SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice on a Roomba
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice on a Roomba Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Or if there is another brand out there that is better. Wife's birthday coming up and she asked for a GOOD Roomba. I don't know much of anything about these things other than to know that they can run several hundred bucks which is fine if it's a decent and reliable piece of equipment. Our floors are all wood laminate with rugs placed where needed and to keep the floor warmer.

Also what's the learning process with these things do they need to slam into walls for a week before they learn the floor layout of the house? Confused So any input is much appreciated.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If any of your rugs have fringe your Roomba may have trouble dealing with it. Ours did. Frown

Maybe they have improved.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The GOOD Roomba is more like $600. You can spend more.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
We've got one that the kids gave us for Christmas. Not sure if it is a "good one" as I would bet the kids didn't have that kind of money! LOL

Ours is a model 690, and we just use it on our lower level living area, and it does a pretty good job. It will run for 30 minutes or more on a charge, and typical fills up its little basket. It is factory programmed to return to its base when it needs a recharge and ours would if we didn't have the base in a tight spot that has a rug and hardwood floor to navigate right at the base location. That transition throws off its aim.

We have been happy with it and it came with one little sensor that we set at the dog's food and water bowl. The sensor tells it to turn away, and keeps it from banging into the bowls and making a mess. You can buy more sensors if you want, such as if you want to keep it from falling down the stairs, etc.

It really comes in handy to go under the beds and other furniture to clear out the ghost turds. It also transitions across the rugs well, and ours doesn't have trouble with the fringe. We are glad to have it.

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I will report back with the model numbers we have. One is awesome and the other is kinda dumb, gets stuck in odd places, seems to get lost and is harder to keep clean

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
New models work well, are easy maintenance and empty themselves. If you have a pet, see photo....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
New models work well, are easy maintenance and empty themselves. If you have a pet, see photo....

No pets currently my old girl passed about a month ago thus the wife thinks the Roomba is a good idea but I'm sure I will be entertaining thoughts on another shelter dog next spring.
Thanks for the responses thus far everyone but I'm thinking I would like to keep the budget around 3 to 4 hundred if possible.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8524 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
NEATO BOTVAC for the win.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Neato D7 that works really well, and we like being able to establish no-go areas through the app instead of needing IR boxes.

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 666 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
We started with the relatively inexpensive Eufy. It's not as 'smart' as the more expensive units but has has good battery life and does our 1900 s.f. well.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S as well.
Highly rated.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3141 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Novelty item if you ask me. To make one work and I mean really work. Your house would need to be set up specifically for it. And yes we have one.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
We have one but it is not the Roomba and wasn't all that expensive IIRC. Will dig up the brand/model and update. Works well.

Daughter has the same one and likes it.

"eufy Robovac 11S" I see it on Amazon for about $240.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sailor1911,

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
NEATO BOTVAC for the win.

Another recommend for the Neato.
Our model is discontinued, but it's the connected model that can be managed via phone app (Can also be done directly on the machine)

I believe the newer ones let you digitally set restricted areas. Ours came with a roll of magnetic strip that you stick down to restrict areas.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Interestingly this just popped up in my Youtube recommendations.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I just got through researching these things and finally made a purchase last week. I’d look at either Roomba or Neato. They seem to be the best. As far as models go, the more you pay, the better the performance. I originally bought the Roomba I7 and found it wasn’t “smart” enough or powerful enough. We have a German SHepherd and the idea was to reduce the three or four times vacuuming per week. The I7 struggled. I reluctantly shelled out for the S9 and have been using it for approximately one week. It is loads better. Acts “smarter”, has more suction...just an all around better vacuum. It maps your house after two or three runs and you can customize where you want it to go. Be prepared for the dirt bin to fill quickly as there isn’t much room for dirt, etc. The ultimate would be the S9 with its self emptying base. Customer service at Roomba is US based and has been great. Good Luck1

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Unless you have a space that is about 1500 sq. ft. spring for one that can remember where it’s been, recharge, and then go finish up.

Ours has to recharge 3 times in a job but covers all the space perfectly.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
Last but not least on advice:

If Momma wants a Roomba, best get her a Roomba!! LOL

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Tell her you must have a cat, shark costume, and a duck to own a Roomba.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post