SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    No Federal Charges for New York Policeman in 2014 Eric Garner death
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No Federal Charges for New York Policeman in 2014 Eric Garner death Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.usnews.com/news/us...rk-to-update-on-case

The New York police officer who put Eric Garner in a fatal chokehold during an attempted 2014 arrest, fueling the rise of the Black Lives Matter movement, will not face federal criminal charges, Brooklyn's top federal prosecutor said on Tuesday.

U.S. Attorney General William Barr made the ultimate call, siding with federal prosecutors in Brooklyn, who had not wanted to charge Pantaleo, over the department's civil rights division, which had wanted to bring charges

A New York grand jury in 2014 declined to charge Pantaleo, who has been assigned to desk duty since Garner's death and faced a disciplinary trial in May at New York City Police Department headquarters.

A departmental judge is due to make her recommendations to New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill, who will then ultimately decide whether to punish Pantaleo. He could lose vacation days or be fired.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As in so many cases, all Garner had to do was cooperate and not resist arrest. He would not have died that day.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NY will want their pound of flesh to appease the community, I’m afraid. Losing vacation days would be a godsend. At least the man would keep his job...few are called to do it!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
As in so many cases, all Garner had to do was cooperate and not resist arrest. He would not have died that day.
Bingo. Even my dog knows how to deal with authority figures better than these bottom feeders. So simple, yet so difficult for morons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The New York police officer who put Eric Garner in a fatal chokehold during an attempted 2014 arrest...

Fat, out of shape, lazy-fuck of a criminal dies of asthma attack while fighting Police.

But I guess the media just needs to shove that agenda and lies down people's throats.

Repeat the lie enough, and people will believe it.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8340 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Fat bastard's wife and daughter were paid 5.6 mil compliments of NYC Taxpayers!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/0...for-5-9-million.html

They were on NYC News saying they will appeal al the way to the supreme court. Somewhere there's a lawyer that will gladly take a huge chunk of their cash.
Sharpton, looking like cadaver, was supporting them....

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8353 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
That seems like a very curious reversal of the usual situation. Having the feds declining to proceed and the department desiring to ding their own guy is pretty messed up.

Posts: 7310 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have never resisted arrest or fought with a cop.

I have not died. Coonicidence?

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/0...for-5-9-million.html

They were on NYC News saying they will appeal all the way to the supreme court. Somewhere there's a lawyer that will gladly take a huge chunk of their cash.
Sharpton, looking like cadaver, was supporting them....

Appeal all the way to the Supreme Court??? There were NO Charges filed....No Federal Charges AND No State Charges! There's NOTHING to appeal! Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8879 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out how you scream "I CAN'T BREATH" a dozen times, without actually breathing.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
at, out of shape, lazy-fuck of a criminal dies of asthma attack while fighting Police.
Don't forget the previously diagnosed heart problems too.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
New York State cigarette laws killed Mr Garner.

Either pay the excessive (additional) taxes or get the man coming down on you.

Posts: 1801 | Location: Possum Kingdom, TX | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wouldn’t this eliminate the chance of civil suit? If so, NY removed the near absolute certainty that the family gets a payoff at Pantaleo’s expense.

As an aside, I’d be shocked to learn that a single penny remained from the payout.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maximus_flavius:
New York State cigarette laws killed Mr Garner.

Either pay the excessive (additional) taxes or get the man coming down on you.
Absurd. I loathe New York and their totalitarian approach to virtually everything, but all Garner had to do was comply. No one will ever win an altercation with the police on the sidewalk. Anyone with a functioning brain stem grasps that simple reality.

posted Hide Post
As has been stated, if Mr. Garner had simply complied, he would be alive today. Wasn't able to find the link, but read an article that this whole chain of events started with Mayor DeBlasio. He told the Commissioner to start making the illegal sale of looseys (cigarettes sold individually) an arrest priority because the city and state was loosing too much revenue. That filtered down the chain of command, resulting in the events that lead up to his death.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fed161,

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...arner-death-n2551894

New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill announced in the city on Monday that Officer Daniel Pantaleo has been fired

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

no justice here. Eric Garner was a huge man who resisted arrest.

Posts: 19572 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
And just as quickly, has announced that he will sue to get his job back.

https://patch.com/new-york/new...-his-job-back-lawyer

He was found not guilty of the death of Garner and was more or less enforcing a crackdown ordered by DeBlasshole, I'd say he has a pretty solid case. Regardless, I see the city paying him off to go away. They don't want him back on the force.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

He was found not guilty of the death of Garner and was more or less enforcing a crackdown ordered by DeBlasshole, I'd say he has a pretty solid case. Regardless, I see the city paying him off to go away. They don't want him back on the force.

I’m sure you’re right. I wonder if his suit to get the job back was a mistake. I wonder if it will preclude potential future employers from considering him because “He’s sue happy.”? Then again, I guess if the payoff is enough, it doesn’t matter...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
All this is good and well, but are we going to riot or not?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's not going to get his job back. This will be settled for a payout.

quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
I’m sure you’re right. I wonder if his suit to get the job back was a mistake. I wonder if it will preclude potential future employers from considering him because “He’s sue happy.”? Then again, I guess if the payoff is enough, it doesn’t matter...
Yeah, I think he'll get a nice payout and still be able to find a LE job in Bumblefuck, Nowhere.

But most big agencies would probably pass on him, lawsuit or no lawsuit, so he needs to get what he can when he can.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post