SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How many Zwifters do we have on SF?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many Zwifters do we have on SF? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have always struggled with my weight in the winter and I needed to make a change. So this year i bought a smart trainer and a subscription to Zwift. It has been worth every penny. I have ridden about over almost 600 miles since Thanksgiving and look forward to riding 3 to 4 times a week. I have been averaging about 75 miles a week. I am looking forward to the upcoming riding season knowing the there won't be the saddle soreness at the start of the season.

Question:
Are you a Zwifter

Choices:
Yes
No

Question:
Would you be interested in a SF ride?

Choices:
Yes
No

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Is that like "Swinging/Swapping" in the 70s?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Like this you mean?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all seriousness have never heard of Zwifter. Guess it must be a regional thing. Sounds like it works for you and that is good.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he was asking about disposable dusters....

Posts: 16 | Registered: March 30, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I was Zwifting for a while, but wound up joining 24-hour fitness for my indoor cycling and bought a fairly nice Orbea for my road work. Not sure if I'll hook up the trainer in the house anytime in the very near future.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Is that when you lick the back of a frog to get high?

Oh naw bruddah, winter time be training time. Summer time be speedo time.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Is that like "Swinging/Swapping" in the 70s?

I think they call that "Lifestyling" these days. Razz

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
I literally downloaded the app on the apple TV last night and was going to try to set it up since my wife is traveling next week. I'll come back here if I get it all figured out.

I don't have a bluetooth trainer and would need to connect to the speed and cadence sensors on my road bike.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I alternate between Zwift and BKool for programs to control my smart trainer so I can ride my bicycle in the house.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to get back in the saddle again, it’s been over a year since I last rode. I was one of the very first subscribers to Zwift and used it to lose the last 50lbs or so of the 130 lbs I lost back in 2015-2016. I just checked to see how many miles I’ve logged in Zwift and it says I’ve done just over 29000 miles.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My Zwift setup:

I have an older Kinetics Rock and Roll Trainer that's not a "Smart" Trainer. After I bought my Orbea, I converted my old circa 1985 piece of steel Miyata bicycle into my indoor trainer by purchasing and building a "standard" 700c x 23mm wheel/tire setup...back when Zwift first came out, the program assumed that was your wheel size. Since my trainer isn't "Smart", I strung a USB cable with an ANT+ dongle under my bike to get the readings from the wheel and pedal sensors...I believe Zwift calls this "zPower" and it converts parameters such as MPH, Distance, and Wattage Output via algorithms based on your trainer, and required a "standard" wheel setup.
In later updates, Zwift made program changes that allowed the set up to be more accurate/flexible by having the user select his specific wheel size. This was helpful for a lot of folks that train with mountain bikes and others that don't have the "standard" 700c x 23mm wheel.

All that is wonderful and great and the drafting feature is cool and I pedaled a lot of miles into that program...at least for me. The problem I have/had has nothing to do with the program...it's the level at which I ride, or rather CAN'T ride anymore. In my younger days (late 20's/and through my 30's) I was maintaining a constant 20 MPH pace...EASILY. Now I'm lucky to maintain 15 MPH and I was getting passed by everyone because I'm sure the majority of Zwift riders is pretty young and/or much more fit.

So it kinda discouraged me when I did a couple of group rides and wasn't able to keep up with the young bucks and does just due to age (late 50's now) and fitness level (or lack thereof). That's primarily why I joined the gym to cycle indoors and to boot, I can pass the time and watch part of a hockey game or an episode of something from Netflix, Prime, etc. on the iPad while doing so. And to be honest, Zwift was kind of a pain in the ass without a Smart Trainer because you have to "trick" the program with too much shifting when going up/down hills. I'm sure it would be much more enjoyable with a "Smart" trainer, which I might consider in the future.

This was a waaaaaaaay longer diatribe than I intended, but had to speak my opinion on the subject...my apologies.

Largefarva...if you logged 29,000 miles, I APPLAUD your great achievement!!! WOW!! Eek

MaThGr82...if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. As described above, I had to do the USB cable setup, but it was pretty easy. Just make sure your sensors and ANT+ dongle are compatible with each other.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I wrecked my zwifter at Zwiftweek doing stunts so I probably won’t be able to make it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I figured there would be more than just 3 or 4.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Valpo Fz:

Valor, any ideas for a decent yet inexpensive smart trainer?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:

Wahoo often has refurb Kickr and Kickr Snaps on their website. The Snaps are cheaper by a good margin. We have one here and it’s a pretty good trainer....works well over ant+ and Bluetooth.

Saris is another popular line up as well. They have quite a few options, and they’re all built in Wisconsin as a bonus. I believe they have refurb sales too.

Check out dcrainmaker.com for tons of reviews and buying guides. TONS of info on his site.

Posts: 684 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cooger:
quote:

I used a BKool Pro for a few years before upgrading. This trainer has stood up for many thousand miles. They can be purchased online for under $600.00 new or you can find a used unit.

I have a used unit that I purchased new in 2014 I would sell, but I fear shipping would be expensive.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I just use a dustmop

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Yeah...but does it have AI interface??? Razz