SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windshield grime (exterior)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield grime (exterior) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
What kind of car is it?

2014 Prius.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
are you sure it's not on the inside?

Stoners glass cleaner has cleaned any auto glass I've used it on without issue.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Careful with Rain X as it can ruin paint if you spill drops of it on the hood. At least it did on my old VW.

Posts: 26894 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As usual, lots of good suggestions that I haven’t found elsewhere.

It’s definitely on the outside. I’d call it more of a micro–etching than a haze. Under normal conditions the glass is clear.

I’d bet driving around L.A. with all The particulates in the air has something to do with it.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
What kind of car is it?
2014 Prius.
What color is it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
How many of y'all remember Glass Wax? Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is an old school product called Glass Wax that works wonders if you can find it

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. Being cheap as hell, and having 40 gallons of kerosene, I used kerosene. Wash thoroughly, dampen a rag with kerosene, wipe down the glass, then wash thoroughly again.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work well for cutting through the film. Follow up with a good glass cleaner like Stoners. Divide the windshield in half. Do one side at a time. Start at the edges & around the rear view mirror working towards the center of the half you're working in. A waffle weave microfiber towel works great. You may need to use 2-3 if there is a heavy buildup.
The off gassing of the vinyl contributes to the film. Armor All also tends to make it worse.
I've had good luck with Griots Garage Fine Glass polish using a DA Orbital and a window buffing pad to correct exterior window issues.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Also, if you are using Rain-X or similar products, they can create a film that will cause wiper chatter and the glare that you are experiencing. When I stopped using Rain-X and gave the windshield a thorough cleaning my chatter and glare problems went away.

Encountered the same issue.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
quote:
What kind of car is it?

2014 Prius.

Ah-ha, Toyota. I thought it might be. Toyotas (I have one) have some kind of problem with the window seal. They leach some kind of substance that builds up on the windshield. I have that problem. Not sure how to address, as I just tend to ignore it.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Invisible glass is the only regular cleaner.

Right now, clay bar the glass.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:

Invisable Glass is some amazing stuff. I also got the cleaning wand with the replaceable/reusable pads. You will not be sorry.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
How many of y'all remember Glass Wax? Smile

Every Christmas our windows became a Winter Wonder Land! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njb0z0DXtnM

Now available at your local TrueValue. Not the original pink can but, hey, precious few things stay the same.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:

Invisable Glass is some amazing stuff. I also got the cleaning wand with the replaceable/reusable pads. You will not be sorry.

Did this yesterday as a first attempt as it seemed like a pretty mild approach. Next rain I'll see how it does.