SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon bringing back the Unlimited Data Plan?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon bringing back the Unlimited Data Plan? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

You would need a Verizon mifi for your internet access, the speed the mifi downloads to you is regular 4g LTE SPEED for the first 22GBS for that month. MG

Can you or someone else elaborate on these details, please?

Right now and for the past several months my wife and I share a 16gb plan between our two iphones, and use the hot spot capabilities to tether to a desktop or laptop for home use. We have not gone over the limit, and it is our only internet connection for home use. We do not stream or watch movies or anything like that.

With these new unlimited plans there is a limit on tethering/hotspot use? Is that 10 gb?

If I would need to get another piece of hardware, or limit my hot spot use that would not make sense for me to change.

There is a 10GB limit for tethering at 4LTE speeds. After that it will still tether, just at 3G speeds.

There is a 10GB limit on tethering with the unlimited plan. Since you are not a heavy user the unlimited plan is probably not for you.MG

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You would need a Verizon mifi for your internet access, the speed the mifi downloads to you is regular 4g LTE SPEED for the first 22GBS for that month. MG

Can you or someone else elaborate on these details, please?

Right now and for the past several months my wife and I share a 16gb plan between our two iphones, and use the hot spot capabilities to tether to a desktop or laptop for home use. We have not gone over the limit, and it is our only internet connection for home use. We do not stream or watch movies or anything like that.

With these new unlimited plans there is a limit on tethering/hotspot use? Is that 10 gb?

If I would need to get another piece of hardware, or limit my hot spot use that would not make sense for me to change.

There is a 10GB limit for tethering at 4LTE speeds. After that it will still tether, just at 3G speeds.

There is a 10GB limit on tethering with the unlimited plan. Since you are not a heavy user the unlimited plan is probably not for you. It MG

No, you are incorrect. You can still tether after 10GB, just at slower speeds.

From Verizon's website:
quote:
Mobile hotspot/tethering reduced to 3G speeds after 10GB/month

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some of us that don't have high speed internet access 3g still beats the hell out of shitty Dish/Excede limited bandwidth usage and the dial up speed it drops to after you use bandwidth.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Below is my chat with Verizon this morning...lots of conflicting stories from Verizon here:

You

I will call the store....but I have another question

You

the new unlimited plan offers unlimited data...after 10gb does the phone service data drop from 4g to 3g?

Verizon

No.

Verizon

Still 4G LTE

You

please elaborate

Verizon

After 10GB you will still have 4G LTE connection

You

so the data does not drop from 4g

Verizon

Do you have any further questions or concerns I may assist you with?

Verizon

Yes. It will not dropped and will stay 4G LTE even after you use 10GB of data.

You

and ther is no limite on the gb used as a hotspot?

Verizon

Yes. There's none.

You

Thank you for your response and that is all. I will call the Verizon store for an explanation.

Verizon

I hope you have a splendid rest of your day, and thanks for being a valued customer and the best part of Verizon Wireless!

Posts: 1890 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
Below is my chat with Verizon this morning...lots of conflicting stories from Verizon here:

You

You

the new unlimited plan offers unlimited data...after 10gb does the phone service data drop from 4g to 3g?

Verizon

No.

Verizon

Still 4G LTE

You

please elaborate

Verizon

You

Verizon

Verizon

You

Verizon

Yes. There's none.

You

Thank you for your response and that is all. I will call the Verizon store for an explanation.

Verizon

I hope you have a splendid rest of your day, and thanks for being a valued customer and the best part of Verizon Wireless!

The data is unlimited. And you asked the wrong question. You asked a phone drops from 4glte at 10 gigs, it does not, it drops at 22 gigs. At that point it gets prioritiezed to 3g during heavy use.

The 10gig comes into play if you use your phone or mifi to tether laptops, ipads to. That is limited to 10gigs. After that it deops to a flat 3g.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

You

You

Verizon

No.

Verizon

Still 4G LTE

You

please elaborate

Verizon

You

Verizon

Verizon

You

Verizon

Yes. There's none.

You

Verizon

The data is unlimited. And you asked the wrong question. You asked a phone drops from 4glte at 10 gigs, it does not, it drops at 22 gigs. At that point it gets prioritiezed to 3g during heavy use.

The 10gig comes into play if you use your phone or mifi to tether laptops, ipads to. That is limited to 10gigs. After that it deops to a flat 3g.

I did not include the complete email string as it was very long. I specifically asked if there was a limit on phone data using as a hotspot (that is tether) and was told by Verizon that there is no limit....I also specifically asked if data used as a hotspot drops to 3g at any data point and was told no it does not reduce to 3g.
Do I believe them? No I don't and just pointing out that Verizon is stating conflicting information

posted Hide Post
Another misinformation I just found out this morning.

Verizon told me numerous times in chat and on the phone that we could go to any Verizon store and the store could complete the transfer from Sprint to Verizon at no charge. Verizon would even replace the sim card for free.

My son goes to a Verizon Store in a different town (lives away) last night and tries to switch from Sprint to Verizon and we have to give Verizon all kinds of information which was unexpected...according to Verizon chat and phone the process should be relatively simple. My son finally get the transfer complete and calls me and says he had to pay $50.00 for the transfer???!!! WTF
I call the Verizon store this morning and they say there is a $50.00 charge for the transfer. To make the story shorter I finally find out that the Verizon Store was not a Verizon Premium Retail Store and was nothing ore than a used car lot that charges for everything. To get a free sim card and transfer you must go to a Verizon Premium Retailer...something Verizon fails to disclose.

posted Hide Post
Another misinformation from Verizon...you do not go to a Verizon Premium Retailer but a Verizon Corporate Store to make a free switch...at least that is what the Premium Retailer in the area just told me.

posted Hide Post
I know I might be beating this thread to death but this shit pisses e off.

I spoke with 2 different Verizon Corporate stores in cities where my 2 sons will be switching from Sprint to Verizon and they will be glad to do the switch and there is no charge for this service fro them.
NEITHER of the sales people I spoke with knew that a Verizon Retailer would charge $30.00 for the transfer and $20.00 for the sim card....both told me that the Verizon Retail stores get sim cards from their Corporate stores all the time for free....what a racket.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Then it's a no-go for me. I'm not adding another piece of equipment, and the downgrade from 4 to 3G is too much.

Root your phone and they wont know you are tethering. Ive been doing this for years with my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was on the phone with Verizon for 13 hours yesterday trying to get those idiots to get me a straight answer on the porting process of my phones which was having issues....be very, very, careful when dealing with Verizon is all I will say.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was on the phone with Verizon for 13 hours yesterday trying to get those idiots to get me a straight answer on the porting process of my phones which was having issues....be very, very, careful when dealing with Verizon is all I will say.

I won't call them. Always been afraid some moron would "accidentally " remove my unlimited plan. I always handle my account issues online.

Posts: 7389 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
quote:

I usually do this also but online chat wouldn't assist with the problem and told me I had to call an 800 number to take care of the issue...when I called the 800 number the Verizon customer service told me I needed to go online to take care of the issue....when I went online to take care of the issue I was told that I had to call an 800 number to take care of the issue....when I called the 800 number I was told I had to go online to take care of the issue....I shit you not that this went on all friggen day and spoke with many different supervisors and every single one of them contradicted the previous one.

No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
Since I have no cable and no way to get internet where I am other than my phone, I've been running a little experiment on the slow down or no slow downs question. Since this plan came out and I switched to it, I have been using my phone exclusively for watching Apple TV. So far I have racked up 24GB of data doing that, much past the 10GB tethering or even 22GB total before slow down I keep hearing about. Of course all this proves is that I haven't noticed any slow down, the movies still play fine with no buffering on Netflix. When I get home tonight I'll watch another movie and see how it does since my billing cycle ends tomorrow. I'm still ok with it if it does slow down because other than watching TV, I never go over 2 or 3GB/month, but so far it seems like a good replacement for the land Internet I don't have a source for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrajet:
Since I have no cable and no way to get internet where I am other than my phone, I've been running a little experiment on the slow down or no slow downs question. Since this plan came out and I switched to it, I have been using my phone exclusively for watching Apple TV. So far I have racked up 24GB of data doing that, much past the 10GB tethering or even 22GB total before slow down I keep hearing about. Of course all this proves is that I haven't noticed any slow down, the movies still play fine with no buffering on Netflix. When I get home tonight I'll watch another movie and see how it does since my billing cycle ends tomorrow. I'm still ok with it if it does slow down because other than watching TV, I never go over 2 or 3GB/month, but so far it seems like a good replacement for the land Internet I don't have a source for.

Thanks for the review and I'll be looking for the rest of it...we got the Verizon jetpack/wifi and data on our phones and are are anxious to see what happens when any reach the 10gb and 22gb level

Six Days on the Road
Picture of vandrv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Cobrajet, I am in the same boat as you. My only internet option is dsl through Verizon. In order to get this I need to keep my landline, which doesn't even have a phone connected to it. I'm paying $75.00 a month for this privilege. I was wondering about switching to the unlimited plan on my cell phone and dropping dsl. I do watch a fair amount of Netflix and Amazon prime, so I was wondering if you've hit the slowdown and how this affects your service?

Posts: 756 | Location: The Boulevard of Broken Dreams | Registered: June 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vandrv:
quote:

Cobrajet, I am in the same boat as you. My only internet option is dsl through Verizon. In order to get this I need to keep my landline, which doesn't even have a phone connected to it. I'm paying $75.00 a month for this privilege. I was wondering about switching to the unlimited plan on my cell phone and dropping dsl. I do watch a fair amount of Netflix and Amazon prime, so I was wondering if you've hit the slowdown and how this affects your service?

No, using my phone as my only source of watching TV, I've not noticed it yet ver slowing down as of yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post