SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Why is this a symbolic gesture only? If the locally elected sheriffs refuse to allow anybody arrested under these laws in his jail, then enforcement would be impossible. The sheriff is an elected position, and the Virginia Constitution requires the jails be run by the Sheriff’s department. This is a check on state power, and should be explored as a means of resistance. What are the local Sheriffs saying about all this?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I posted my comment in the Culpeper call to action thread, but they are equally pertinent to all of Virginia...and really, most other states.

Used to live in your neck of the woods and have some fond memories of my first gun shows, LGS visits, and some great days shooting in Virginia all those years ago. I lived in Virginia when the '94 so-called assault weapons ban went into effect and all the ensuing panic buying and grumbling at gun shows.

Keeping in mind that gun owners in Virginia are just the latest in a long line of states that have already gone through (and continue to see) these types of Second Amendment violations, I really hate to see the types of gun control laws heading your way.

Unfortunately too many gun owners in states that have, until now, been fortunate enough to avoid such laws have been slow to react or organize, instead looking at those of us already living in states that have such egregious laws as fools or deserving of such infringements...and acting as though such laws could never actually be passed in their own state.

It is past time that gun owners pick up their heads and look around and realize that the tsunami of gun control fanaticism that hit other states will eventually hit their own state...and organize and act accordingly.

Any gun owner who doesn't join both national and state level Pro-2A organizations, attend local meetings and rallies, contact their elected reps on the various issues, and vote is either lazy, a fool, or both.

It is long past time that gun owners unite and organize, and oppose not only federal legislation but state level gun control...and we should be united in opposing gun control measures outside our own respective states...an infringement is an infringement no matter where you live.

Although I live in a state that has passed a series of gun control measures in recent years (with more likely coming due to the Progressive Left control of the legislature and Goveror's seat) the majority of our counties have voted to become 2A sanctuary counties, openly defying the state laws. Several of our county sheriffs, especially the rural ones, have sided in favor of defending the 2A, and actively doing so in a number of ways from filing law suits, testifying in court proceedings opposing such laws, encouraging county commissioners to oppose state level gun control laws and advocating that the county become a 2A sanctuary county. I attended one fund-raising rally in which our sheriff and county commissioners actually handed out door prize standard capacity AR mags (donated by Magpul) to drawing winners just weeks before our magazine capacity restriction went into effect.

It is imperative that you let your Virginia sheriffs and town and county leaders know where you stand and ask them to attend, participate, and speak at your fund raisers and rallies.

I would also encourage you to talk to gun owners in other states who have already experienced these types of gun control laws and inform yourselves as to actual legislative wording, what tactics have failed and what has worked.

Don't let these laws pass without giving 'em one hell of a fight.

I know some angry concerned gun owners in your area and will be passing on a link to this thread, and encouraging them to attend these meetings.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
It’s symbolic because of this:

If a Leo refuses a lawful order from a judge they themselves can go to jail

almost all of these counties rely on state funding to aid in their law enforcement, and a whole host of other things. Funds that can be withheld

If the Virginia state police shows up to arrest someone, are the local LEOs going to stop them?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad it’s happening. Virginia will soon realize the same thing New York found out with the safe act. That required registration. I think I read somewhere the compliance rate is 4%

In the more rural areas the likelihood of being prosecuted in these sanctuary counties was likely small already

It does send a message to Richmond. But their counter message is they ran on this anti gun position and the people at the ballot box had spoken

I almost guarantee that a significant percentage of these gun owners that are now “awake” didn’t vote

What I want to know is why are they awake now? They’re a day late and a dollar short

Why wasn’t HB4021 from the special session last July all over the TV and other medium BEFORE the election?

It’s because the NRA did nothing here, and the VA GOP sucks balls

A bunch of people in my county (Prince William) showed up to the county meeting to demand they adopt the 2A sanctuary.

It will probably work. For another month Corey Stewart is the chair of the republican BOS

But come January the newly elected and in control Democrats, to whom the PWCPD reports, will absolutely pair with the liberal poster child just elected to the commonwealth’s attorney position and absolutely do the bidding of their masters in Richmond.

quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Why is this a symbolic gesture only? If the locally elected sheriffs refuse to allow anybody arrested under these laws in his jail, then enforcement would be impossible. The sheriff is an elected position, and the Virginia Constitution requires the jails be run by the Sheriff’s department. This is a check on state power, and should be explored as a means of resistance. What are the local Sheriffs saying about all this?

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I don't know what oath Virginia sheriffs are sworn in by, but in Colorado, the sheriffs are sworn to uphold the U.S. Constitution...which is why some of the sheriffs staked out a position defending the Second Amendment, stating that they would not enforce some of the gun control laws passed by the state legislature, because it would violate the oath they were sworn in under.

Granted not all the sheriffs are so committed in their defense of citizen's Constitutional rights, but at least some have acknowledged the possibility that they may end up serving time in their own jails.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
On top of this I think Virginia like S.C. has a law that counties and municipalities can't write their own gun laws.... this is one of those two edged swords that many of us fail to see, just like the claim of 'State's rights'....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
On top of this I think Virginia like S.C. has a law that counties and municipalities can't write their own gun laws.... this is one of those two edged swords that many of us fail to see, just like the claim of 'State's rights'....

None of these counties are enacting new gun laws. They are not placing any undue burden on their citizens by making laws that are more strict than at the state level. A resident of Arlington isn't suddenly going to find himself in legal trouble if he enters one of these sanctuary counties and is following the state's unconstitutional gun laws. I don't see how preemption applies here.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing like throwing the “sanctuary” thing in the liberals faces. Take that libtards. Big Grin

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
All you BOS and State Reps.

https://keepva2a.com/

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
King George County Board of Supervisors will consider a 2A Sanctuary resolution on 3 Dec 2019.

23 counties have approved 2A Sanctuary Resolution

Dozens more are considering

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Apparently, 7 counties in Texas have done this so far: " Hood County is one of seven Texas counties—mostly Republican and rural—to officially establish themselves as gun sanctuaries in the past year and a half. . . ." Dallas Co. is not one of them.

Hood Co., is joined by Parker, St. Clair, Presidio, Ellis, Smith, and Hudspeth Cos.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Why is this a symbolic gesture only? If the locally elected sheriffs refuse to allow anybody arrested under these laws in his jail, then enforcement would be impossible.

We had this in NY after the Safe Act, counties passing meaningless resolutions opposing it... basically local politician hoping to cover their ass against any misdirected backlash come election day.

There was lots of talk of non enforcement and jury nullification. But when it comes down to it, feeding your family, paying your bills, keeping your medical benefits.. outweighs any personal objects the exempted LEOs may have.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Apparently, 7 counties in Texas have done this so far: " Hood County is one of seven Texas counties—mostly Republican and rural—to officially establish themselves as gun sanctuaries in the past year and a half. . . ." Dallas Co. is not one of them.

Hood Co., is joined by Parker, St. Clair, Presidio, Ellis, Smith, and Hudspeth Cos.

flashguy

County Commissioners in Collin, Stephens, Upshur, and Wood Counties in Texas have also passed 2A sanctuary resolutions.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 1017 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Virginians, keep fighting!

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...igun-agenda-n2557219

Did Virginia Democrats Awaken a ‘Sleeping Giant’ With Their Anti-Gun Agenda?

Over the summer, they gave away their playbook with that special session pitch that was torpedoed by Republicans. Yet, their agenda includes magazine limits, universal background checks, a ban on so-called assault weapons, and a mandatory date to turn such firearms over to authorities. Gun confiscation is on the docket. With that in mind, scores of Virginia counties are now declaring themselves Second Amendment sanctuaries at an unprecedented rate. Stephen Gutowski of the Washington Free Beacon interview Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, a state-based pro-gun rights advocacy organization, who said a “sleeping giant” has been awakened with the latest election results:

"I've never seen anything like this, and I've been doing this for over 20 years," he told the Free Beacon. "It's a sleeping giant that had been pretty much not paying attention to politics, and now they're awake, and now they're flooding these sanctuary county hearings. Flooding them."

Sparked by Democrats' capture of the Virginia legislature three weeks ago, the sanctuary movement has already passed resolutions similar to VCDL's model in nearly a quarter of the state's counties. The movement could give newly elected Democrats from more moderate jurisdictions pause when considering new gun control bills—especially the confiscation plan supported by Governor Ralph Northam (D.). The sanctuary proposals could also set up a showdown between state and local officials if the former adopt new gun bans or a confiscation scheme.

[…]

"It's sending a huge message to the General Assembly that a lot of the state does not want more gun control, certainly none of the crap that they're pushing that does nothing but affect law abiding citizens," he said. "It doesn't do anything for criminals."

"They're gonna go ‘whoa, hey, if I vote for that bill you won't have a Democrat delegate in this county for the next decade,'" Van Cleave said. "All we have to do is turn a few Democrats and these bills aren't going to go anywhere."

[…]

Van Cleave said he expects a majority of the state's counties to adopt a sanctuary policy in the coming months, and his group plans to target Virginia's sheriffs and commonwealth attorneys as well.

"It's part of a multiple prong approach," he said. "A lot of sheriffs, and even chiefs of police, are going to be watching what localities do. Some of the sheriffs have said, ‘if my locality does this then I'm going to go along with it.' Then, if we get commonwealth attorneys to say ‘I'm not prosecuting this stuff,' well, that closes the loop at least in the county."

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Dems have a minimal majority in both houses - 1 in the senate and 5 in the house. Some democrats in Virginia are still pretty conservative. The chances of Virginia becoming another New Jersey is slim. I suspect a universal background check law will be enacted, and a return to one gun per month. But I don't think any meaningful assault weapons ban will happen. I could be wrong. But the democrats will have to win that by having 100% of their members vote for it, which would be a monumental feat. Democrats in rural areas like Henrico and Charles City, and in south-central Virginia may not go with it. And knowing that they won the state with only 50% voter participation, and fewer votes for democrats than republicans, I suspect these democrats understand that their rhetoric that "gun control was on the ballot" is pretty meaningless. Gun control was never on the ballot. The only candidates that talked about gun control were the candidates in northern Virginia where a rancid dog shit with a (D) beside it would win. In other areas where democrats won, they avoided the gun control talk like the plague.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I think that’s hopelessly naive, but I hope you’re right

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^
I hate to be Mr. Gloom and Doom, but we're fucked.

1 - Demographic changes. Yankees pouring into northern Virginia while the rural (conservative) areas loose population - no jobs (excluding making and selling methamphetamine).

2 - Redistricting. This will strongly favor the democrats.

3 - The Virginia GOP. Nobody would follow these fumbling assholes through a chow line.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "sanctuary county" thing sounds good in theory, but will fail. What's happening in Virginia should concern gun owners in every state. This is not a " this will never happen in my state" moment. The proposed laws set precedent, legally that's a dangerous thing. This is modern gun confiscation, they aren't knocking on your door, but if you're caught with it, you're immediately a felon. This needs to be fought nationally. What happened with bump stocks started this, no grandfathering, overnight felony. That happened almost a year ago and is still not in the Supreme Court.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nojoy
posted Hide Post
^^This. More blue states to follow VA lead if they are successful. WA is already talking about passing high capacity magazine bans in January to take affect in July. More restrictions and limitations to follow.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Marysville, WA 98271 | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
King George VA voted 5-0 tonight to become a 2A Sanctuary County

My estimates are 100 people inside the bldg. (standing room only) and 300+ outside. All those were for the resolution (except for 2). 20 people spoke to the Board of Supervisors in favor of the resolution; 2 people spoke against it.

I think the DEMs will regret their proposed aggressive gun laws

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
as of tonight, we're up to about 38 counties.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post