SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windshield grime (exterior)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield grime (exterior) Login/Join 
posted
Not tar or bugs, but an indestructible film you can only see at night with headlight glare or when it rains. I’ve done a lot of searching online and there doesn’t seem to be a true consensus on dealing with it.

I’d like to avoid using steel wool or a razor blade. Eek

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is the glass?

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
How old is the glass?

-----------------------

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Not sure what it is. Usually I just clean the inside and it's all good again. Haze builds up quickly on the inside. Unless the glass is so weathered that it's basically like having been sandblasted over time. For that, I was going to try Flitz. Been using that with good result on my headlamps.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
You can clay your windshield. I have read that Barkeepers friend works on glass. I've use barkeepers on on steel and other surfaces. Check you windshield wipers perhaps

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I would try a clay bar. I've used it before on my windshield. Gets stuff that does not want to come off with a normal wash.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
For a few bucks, go to the hardware store, or home depot or lowes paint department and buy a small container of DENATURED ALCOHOL. Use clean white old tee shirt or old white towel to clean the glass. Don't smoke around it and keep it off the paint. Might as well read the label. It's very flammable, you can use it in an alcohol stove.

I've used this before and was very happy with the results.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's quite possible it is on the inside. Some glass cleaners always leave a haze (like windex).

Polish the outside with Imar glass polish. This stuff is specifically designed for windows and will make them look like brand new again, and take off anything attached to them (no matter the age), we use it in the yachting industry on windows that cost $2,000-20,000 each. A little bit goes a long way

ttps://www.amazon.com/IMAR-Professional-Grade-Glass-Polish/dp/B00P1JJSWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504752269&sr=8-1&keywords=IMAR+glass+polish

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
The glass needs to be polished. I use Aquatech water spot remover. Follow up with Rain X.
e mail me if you like for details. I do this for all my vehicles and for the boat that I run....

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
what Jimmy said...

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If you have 15 min to burn...

https://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wipe down the windshield with a dry/clean microfiber rag. Then with a new clean microfiber rag wipe clean the dishsoap and water. With a new clean microfiber rag, window cleaner.

Then clay bar the windshield with the soapy water and clay bar. Dry window and then reclean with window cleaner.

After I get it streak free, and clean I buff on RainX. This will super clean the windshield and keep it clean and clear for sometime.

I also do the same on the inside. It will almost look like there is nothing there.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bon-Ami Original Formula. This is the stuff Corning recommended for their Corning Ware glass product line.

I doubt they'd have it where you shop. I get it from my ACE Hardware Store. Takes them a couple of days to order it in.

If you decide to use it, make damn sure it's the red label original formula. Don't use AJAX or COMET or god knows what else. This stuff is designed for glass.

http://www.acehardware.com/pro...p?productId=18259916

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, if you are using Rain-X or similar products, they can create a film that will cause wiper chatter and the glare that you are experiencing. When I stopped using Rain-X and gave the windshield a thorough cleaning my chatter and glare problems went away.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I used to see mechanics using Soft Scrub.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I used to see mechanics using Soft Scrub.

Bruce

Too harsh.....It could put micro scratches in the windshield......the IMAR stuff works excellent is easy to use and less than $20.....it's made ONLY for windows.....You just buff it on lightly like car wax and wipe it off with a clean towel....you can see the rain etching as you are rubbing it on (it makes it much more visible) and then watch as it disappears with a few swipes.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
If you have 15 min to burn...

https://youtu.be/q4WwOrkgXlc
^^^Larry is the man. I've learned a bunch from him over the past few years. The real key is using 'IPA' (Isopropyl Alcohol) on both the inside and outside of the windshield to cut through everything that's on it. Use a large towel over the dash and steering wheel to protect them from IPA because it will cut through protectants, and can discolor vinyl and leather. It will also remove wax from paint, so keep it off painted surfaces as well. When the windshield is super clean, then you can treat it (many options).

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bon-Ami Original Formula.

this is my go to also. You do need to rinse very well. Oh, and be sure to clean the edges of your wiper blades as well.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
What kind of car is it?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16343 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'Spray-away' window cleaner (blue can -has alcohol in it). Windex/other cleaners leave the film behind.
I use the same polish & wax that I use on the rest of the paint. lasts longer than rain-x & I don't have to keep something special around. Use clean rags (microfiber) to buff it & you will have a clean window for a long time.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post