SIGforum
Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/8330006364

January 11, 2020, 07:19 PM
SteadyHand
Calling all Virginia members. Movement to declare cities/counties in VA second amendment sanctuary cities is gaining momentum. Has your city voted?
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
So my question is what happens after we all become felon? What do we think these clowns really think is going to happen?

The "Class 6 felony" in Virginia we would be liable for receiving would mean that the Commonwealth would then confiscate our firearms (of every kind) and then deem us ineligible for owning or possessing any firearm at all forever after. We would also be precluded/stopped from any level of government job, including teaching/coaching, law enforcement, etc.
January 11, 2020, 07:30 PM
thunderson
Of course that's after one is charged and convicted. I'm not sure how they are going to achieve this. Even if it gets to trial good luck finding a state sympathetic jury pool. I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem in a few areas but I think most of Virginia would not be very convinced by the State.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
January 11, 2020, 07:31 PM
vthoky
Yes, I'm a Mark Robinson fan.
Here's a bit more from him.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/OPt8kZ7Q5SI

God bless America.
January 11, 2020, 09:19 PM
Ironworker
By convicting a bunch of gun owners of felonies, the Democrats would also eliminate a bunch of Republican voters. If you do not believe they have thought of that, you are fooling yourself. Even if you are arrested, but not convicted, it will cost you a lot of money and vastly complicate your life going forward. So it is a win-win for the Democrats. The people that vote against them are either prohibited from voting or move out of state.
January 11, 2020, 09:41 PM
Sunset_Va
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
By convicting a bunch of gun owners of felonies, the Democrats would also eliminate a bunch of Republican voters. If you do not believe they have thought of that, you are fooling yourself. Even if you are arrested, but not convicted, it will cost you a lot of money and vastly complicate your life going forward. So it is a win-win for the Democrats. The people that vote against them are either prohibited from voting or move out of state.

Interesting aspect you discussed.

美しい犬
January 11, 2020, 10:20 PM
SteadyHand
Isn't there some clever way to irritate the living hell out of these tyrants?

My initial thought was to see what is 'legal' after these new laws, then stock my safe with the most obnoxious firearms possible...example, the S&W 500 magnum.

There has to be some nasty, death-star-type mega-blaster that falls through the cracks of their stupid laws (e.g., handguns must be <50oz) and yet piss them off because it's ridiculously obnoxious (i.e., 460/500 S&W).

If they don't cancel Virginia's open carry, then seeing half the population strap a giant ass revolver on their hips would irritate the crap out of them (the goal). Immature? Yes, of course it is. Effective? I bet it would be.
January 11, 2020, 10:58 PM
thunderson
quote:
Originally posted by SteadyHand:
Isn't there some clever way to irritate the living hell out of these tyrants?......

Yes. Call them. I'm not joking. In speaking with some delegates today as well as some professional agitators there are several things you can do.

1)Email. Email many many times to as many as you can using multiple accounts.

2)Make phone calls. Call as many as you can about every every item. They really do pay attention to this. It's all about votes and the next election. Delegates and Senators recognize that each phone call represents approx 100 votes. Call Call Call

3)Show up at every rally you can. Go to every event and film it. Post it on social media. They know that large turnouts are more devastating even than phone calls.

The democratic strategy this session is engineered to interrupt this.

1) Carrying firearms in the capital building has be allowed for years. They are well aware there is no real threat. Every year VCDL goes to lobby and many dems can't be found. Some can. Those that can are those who won with narrow margins.

2) Dems know that many going to lobby day do not want to go to Richmond unarmed. Leaving your weapon outside with someone is a pain in the ass so they are betting that this rule change will lesson the number of people lobbying.

3) Speaking of the rule change, it was done by committee this year instead of the assembly voting on it. This protected those dems who won by narrow margins from voting and pissing off their constituents.

They do not want to hear from us or see us. We MUST be seen and heard. That frightens them more than anything because voices and faces represent real votes.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
January 12, 2020, 12:30 AM
Modern Day Savage
I'm hoping that many Virginia gun owners realize that the proposed gun control laws and the reactions of gun owners to them there are being noticed by many outside the state. Even the NRA-ILA website is dominated by various Virginia alerts.

Unfortunately, many other Democrat controlled legislatures and Democrat Governors are also sitting up and taking notice and jumping on the "band wagon" in their respective states. Colorado, Washington, and Mexico as a few examples... so you guys have a bit of the national spotlight on you.

Jeff Crank is a Colorado native, a Conservative, and a 2A supporter as well as an avid hunter. He once worked as a congressional staffer for a Republican Congressman, once ran and lost for a Republican seat, and in addition to working for the Americans for Prosperity free market group, he also has a Saturday radio show that discusses both local and national political issues.

Jeff Crank Show

On this mornings show he interviewed one (of many) Colorado sheriffs opposed to the Colorado Red Flag laws as well as the magazine capacity restrictions, and discussed how his department will handle the Red Flag ERPO orders they will be serving to gun owners, as well as their legal plans to oppose them.

In the last hour of Jeff's show he took off early to go pheasant hunting, however he brought on another well known local to fill in, Laura Carno, who is involved with a number of local Conservative groups and issues, a staunch 2A supporter, and she runs a Colorado program designed to specifically train school and church staff in firearms training and First Responder training. (limited slots open to non school non church staff interested in such training.)

Laura Carno interviewed 2A supporter and Virginia resident Cam Edwards of Cam & Company podcast as well as the Bearing Arms websites.

Cam & Company podcast

Bearing Arms

If any of you would like to hear Colorado Sheriff Elder's comments on how he plans to oppose Red Flag laws while serving the orders go to the 07:30-07:45 portion of the podcast interview.

If you would just like to listen to Laura Carno's interview of Cam Edwards and his comments regarding info on Virginia's proposed gun control laws as well as info regarding your upcoming Lobby Day, go to the 08:00-08:30 portion of the interview.

It might be a good idea if some of the Virginia sheriffs opposed to the proposed laws hear some ideas from other state Sheriffs already dealing with them.

Jeff Crank Show- 1-11-20 Sheriff Elder and Cam Edwards interviews
January 12, 2020, 07:41 AM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

Interesting aspect you discussed.

That IS a very interesting viewpoint.

[sarcasm] But considering King Ralph's plan to turn felons loose early, label them "returning citizens," and restore all their rights, conservatives and gun owners will be back on the streets in no time! [/sarcasm]

Seriously, though, it does look like a well-orchestrated move to eliminate Dems' competition.

- - - - -

ETA: Link 1 and Link 2

Plus (Sensationalist) Link 3, Link 4, and Link 5 for good measure. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vthoky,

God bless America.
January 12, 2020, 11:02 AM
Strider41
Building on initiatives in the Counties and some cities, litigation is a solid next step. Tie up the administration in the courts. Secondly, in addition to get out the votes for the next election, we should be flooding the house and senate committee members with jurisdiction with our views as well as our specific senators and delegates. Additionally, we need to write letters to the editor of local as well as national newspapers in a calm and rational demeanor regarding the specific reasons we oppose the proposed legislation in order to educate the public. I have done all of the above even though I know my senator and delegate are in the gun control camp. I am a member of VCDL, VSSA, SAF, CCRKBA, NRA. Probably need to join GOA as well. These organizations are at the tip of the spear in this fight.

Lastly, the Virginia constitution has provisions to address the recall and removal of elected officials. Specific criteria are enumerated. If the current laws don’t cover one’s specific situation, then amendments need to be proposed. Other states may have similar provisions in their laws. If not, then changes should be proposed.

My signature element “Dum Spiro Pugno” translates to “While I Breathe I fight.” What this fight needs is persistent and continuous advocacy supporting our constitutional rights.

Dum Spiro Pugno
January 12, 2020, 12:22 PM
rat2306
^^^ To build on that, Strider41 no doubt the other side is thinking of long game strategies to counter our lawful moves. This morning while tossing and turning, I had a thought. If Bloomberg and Co. contributed $6.5M to the Dems to swing the election and push their agenda here; in a state with a 2018 estimated population of 8.5M residents, our right is valued at roughly 77 cents a person. I hope someone at the organizations engaged in the fight have looked at the math also, and perhaps use this as a talking point.
January 13, 2020, 05:41 AM
sdy
https://www.breitbart.com/poli...nst-northam-gun-ban/

The NRA will be handing out 1,000 30-round magazines in the Virginia Capitol City of Richmond Monday as part of the fight against Gov. Ralph Northam’s (D) gun grab.

The NRA used a Sunday night tweet to explain that Magpul Industries — a renowned magazine and firearm accessory maker — sent 1,000 magazines to the gun rights organization in order to have them given out to pro-Second Amendment Virginians on Monday.

Monday is January 13, the day on which the NRA has asked its members to flood into Virginia Senate meetings and ensure that pro-Second Amendment voices drown out those calling for gun control.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stray thought - any Virginia people who know DEMs who have guns, get on them. Tell them this is what happened as a a result of THEIR votes.

There must be quite a few DEMs who aren't happy w the antigun law push.
January 13, 2020, 07:18 AM
vthoky
I had some time to think during my commute this morning, and three items bounced around for a bit.

The first is 95flhr’s question: “what happens after we all become felons?”

Second is Strider41’s mention of rational discussions in the news media. I think that’s a very valuable tool.

Third was my own previous statements about localities essentially being businesses, dependent upon revenue and responsible for managing expenses. I’ve said earlier that if a locality doesn’t stand in the way of state laws that make felons of large numbers of its citizens then it’s essentially begging for its own economic failure (by way of lost tax revenue and increased jail expense).

As I got to my desk, the pieces came together. We do need to start peppering our news outlets with rational discussions and interviews with responsible gun owners. We should include in those discussions an appeal to Virginia business owners both large and small to make their voices heard too.

Think about it. If these proposed laws turn large numbers of us into felons, we’ll no longer be employable (think about how many businesses in Virginia have something to do with aerospace / defense / government work). Losing large numbers of employees (by way of either firings or prosecution) could cripple Virginia businesses. Additionally, though we don’t enjoy taking the “pack up and move” path, some number of Virginia residents will do just that in order to avoid these insane proposals. The effect is similar: reduced availability of good employees in the state.

Even if (as pessimist pointed in a January 7 post) the Dems don’t care about the health of the national economy and are willing to sabotage it in order to push forth their agenda, Virginia's business owners should be raising Cain about this mess too.

God bless America.
January 13, 2020, 08:12 AM
sdy
I agree w above post.

The impact of these proposed laws will be monumental and life changing for hundreds of thousands of Virginians.

I have friends and neighbors who are DEMs. We talk but always avoid politics because we know we have diff views.

For me the relationship w people who vote DEM has changed. I now look for opportunities to tell them what I think of the people they elected to rule over us.

As we fight the DEMs controlling Virginia, it is as if we have gone back in time to the 1700's. We have an oppressive ruling class that wants to restrict our rights to own guns.

They try to shutdown open discussion of topics by shouting people down and in some cases physical confrontation.

The oppression is taking away basic rights established in our constitution. I wonder if our discussions right now today are much different than discussions by Americans in the 1760s and 1770s.
January 13, 2020, 08:28 AM
SteadyHand
I cannot believe for the life of me see how this doesn't spark an all out civil war with serious casualties.

It's very obvious these gun laws have nothing whatsoever to do with mass shootings, and instead they are intended to be the steps necessary to inflict serious infringement on the 2A.

If we stand by and let these laws take affect without doing what our founding fathers did to the British, then we need to admit to ourselves that we are the world's most pathetic cowards that ever lived since the beginning of earth. I mean that.

If we're not willing to stand up and be American about this in the same exact way our founding fathers did, then we all need to turn in every firearm, and instead get a box of Huggies Pullups, some wet wipes, baby powder, some pacifiers, craw into our cribs and admit once and for all we're a bunch of pansy babies, not free men and women.

This is the Dems calling our bluff that we are free citizens, willing to defend ourselves and our loved ones. The Dems are saying we are cowardly "subjects" under their divine and superior rule. It looks like they are correct...we are nothing more than pansy cowards of the highest yellow-belly sort...flat in front like Ken. I'm sick of losing sleep over this...I'm tired and give up...that it's gone this far is an abomination to all of our freedom. The American flag can now be burned in permanency.
January 13, 2020, 08:32 AM
DSgrouse
I am stuck at home and work today.

Here are some pics and videos from today's NRA rally.
From an Ashland police officer.
https://www.facebook.com/BlueL...eos/560439061480009/

Some of the people meeting downtown.

From the ASA and NRA

On several R delegate pages

The senate live stream: main page
https://virginia-senate.granic...suWFUC4SNZLuohGa5M40

Actual video
https://virginia-senate.granic...5YtcHCJ_SrdUoUk2nHq8

more pics

A vid of the people waiting to get in.
https://www.facebook.com/greg....NTc5MDMxNzc3MjA2OTk/

VCDL president Phil Van Cleave on twitter.
https://twitter.com/VCDL_ORG/s...NN3B_106liQPYR7gcmPk

From The owner of a small LGS (brothers n arms ) in Goochland.

quote:

senate district11
9:47 AM (4 minutes ago)
to me

Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your message. Senator Chase will not support any gun control legislation. She has earned an A rating and a 100% from the NRA and VCDL, respectively. You can count on her to maintain those high marks during her new term in the state senate. Are you available to join us in our Richmond office on VCDL Lobby Day, Monday January 20? We will be addressing how to oppose specific gun control measures at that time. Can you join us then?

God Bless,

Lauren Fulcher

Sr. Legislative Aide

Senator Amanda Chase
Senate District 11
district11@senate.virginia.gov
804-698-7511

quote:

Terry Kilgore
9:43 AM (7 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Mr. Kimpton,

Delegate Kilgore intends to oppose any and all regulations or laws that infringe upon the Second Amendment right to bear arms. Please feel free to contact our office anytime.

Gus Chafin, Legislative Assistant

Delegate Terry G. Kilgore

First District

Counties of Lee, Scott, and Wise (part); City of Norton

Richmond: 804-698-1001

quote:

senate district20
9:50 AM (2 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Aaron and Charminy,

Thank you for taking the time to write to me about your current concerns on proposed gun control legislation. I love nothing more than hearing from individuals in my district about matters that effect your way of life. As my 10-year record in the Virginia Senate has demonstrated, I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and I am opposed to all of the gun control bills proposed this year by the liberal democrats. We have seen that the liberal left is intending to infringe on out constitutional rights; from making virtually every firearm owned by law abiding citizen in to an “assault weapon” illegal, therefore making all law-abiding gun owners, including me, into felons.

This cannot stand. I will fight with every fiber of my being any attempt to have the government infringe on our 2nd Amendment rights. This is just the beginning of a fight over the preservation of our God given rights with those who seek to take them away.

I want you to be rest assured that we will do all in our power to stop this attempt at an unconstitutional over-reach by the liberal left. Thank you for your activism on this very important issue. Please feel free to reach out to both myself and my staff with any other concerns or questions you may have as these bills come before me.

Regards,

Senator Bill Stanley.

quote:

Christopher E Collins
9:53 AM (0 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Mr. and Mrs. Kimpton,

Thank you very much for writing.

Delegate Collins has received a vast number of emails and phone calls on the proposed legislation regarding firearms. He will carefully review each and every bill that that comes before him, and consider all input from from the community before casting any vote.

As of now, there are no firearm bills that Delegate Collins supports. There are far too many bills at this time waiting for committee assignment to address each individually but we will try to keep everyone up to date as we move forward.

Greg Parker
Chief of Staff for Delegate Collins

Delegate Chris Collins
Virginia House of Delegates, 29th District

District Office

T: 540-539-1724

Richmond Office

T: 804-698-1029

Web: http://www.delegatecollins.com

Compare those to the standard dem emailed response.

quote:
Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I appreciate your comments and concerns.

Due to the high volume of email inquiries that our office receives during the General Assembly session, we aim to prioritize inquiries and emails from constituents of the 40th House District. If you have not already included it, please reply to this email with your mailing address so that we can respond to you in a timely manner.

Click here and type in your address to find out if you’re in the 40th District. <http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/>

If the matter you are writing about requires immediate attention, please contact our Richmond office at 804-698-1040.

Again, thank you for your email, and please do not hesitate to contact me in the future. I truly appreciate you taking the time to write me.

Warm Regards,

Dan

January 13, 2020, 08:46 AM
Scurvy
Not surprised the struck the sb16, I think the house bill is the one they've been amending and will get pushed.
January 13, 2020, 09:24 AM
DSgrouse
this one is worth its own post.

Dick Saslaw being asked questions by his constituents and walking away.

https://m.facebook.com/story.p...767882&id=1254196412

quote:

VCDL Page - Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
2 mins ·
Universal Background Check bills. (SB 12 Rolled into SB 70). Vote was 9 to 5 to pass. The bill was modified to remove transfers, only sales. So loaning a gun is not affected. PVC

January 13, 2020, 10:11 AM
Leemur
They only pulled Saslaw’s bill because they have a more onerous one they like better in the house. Mad
January 13, 2020, 10:20 AM
wcb6092
Trump could be ‘big beneficiary' in Virginia gun control battle, urged to get involved

https://www.washingtonexaminer...rged-to-get-involved

The exploding battle over gun control in Virginia could help President Trump return the state to the GOP in the November elections, according to a leader of the effort to swat back limits on weapons.

“Gun owners are wide awake. Donald Trump is going to be the big beneficiary of this,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

“He should be tweeting more stuff on it, taking advantage of it, activating his base,” he added.

In reaction to plans by the state’s new Democratic legislative majority to pass sweeping gun control measures, some 100,000 gun owners and supporters have flooded into county and city meetings in the past two months to call for “gun sanctuaries” to ignore any new state laws.

The state GOP has attended many of those meetings to sign up new voters.

Trump lost Virginia to Hillary Clinton in 2016, 44.4% to 49.8%. And, in the 2019 state elections, Democrats took control of Richmond.

But in threatening gun control, said Van Cleave, Democrats “woke a sleeping giant” that should help the GOP this year.

“They basically declared war on gun owners,” he said, adding, “People are now active, awake, and they’re angry. They’re not just saying, ‘Oh, it’s irritating.’ They’re mad.”

Gun owners proved that early Monday when they jammed a Senate committee meeting being held to review several gun control bills, including gun bans, a universal background check, and a limit on handgun purchases.

VCDL and other gun groups pushed for supporters to show up at the meeting. One group said the meeting room was divided between pro- and anti-gun control supporters.

The National Rifle Association encouraged attendees with free ammunition magazines and T-shirts.