SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ham radio selection advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ham radio selection advice Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Chongo

If I can find my VX6R and the charger you can have it

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Chongo

If I can find my VX6R and the charger you can have it

I’d be glad to compensate you. That’s a heck of an offer.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
nhtagmember, email sent.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
At the risk of being flamed, I am going to toss out what seems to be the liver of the HT world... the venerable BaoFeng BF-F8HP.

Folks seem to either love it or hate it but no one can argue it isn’t affordable at $60 bucks and has a pretty decent feature set. Programming is easily done with the optional $8 cable and free software.

If you find hamming isn’t for you you haven’t risked much and if you decide you want more (I am currently all a flutter over the Yaesu FT-991a for a cool $1400) you haven't invested too much to move on.

I have had mine for a couple years now with no problems. At this point I am just a lurker but am taking my test in a couple weeks so I can actually transmit instead of just using it as a scanner and weather radio.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I am glad you bumped this for a couple reasons.... 1) How'd you end up chongo?

2) I have no license- I have heard all of the NOAA stations in my area on the BF I bought. I have no idea what else to use it for. How to find repeaters or scan for broadcasts or anything. I bought some accessories and cables as instructed on the AMRRON site. Basically, I carry it when we leave home just in case- just in case I miraculously learn it, I guess.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

BigNC, here's a link which should help you find the frequencies of repeaters in your area.

Here's a video which describes how to use a similar reference.

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
^^^^

BigNC, here's a .....reference.

Thanks. I am so basic, I need to go back and see what bands I am/ should be trying to listen in on. I even bought the programming cable stuff and have no idea what it means.

I did plug in my city/ county and found NO Repeaters on that list. I guess that would be a problem for a handheld, right? I need someone to have picked up a signal and repeat it to reach me?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
^^^^

BigNC, the most traffic is probably on the 146 mHz (2 meters) and 440 mHz (70 cm) bands. As to the programming cable, when used with the associated software, that allows you to take pre-determined frequencies which you have found to be active and interesting and program them into your radio. Once programmed in, you need only switch between your preferred frequencies instead of tuning through the entire band.
Otherwise, you have to manually program them in by following instructions specific to the make and model of your radio.

If you are in Leon County, you might try the following frequencies:

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bought more Hts than I have fingers. Presently I have a VX-2R, TH-F6A, FT-60R.
The TH-F6A is a fine radio, and my very first radio. It’s 14 years old and still works on the original battery.
Knowing what I know now I’d get the FT-60R, it’s bullet proof and easy to program.

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:

Flashlights, guns AND ham? You are one cool cat (also.) LOL

I am East of Tally but will try those when I am nearby. Probably some of the surrounding freqs when in other areas. I may should have those in my Comm's instructions in my bag anyway!

Thanks!