SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
After reading Para's posting, I want to post this link.
It's from Brigham Young University tv series, I just found it. About us Virginians, and how we have always been stubborn...and rebelled.
American Ride. Sons of the South
https://www.byutv.org/player/7...de-sons-of-the-south

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
I'm really heartened by this movement. I hope those of us in other states that are under attack can muster similar strength and follow this example.

Keep in mind, while I'm excited for and proud of Virginia gun owners, they are not the first state to start this Second Amendment Sanctuary/ Constitutional Sanctuary county/ city movement.

Colorado and New Mexico (and maybe Washington??) started this movement earlier this year when the Democrat controlled state legislatures started their most recent round of gun control measures.

I'm not sure if this is the current count, but as of April this year in Colorado (thanks to member Storm!):

I'm hoping that this movement will continue to grow, continue to sweep through Virginia and into other states. I'd like to see it sweep into states that aren't yet experiencing the same level of proposed gun control measures. Let's get some proactive Second Amendment Sanctuaries established in states not yet seeing these gun control measures...and lets see some push back from gun owners in states that are already suffering under these oppressive restrictions.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Has CO passed laws restricting 2A rights (or any other Bill of Rights) laws? If so what are they (as restrictive as VA proposed, or MD, NY, NJ, CA)?

These resolutions seem pretty meaningless legally, but are strong motivation for gun owners to show their strength/unity and that we are significant and won't be bullied.

**I added "or any other Bill of Rights", because when writing local/state officials I have now started including a sentence similar to this:

I would like to know that you are willing to speak up for our Second Amendment rights as well as all of our Bill of Rights protections.

I would suggest when writing or talking with any person of influence (politically) that you say something similar. Referece 2A, but then say as well as BoR or any other commonly accepted human right. This way people will understand that maybe the right to protect oneself is kind of similar to the right of free speech or not have illegal search and seizure. People should realize it's just a normal right like the other nine plus the amendments, no different. Untouchable by any level of government to interfere with in any way.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
^^^^

The gun control laws in Colorado have been implemented over a period of years, generally after mass killing events.

After the Columbine school shooting the definition of Gun Shows, to eliminate the supposed dreaded "loophole" was redefined. It was somewheres around this time that Colorado changed from a "May" issue to a "Shall" issue state.

After the Aurora theater and Sandy Hook school shootings, in 2013 CO passed a series of gun control measures, including a magazine capacity restriction (currently owned/ possessed) standard capacity mags were "grandfathered" in, in addition to so-called Universal Background Checks". Last year the Democrats waiting until the very end of the legislative session to try and sneak through a Red Flag bill, but it was defeated. Then, after capturing control of the legislature and Governor's seat, the Democrats had a veritable orgasmic field day in the earlier 2019 legislative session. In addition to a much worse version of a Red Flag bill greatly lacking in due process protections for the respondent, they also rammed through a slew of Leftist dream bills at a machine-gun like pace and in some cases used dirty tricks to maintain their frantic pace of slamming bills into law. The minority Republicans were left with very few options to resist the bills but when they requested, per parliamentary rules, that each bill be read in its entirety to the session the Democrats first hired a speed reader, and when the speed reader still didn't read fast enough for them they brought in an electronic machine to speed read bills somewhere around 600-800 words per minute... obviously unintelligible. A couple of them reportedly laughed over that stunt. During one serious Winter storm in which schools closed, employers were sending employees home, and state government workers were sent home early, the Democrat controlled legislature stayed in session just to continue ramming bills through. On the very last day of the legislative session, which is normally reserved for administrative and wrap-up details, the Democrats were still working on bills...and there was serious speculation as to whether the Governor would call for a Special Legislative session so that they would continue to ram bills through.

I could go on and on about the number of controversial and rights infringing job killing bills rammed through this past legislative session, the Red Flag bill being only one of them...but one that angered a HUGE number of Colorado voters was the National Popular Vote bill (NPV). The NPV passed into law makes Colorado part of the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, including California...essentially, if enough states join the Compact, it will give all of Colorado's Electoral College votes away to the majority in another state.

The NPV vote angered so many Colorado voters (across the political spectrum) that a state-wide petition was started and it gathered a HUGE number of signatures, many more than was needed, to place the issue on the 2020 election ballot for a state wide referendum vote by voters.

I should point out that a few Colorado cities have implemented, or are considering, their own gun control bills, some of them much more restrictive than state law currently sets forth, as in redefining so-called "Assault Weapons" to include firearms many of us would not think of as those.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I would suggest when writing or talking with any person of influence (politically) that you say something similar. Referece 2A, but then say as well as BoR or any other commonly accepted human right. This way people will understand that maybe the right to protect oneself is kind of similar to the right of free speech or not have illegal search and seizure. People should realize it's just a normal right like the other nine plus the amendments, no different. Untouchable by any level of government to interfere with in any way.

I usually do something similar, and while I use the wording Second Amendment in my contact with elected representatives, I draw a connection to it noting that it is one of the Constitutionally protected rights. Depending on which rep. I'm writing to talking to, I don't think it matters as much to them...but I want them to know that I know it is a Constitutionally protected right.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Last night the city of Chesapeake, a major city in southeast Virginia, just passed a unanimous resolution to become a 2nd Amendment sanctuary city.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Heads up- Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, will be on WMAL today at 8:35am. This is a DC regional radio station

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
VCDL

There are now a total of 77 sanctuaries across Virginia. Tomorrow night is going to have another large number of localities considering resolutions!

Huge night for gun owners, 18 new sanctuaries, including in Prince William County, City of Chesapeake, and Spotsylvania County!

Here are the new sanctuaries on Tuesday night:

Bath County - Unanimous
Big Stone Gap
Bluefield
Caroline County - 600+ in attendance
Chesapeake - unanimous! Massive turnout well over 1,300 people
Cumberland County
Floyd County - 5 to 0 - packed house!
Greene County
Henrico County - 3 to 2
James City County - Unanimous
Martinsville
Nelson County - 4 to 1 - overflow crowd
Prince George County
Prince William County - 6 to 2, massive crowd - past 1,000
Smyth County - Unanimous - 1,100 or so in attendance
Spotsylvania County - unanimous - massive, massive crowd - way past 1,000
Strasburg
Warren County - unanimous - well over 1,000 in attendance

These localities didn't pass a resolution for various reasons:

Fredericksburg rejected the resolution. Very low turnout. I think everyone was at the Spotsylvania meeting.

Lynchburg failed to pass their resolution by one vote: 3 to 4. May reconsider in January.

Newport News did not take any action but heard from a room full of people. If this is to pass, we need to massively overflow their meeting room next time.

Waynesboro to vote on their resolution in January after hearing from a standing-room-only crowd on Tuesday.

Winchester had 75 to 100 with GSL stickers in the chambers and more in the hallway. 10 speakers, all pro-gun. City Council went into closed session afterwards, but no resolution and no vote tonight. We'll have to see what they do next.

"I have photos of these events on the VCDL.org main page. The majority of these meetings were either close to 1,000 or well over 1,000 attending! I would say that Prince William County, Spotsylvania County, and the City of Chesapeake were breathtaking"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

from 5 Sep 2019

https://virginia.gop/follow-th...on-gun-confiscation/

Bloomberg’s payout to Democrat PACs is the logical next step in the gun confiscation-Virginia Democrat pay-for-play…

FIRST gun confiscation groups funnel millions of dollars into Democrat campaigns.

THEN Democrats introduce the most radical collection of gun control bills ever seen in Virginia during a special session, even trying to block aid to Virginia Beach to focus solely on gun control.

NOW Everytown sends down another $438,000 to reward Democrats for toeing the national Democrat confiscation line.

Posts: 19561 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Prince William County lies just to the south of me, where the Loudoun County BoS side-stepped the question. The reports are an amazing turnout last night in PWC, although the jackbooted thugs about to assume office in January have already said they are going to put these non-binding resolutions aside.

Incoming Chair Ann Wheeler sounds exactly like the SS she must admire. A hardcore Obama acolyte, she posted the infamous "Elections have consequences" comment, as well as the following statement, which includes in boldface (hers, not mine), "I want to be clear - any efforts by the outgoing Board to hamper the enforcement of new gun safety legislation passed in Virginia will be immediately repealed when the new Board takes office in January."

Sounds like a declaration of war to me.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got me an idea, tell me if you guys think it makes sense. What if we at set our VA withholding to zero on 1/1/20, put it in a savings account, and pay the taxes on 4/15/21. Zero tax penalty for that. Call/email/write our BoS, and state Reps and tell them if they want our money, affirm the Bill of Rights and VA Constitution.

quote:

Article I, § 13 of the Virginia Constitution:

That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed;

Could the state fund everything if they were without a quarter million people paying taxes for a year and four months? How much would lack of funding affect the 'kick the door in and snatch the guns fund'?

Could they vote to issue bonds quickly to offset the year of no gun owner taxes? Not sure how quickly they could react to a sudden shortfall of revenue or if it would actually affect budget/reserves.

What do you all think?

Certainly taxation is one of the asymmetric tools we have at our disposal as free men and women. The first order of business with regard to the "income" tax is to learn what is actually taxed and how the system of taxation works in America - not just Virginia. We have all been lied to consistently for many years.

The most efficient way to understand the "income" tax is to go here: Lost Horizons

This particular newsletter is inspiring because it shows what our liberty loving and courageous brothers and sisters are doing to relight the lamp of liberty in Georgia. The Georgians I know are almost as defiant as Virginians by nature. Buy the book, study the actual laws and act according to the law based on your specific situation. For my part, I have not had a state or federal tax liability for over a decade and I expect that to continue until I drop my body. I have filed my returns accurately and timely and have had substantial earning in all of those years.

Unfortunately, the understanding of liberty has been greatly diminished over the years. The reasons are many but a key component has been the errant behavior of the all branches of government at all levels and the failure of the people to correct them timely. Now is the time for cold calculation and firm resolve.

All Americans need to understand that we as individuals have the sovereign power and that the tax laws, as well as most other laws, are in perfect conformance with the Organic Laws. Unfortunately, many laws are administered in an incompetent manner by both the people and our servants in government. For the people, it is usually out of ignorance. They have never learned the truth. Many in government have never learned the truth either. Some in government are corrupt. Their actions are illegitimate and need to be corrected. Northam and his fellow travelers are good examples of the latter.

The fact is that we grant certain powers to government for our benefit and to the benefit of society. Our grants of certain powers is not for the benefit of the government or its agents or officers. We cannot and will not allow them to dissolve our inherent rights, or the rights of our posterity by a mere vote. We have a duty to pass liberty on to future generations. We have the law on our side and now need to firmly remind our servants in government of the limitations of their offices. Our task is to think creatively, get the word out and help our brothers and sisters understand their sovereign powers and their inherent rights and teach them how to exercise them responsibly. Liberty is not a license to be an asshat.

Sic Semper Tyrannis

This message has been edited. Last edited by: leavemebe,

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Prince William County lies just to the south of me, where the Loudoun County BoS side-stepped the question. The reports are an amazing turnout last night in PWC, although the jackbooted thugs about to assume office in January have already said they are going to put these non-binding resolutions aside.

Incoming Chair Ann Wheeler sounds exactly like the SS she must admire. A hardcore Obama acolyte, she posted the infamous "Elections have consequences" comment, as well as the following statement, which includes in boldface (hers, not mine), "I want to be clear - any efforts by the outgoing Board to hamper the enforcement of new gun safety legislation passed in Virginia will be immediately repealed when the new Board takes office in January."

Sounds like a declaration of war to me.

I will stick with Lawfare.

She seems like she wants to be Queen and Lord over people based on an "election". Elections do not dissolve the inherent rights of the people or grant her any such authority. She needs to review her oath of office and Article 1 of the Virginia Constitution. That is the law she must follow.

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got me an idea, tell me if you guys think it makes sense. What if we at set our VA withholding to zero on 1/1/20, put it in a savings account, and pay the taxes on 4/15/21. Zero tax penalty for that.

Skins - I, too, am a Virginia resident. I support your concern; however, I don't believe it will fly. Can you show me, in print, where there is zero tax penalty if you don't pay your Virginia tax until your tax return is due (actually NLT May 1st, not April 15th)?

Before you respond, please read the 2018 Instructions for Form 760C, Underpayment of Virginia Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates and Trusts. I don't see the instructions changing for 2019.

Link

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:

She seems like she wants to be Queen and Lord over people based on an "election". Elections do not dissolve the inherent rights of the people or grant her any such authority. She needs to review her oath of office and Article 1 of the Virginia Constitution. That is the law she must follow.

"That is the law she must follow." Why do those words sound so hollow to me?

It's quite evident that these days lawmakers are lawbreakers. And they do so with impunity, as the courts either stand with them or deny hearing cases against them.

As one poster here (or elsewhere) wryly commented, "It's time for Virginia to change its seal."

(For those who need a Latin refresher, "Sic Semper Tyrannis" means "thus always to tyrants." Virginia legislators have become King George III.)

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
I got me an idea, tell me if you guys think it makes sense. What if we at set our VA withholding to zero on 1/1/20, put it in a savings account, and pay the taxes on 4/15/21. Zero tax penalty for that.

Skins - I, too, am a Virginia resident. I support your concern; however, I don't believe it will fly. Can you show me, in print, where there is zero tax penalty if you don't pay your Virginia tax until your tax return is due (actually NLT May 1st, not April 15th)?

Before you respond, please read the 2018 Instructions for Form 760C, Underpayment of Virginia Estimated Tax by Individuals, Estates and Trusts. I don't see the instructions changing for 2019.

Link

There goes my idea. Looks like you need to do like a business and do quarterly estimated payments. Sounded really good in theory.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Elections have consequences....... Sure, but none of them include tyranny.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Elections have consequences....... Sure, but none of them include tyranny.

Stolen.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
unless I am mistaken , Chesterfield has a meeting tonight on Sanctuary status,

I have the late shift, so cannot go, but my Brother is going ,

doubting it will happen here, since we are apparently a sanctuary county for illegals,

however, my current BoS rep was voted out so things may look up in Jan

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blackface Northam is trying to muddy the waters. Don't fall for any of this nonsense Virginia.

Virginia gun law would include grandfather clause for current owners of assault weapons

https://www.washingtonexaminer...s-of-assault-weapons

If a proposed assault weapons ban in Virginia is signed into law, citizens who already own the banned weapons would not be required to give up their guns, according to a new report.

"The governor’s assault weapons ban will include a grandfather clause for individuals who already own assault weapons, with the requirement they register their weapons before the end of a designated grace period,” Gov. Ralph Northam's office told the Virginia Mercury on Monday. "Additional details on this and all other bills will be announced prior to the start of the upcoming session.”

The sweeping legislation, being written by the Democratically-controlled House of Delegates, would ban assault weapons, bump stocks, and high-capacity magazines.

More than 80 counties throughout the commonwealth have passed local resolutions declaring themselves "Second Amendment sanctuaries," vowing to not comply with a rumored mandatory buy-back program.

The term "sanctuary city" is most commonly associated with immigration. In these places, local leaders have vowed not to cooperate with federal immigration police.

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Virginians need to tell their racist governor where he can shove his proposed laws and grandfather clause bs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:

"That is the law she must follow." Why do those words sound so hollow to me?

It's quite evident that these days lawmakers are lawbreakers. And they do so with impunity, as the courts either stand with them or deny hearing cases against them.

As one poster here (or elsewhere) wryly commented, "It's time for Virginia to change its seal.

Yes, they some are lawbreakers. Some are obviously power drunk. Some are just flat out ignorant people driven by irrational emotions.

The words are hollow as long as no one actively pushes back. That is happening now in Virginia. People are distressed regarding the blatant attack on the 2nd Amendment when in fact this is about all rights, including those not enumerated - like the right to be left alone to live your life as long as you do not infringe on the rights of others.

We have inherent rights and they are not subject to votes or elections. If they were, the legislature could pass a law to kill or imprison anyone because they don't like their opinion of the legislators. After all, that would be the "law" and there would be nothing to stop them. As you point out, the courts frequently stand with the other branches or ignore anything against the other branch.

If we don't push back, educate our brothers and sisters, and correct the errant thinking of the our servants in government, we will be a short step from the days of Stalin and the Gulags.

Reason must rule over emotion so we must push back as hard as we can - peacefully.