SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
Page 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... 96
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
An Anderson Law break down of how this set aside till next year came to be.

https://www.facebook.com/virgi...eos/183435716245651/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Y'know, every time I click on the forum link I see the map on page one. I thought folks might like to see how that map has changed since the thread began.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Today's stinging defeat put Governor Ralph Northam in a black mood.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Boysko must go!

I agree, but it will pretty hard. She lied to me personally that day as well. She told me that she understood that certain features are common and she understood a threaded barrel is on all modern sporting rifles. She also said she had changed her position and that she understood how common mags greater than ten are. She said she was weighing all sides and it wouldn't be a party line vote from her.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.

A question: Is it really dead for the year, or could the sneak it around through another committee to get it to the full state senate?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Congratulations.

A question: Is it really dead for the year, or could the sneak it around through another committee to get it to the full state senate?

I cannot speak to the veracity of this, but I heard one pundit say it could get brought straight to the Senate floor, but it was unlikely to happen.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31428 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Senator Amanda Chase has been instrumental in this fight. She just announced that she will be running for Governor.

I can honestly say "I'm with her."

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Good job all of you. I'm very happy this worked out!

Next stop, kick that baby-killing idiot out of the governor mansion. "Conversation with the Mother after the child is born" my ass.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Can someone please explain to me what this "dead for the year" bullshit means?

Does it mean that Bloomberg (and his Democrat buddies) didn't want this to interfere with the upcoming election so they decided to shelve it until after?

Yeah, they're delaying it until after the election because they want a deep and intense study of the crime stats. Yeah, I'm certain that's the reason.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Need to Kill the red flag crap and HB177 which defeats the electoral college

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Congratulations.

According to news reports, the bill has been referred to the Virginia State Crime Commission.
quote:
The purpose of the Commission is to study, report, and make recommendations on all areas of public safety and protection. In so doing, the Commission shall endeavor to ascertain the causes of crime and recommend ways to reduce and prevent it, explore and recommend methods of rehabilitation of convicted criminals, study compensation of persons in law enforcement and related fields and study other related matters including the apprehension, trial and punishment of criminal offenders.

The Commission is directed to make such recommendations as it deems appropriate with respect to the foregoing matters, and shall coordinate the proposals and recommendations of all commissions and agencies as to legislation affecting crimes, crime control and criminal procedure. The Commission cooperates with the executive branch of state government, the Attorney General's Office and the judiciary who are, in turn, encouraged to cooperate with the Commission. The Commission also cooperates with governments and governmental agencies of other states and the United States.

So, it could conceivably be brought forward again, but probably not until the next legislative session, which is next year. Considering the General Assembly has just pushed this into Northam's lap, I'll give you two guesses where it goes next.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brings to mind another happy day when Obama and company got the news that there would be no renewed ban on guns, mags, etc. I still remember the sour look on the bastards face like it was yesterday. Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Who knows what the fanatical DEMs will do ?

this article offers some thoughts though

https://www.richmond.com/news/...29-8e21d7264aff.html

Virginia Senate panel puts off assault weapons ban until next year in setback for Northam

Legislation to ban assault weapons under an expanded definition won’t advance out of the General Assembly this year, a win for gun rights advocates and a setback for Gov. Ralph Northam’s gun control agenda.

Four Democrats joined Republicans to defeat the measure Monday in the Senate Judiciary Committee — a notable show of disunity in a party that emphasized gun control during its successful electoral bid for control of the legislature.

Democratic Sens. Creigh Deeds of Bath, John Edwards of Roanoke, Chap Petersen of Fairfax City, and Scott Surovell of Fairfax, voted to punt on the measure.

House Bill 961, introduced by Del. Mark Levine, D-Alexandria, would have banned possession of magazines that can hold more than 12 rounds and the sale of some types of semiautomatic rifles and pistols.

“HB961 went down by a 10 to 5 vote!" Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, tweeted after the vote. "Everybody’s hard work, Lobby Day, and sanctuary movement paid off!,” Van Cleave wrote. He was referring to the movement in which more than 100 Virginia counties, cities and towns pledged not to enforce gun laws they consider unconstitutional. Attorney General Mark Herring said the resolutions have no legal effect.

The Northam administration and gun control advocates expressed disapproval of the panel’s vote, arguing that the firearms that the measure would ban are weapons of war that don’t belong in the hands of everyday citizens.

“With the last election, many had thought that the antiquated political thinking around guns was over — but today a few Democratic senators showed that they are still stuck in the past,” said Lori Haas, the state director for the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, whose daughter was injured in the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting.

The measure presented to lawmakers on Monday included weaker penalties than the version Levine initially introduced. It also allowed current owners of restricted firearms to keep them, only banning sales, transfers and imports.

The changes weren’t enough to convince some Democrats in the committee. After little debate among lawmakers, the panel voted to kick the bill to next year’s session, calling for a study of the legislation by the Virginia Crime Commission.

“The votes in the Senate have not existed to pass the bill since we gaveled in" Jan. 8, "and the bill has numerous issues that needed to be refined,” Surovell said in a statement posted to Facebook defending his vote.

He said that increasing regulation of assault rifles is “a concept which I fully support.”

Deeds, Edwards and Petersen could not be immediately reached for comment.

Republicans unified in their opposition of the bill, joined by a few dozen gun rights advocates who flooded the committee room to speak against the measure.

The measure would have banned the import, sale and transfer of a semiautomatic rifle or pistol with a pistol grip, a second hand grip, a silencer or a folding stock, among other characteristics — subject to a class 6 felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

It would have also banned possession of magazines that can hold more than 12 rounds of ammunition, subject to a Class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a $2,500 fine. The sale of such magazines would be subject to a class 6 felony.

The House had cleared the measure last week on a 51-48 vote, mostly along party lines. In that chamber, four of 55 Democrats broke with their party to oppose the ban: Dels. Lee Carter of Manassas, Steve Heretick of Portsmouth and Roslyn Tyler of Sussex voted against the bill; Kelly Convirs-Fowler of Virginia Beach did not cast a vote, though she was in the chamber.

House Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn criticized the Senate panel’s vote in a statement Monday.

"The Democratic platform last fall was very clear,” Filler-Corn said. “The [House] delivered on our promise to take action to keep those weapons off our streets. To call today's vote by the Senate Judiciary Committee a disappointment would be an understatement."

wait till Nov 2021 and you will really be disappointed

Alena Yarmosky, a spokeswoman for the Northam administration, said of the vote in a statement: “While the governor is disappointed in today’s vote, he fully expects the crime commission to give this measure the detailed review that senators called for. We will be back next year."

The Northam administration, she said, remains hopeful about the seven other measures in its gun control package as it moves through the legislature.

The House already cleared the eight measures the administration is pitching. The package was not as a successful in the Senate, where just three of the eight measures passed without major amendments and two advanced with changes the House did not adopt.

The chambers will have to work out differences on bills that cleared the chambers in the coming weeks ahead of the session's scheduled March 7 adjournment.

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Are you wondering what look was on Mark Levine's face as the Virginia Senate Judiciary Committee voted to not move forward on HB961, the "assault weapons" ban and magazine confiscation bill, for the year.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosa.../1229418227656282113

pic:

can you pick out the DEMs ?

Posts: 19564 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the interim, I e-mailed Sen. Surovell to thank him for his vote. We won this round, there will be others.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I told my wife last night that come tomorrow she may be married to a criminal..

Thank God I’m not!

To tell the truth I am surprised that Edwards voted to table the bill. He has been too slick for toooo long.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
Are you wondering what look was on Mark Levine's face as the Virginia Senate Judiciary Committee voted to not move forward on HB961, the "assault weapons" ban and magazine confiscation bill, for the year.

Video here:

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosa.../1229418227656282113

pic:

can you pick out the DEMs ?
Sweet! But somebody should have kicked Levine in the twins on his way out of that room.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I'd like to thank all the forum members that fought this.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
I'd like to thank all the forum members that fought this.

I'll name a few specifically: you, Skins2881, fpuhan, and especially sdy and DSgrouse for delving into and sharing the details, and to stickman for starting the thread. That's certainly not to shortchange anyone else who has contributed to this forum, but these members stand out to me in particular. Thank you, each and every one of you, who wrote, called, emailed, and prompted others (like me) to do the same.

Let's take a moment to relax and breathe, and then jump right back into the anti-gunners in the legislature with both feet. As my old friend Steve would say, "stomp a mudhole in 'em, and then stomp it dry." Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This is what democracy looks like..........which is why Leftists hate it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29683 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post