SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon bringing back the Unlimited Data Plan?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon bringing back the Unlimited Data Plan? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Sadly not only is the data limited to 22 gigs at 4G speed, but tethering is limited to 10 gigs of data. Not useful for me.

Exactly. An unlimited data plan that has limits placed on it. No different than the AT&T "Unlimited" data plan I currently have.

quote:
Originally posted by logrusmaster:
Interesting, looks like they may offer unlimited for use at home too...

Wonder what the slow down rate is after your 22GB's... Is it only a knock down from 4G speed to say 5MB/s?

Because even if it is that might damn well be worth it for me since the fastest I can currently get is 4Mb/s of high latency internet at $189 a quarter... combine that with throwing unlimited at my cell line, gf's line, house line, and the best friend who's on my plan and that might actually be worth it...

I have AT&T which has the same limitations in place on their "unlimited" plan. The last time I went over the limit of my "unlimited" plan, I did a couple speed tests. I got results of: .53, .48, .09, .29, .49, .11, .43, and .28 Mbps. It was so slow that I had text emails that would timeout rather than download.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with Verizon and switched from our current 15GB plan (three lines) to the their unlimited plan and ended up saving $18.00 a month by doing so.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
They should just call it a 22GB plan.

Posts: 2009 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

I was curious about this too. I've been tempted to stream music in the car but didn't know how much it would cost.

Let's assume I have 1GB of data allocation per month. Assuming 5MB per song, allows for 200 songs. At 5 minutes per song, that is about 1000 minutes or 16 hours worth of music. If my commute is 1 hour per day, that's only about 2 weeks; the other two weeks is over my allocation.

And I'm guessing that music sights aren't just streaming music but also advertisements (including video ads). So, I'd probably hit my allocation limit even sooner.

I have TuneIn and PC Radio apps on my head unit, so I can tell you about them. They have bit rate selection options on many, if not all stations. The lowest I've seen is 64 and the highest is 320 kb. The low bit rate helps budget data and is more reliable in spotty coverage, at the loss of sound quality.

I've never seen a video ad with these two services. It's always a pop-up that either offers premium service or to rate the app and you won't see them unless you're in the player screen. Streaming won't be affected.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
The most I have ever used in one month is 65GB.

I dont think im going to change off of my grandfathered unlimited plan. I average 25gb a month. Not going to be throttled after 22gb.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
What we have here is evidence that T-Mobile is giving Verizon's subscription base an ass woopin'.

Wasnt it less than a year ago that Verizon's CEO said they'd never again offer unlimited, and that they had no intention of competing on price?

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I read about people using 200+ GB's of data a month. How in the hell would one do that? Stream movies all day at work? Gaming? What?

Verizon's plan also includes 10GB of tethering if you use your phone as a mobile hotspot. Everything I've read says that is separate from the 22GB, and my understanding is it's 22GB per line on the account, not 22GB shared

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I'm still debating the switch. I have a 6gb a month plan and rarely use much more than 4 GB/month it would cost me ~9.50 more per month.

Tethering is minimal for me so 10gb is plenty.

Can't deicide

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
What we have here is evidence that T-Mobile is giving Verizon's subscription base an ass woopin'.

Wasnt it less than a year ago that Verizon's CEO said they'd never again offer unlimited, and that they had no intention of competing on price?

T-Mobiles coverage sucks freaking balls!!!
I have had it for almost a year now. I switched from Sprint to save about $50 a month. At that it is worth it.
I just got a thing from Sprint wanting is back. Looks like I will be $10 a more going back to Sprint. I will gladly pay that to have coverage again.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just looked this up on "my verizon". I am currently on a 50 gb roll over plan. For those asking how could you use so much. Simple, we are rural, We have NO OTHER internet. Every thing runs off cell phone internet. Even then it is very limited speeds.

With this limited at 22gb per line, well I am not sure that is worth it for me.

Now for the other final kicker, our 50GB plan has a significant 24% discount on it. Should we switch to this new unlimited plan, verizon is saying we would loose that.

It is also saying the new unlimited plan would be 110 for the 3 phones and 1 mifi. droping my bill by another 35 bucks.

As a final note i wanted to upgrade my mifi. Ours is nearly 3 years old, and it was the original mifi tobegin with.

I did not want to upgrade because mifi, is limited to 10gigs a month.

In the check out it kept auto selecting the unlimited data upgrade. I finally found a verbage to keep my plan, but i had to clear my cart and start the process over to find that spot at the begining of the upgrade options que.

So i get to the check out, it says there is a problem, i keep getting a chat window pop up. Finally after the third time i ask why. Lady says i have two options call verizon to proceed with the order, the next is to continue with unlimited upgrade. I decline, the call and upgrade. I enter a new card to pay. I get a payment error, inreenter card get the same error. I get another pop up chat. I tell her the problem, she says it is because of my chip card. My options are.... you guessed it, sit on the phone with verizon, or upgrade to the unlimited plan.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

New CEO, new direction.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the last few months we have been researching 4g antennas/boosters. It seems a logical next step to help our mifi aquire better signals. We currently have about 2 bars in the house. Or the following,

In researching, i am finding that verizon may own the rights to most 4g bands in most areas. They typically only have one band open, possibly two in major metro sreas. These bands are packed, over loaded. This new unlimited plan screams data flow management. It seems to me this new plan seems to be the stop gap till verizon gets more bands fully open.

I am leary of making this change.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
We have Verizon for home internet with a 30 Gb plan that runs $12o a month. I was amazed how much data we used when we moved to it. We don't stream, mostly social media and browsing.

I'll probably go to this. My and my wife's cell phones are Tracfone which my wife buys a year of service and has thousands of roll over minutes. Mine is about $20 a month. I can't see me adding them to my Verizon plan.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I have google fiber at home and only use my phone when out. My wife and I share 4GB on data and have no issues going over. We pay $102 total a month.
Take a look at Total Wireless. They are an MVNO, reselling service on the Verizon network. You can bring your own Verizon-compatible phone. A one-time charge of ten bucks for a SIM for each phone. My wife and I share 8 GB of data, and the cost is sixty bucks / month. Tax adds less than $5.00, so the total is $64 and change. Month-to-month, no contract, no termination fee if you don't like them. Decent customer service if you need help.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
V-Tail, we looked at that and I'd have moved there except my family wanted the ability to use data while on a call. VoLTE is not available with TW.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: saigonsmuggler,

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm on a shared 12gb plan, and it involves a lot of cutting back on my part to make sure to not use too much. Between streaming music frequently, various youtube videos, transfering files as needed, and google maps/navigation, it adds up pretty fast.

I'll be running the numbers on the unlimited plan to see if it would save us anything in my situation or not.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

T-Mobiles coverage sucks freaking balls!!!
I have had it for almost a year now. I switched from Sprint to save about $50 a month. At that it is worth it.
I just got a thing from Sprint wanting is back. Looks like I will be $10 a more going back to Sprint. I will gladly pay that to have coverage again.
Cricket is way more better than Sprint. AT&T towers.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
How anyone csn use 200 gig in a month is beyond me. I have a hard time useing 3 and once I made it to 5. The $80.00 plan might have taxes and fees added. Along with the purchase of a new phone and you're likely to be right at $120.00, give or take a few dollars.

I use about 4 now because I don't have wifi anywhere and can't get internet where I live. Going back to an unlimited plan, I could start watching more than just antenna TV at home. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Pure Flix, but rarely watch them because streaming video blows through data too quick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
I read about people using 200+ GB's of data a month. How in the hell would one do that? Stream movies all day at work? Gaming? What?

Verizon's plan also includes 10GB of tethering if you use your phone as a mobile hotspot. Everything I've read says that is separate from the 22GB, and my understanding is it's 22GB per line on the account, not 22GB shared

I need to find out about that because tethering is the only reason I'd need unlimited.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
I was on the XXL plan and switched yesterday to the unlimited for the same price. I have 4 lines with VZW. It will be nice not to have to worry about usage.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 985 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post