only one there that didn't want to talk about Red Flag laws (although I oppose them as currently structured, and likely in most cases), that may jog your memory. My concern was banning firearm features and arbitrary magazine restrictions.

As I mentioned to you then. I own several guns, not a single one of them except .22's and my wife's and my carry guns came from the factory with less 12 round magazines. The most common round count for standard normal run of the mill semi-automatic pistols is either 15 or 17 rounds, with 15 being the most common. Every single pistol I own with the noted exceptions came with a 15 round magazine. I have about 50 of them that are 15 round or 30 round magazines, at an average of $30 a piece (some are more some are less) in order for me to replace them all with 10 round magazines (since 12 round magazines aren't an actual thing) I would need to spend $1,500 to replace something I have already lawfully purchased. This is a de facto confiscation of my property which will not make anyone safer, legal gun owners, regardless of their magazine size are some of the most lawful people living in the Commonwealth. We value our freedom to own guns and would not risk breaking the law and losing our right to protect ourselves or our loved ones.

As for the features of a firearm making it a 'Assault Firearm'. The listed features do not in any way make a firearm more deadly or make it's owner more likely to commit a crime. Flash suppressors, muzzle brakes, compensators, do not in any way make a gun more lethal, nor do these items make the owner of the firearm more likely to become a criminal. The same applies for a telescoping stock, it is there for the comfort of the shooter and so that my wife and I can own and use the same rifle, removing the adjustibility of my rifle will mean that I have to go out and spend my hard earned money to buy a new stock for my rifle, and spend more money buying a second rifle that my wife can comfortably shoot. In effect adding more guns to the state. None of these bans on features will have any effect on criminals, the only ones they will affect are normal everyday Joe Blow citizens like me who can't afford the shopping trip that the proposed legislation would make necessary for me to do. I rather use my hard earned money for fun things instead of buying new magazines, stocks, and firearms. The common theme among the proposed restrictions is that they are all the most common features on the AR-15 platform, which is the most common rifle sold in America today (google that if you want). You will be outlawing common use firearms, we are not talking some kind of Rambo movie actual assault weapon, we are talking about guns most gun owners own and a large percentage of Virginians own.

I beg you to please consider the undue burden you would be putting on hundreds of thousands (likely millions) of Virginians if you vote yes on 961, do you want to be responsible for that? I can assure you that none of the proposed restrictions in HB961 will actually do anything to save anyone's lives, that is the worst part of it, you are asking me to give up my property and spends thousands of dollars more for legislation that will not have any effect. I also suggest that if we want to do something about lives lost to gun violence, that we work towards dis-incentivizing criminal acts using guns. If a criminal knows they aren't just going to get a slap on the wrist for using a gun during the commission of a crime or for being caught with an illegally owned firearm then they may think twice about if they want to risk it.

Please vote no on HB961 tomorrow.

I am including a YouTube video I suggest you watching, I know I have already asked you to read a long email, now a video. The video shows rates of fire using various sizes of magazines and makes it clear that lowering the round count has minimal effect or rates of fire, or allowing a person to fight back and attack an armed assailant.

Thank you,

Skins

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?...R0o&feature=youtu.be

Fingers crossed guys, hopefully our efforts have been worth something, if not the battle continues on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
He moves the video's over to youtube about 2 days behind.

https://www.youtube.com/channe...FP0S1cn2ST6wQ/videos

Thanks for finding that.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Fingers crossed guys, hopefully our efforts have been worth something, if not the battle continues on.

Fifteen more emails sent. I'm hoping they do some good and don't simply get the standard out-of-office reply followed by silence.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Multiple emails to all the senate sent over each of the last few days. This is from PVC yesterday.

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Bump.. please keep up the calls and emails..

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
HB961 tabled for the year. Will update later. A win for today

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
HB961 tabled for the year. Will update later. A win for today

This was unexpected and I believe it is a responsible move. They are looking into the "what is an assault weapon" aspect. Yes we have a chance to fix this, I think our voices were heard.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
On Fox news right now:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/li...t-assault-weapon-ban

God bless America.

wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
It's a great start, but we can't let up on the pressure. Stil have red flag, gun rationing and local preemption to fight. I never thought I would say this, but thanks to the 4 moderate senators who voted against the bill. But I still don't trust them.
o5

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by orion5:
But I still don't trust them.
Never trust any politician.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^^

For anyone who said Lobby Day and flooding BoS meetings and getting sanctuary county resolutions was pointless. There it is we stopped them for now. They still are going to get the Red Flag and UBC through, but this is a major victory, congratulations to all that fought, please continue to fight on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Contrary to what I assumed to be a lost cause, my D Senator (Surovell) crossed over! I'll need help getting up off of the floor now. Smile

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
"Next year, the battle will continue, but if we fight like we did this year, vote in every election, and support pro-gun candidates , we will continue to be a force to be reckoned with.

We dare not get complacent again."

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
10 democrats helped stop the ban. Wow.... I’m sure that they were just worried about their re-election chances but I’ll take this win regardless. Now we have to keep people engaged and angry until 2021 so we can take back at least the VA house.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Huzzah! Congratulations ladies and gentlemen. This is a small win, but we should celebrate it none the less. Thanks to everyone who stepped up and made their voices heard.

We've got a lot of work left to do and we cannot let up. Proud to be associated with you fine folks.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Boysko must go! I was out on a run listening to the radio when I heard HB961 had been shelved. It's not dead, as it's being referred for "further study," but it's dead for this year. Good work, everybody. Celebrate today, but back to work tomorrow!

Jennifer Boysko is not my senator, but hers is the district that abuts mine (my senator is John Bell). Hers was the only auto-response I received to the multiple emails I sent, and it was snarky and pointless (essentially: If you're not in my district, I'm not interested in hearing your opinion). She was one of those who steadfastly insisted she was going to vote for passage. After lying that she wouldn't vote for a gun ban.

This, from the Virginia Constitutional Conservatives: "Senator Jennifer Boysko (D-33) not only voted for the Gun Ban, but she also lied to her constituents. Just a few weeks ago, at a Town Hall in Leesburg, she pledged not to vote for an 'assault weapon ban'. You need to call her at 804-698-7533 and tell her what you think of her backstabbing betrayal."

She has to go.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post