SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Unclaimed property- you might have some.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unclaimed property- you might have some. Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I don't recall if this subject has been discussed here before, but regardless a periodic reminder is a good thing.

Louisiana, like many or most states, holds unclaimed property. Google "your state" with "unclaimed property", and you'll likely find your state's department that handles this. You can search your name to see if anything is there. Here is a link to Louisiana's site, for example:

https://louisiana.findyourunclaimedproperty.com/

Unclaimed property can be small amounts or decent sized-anything from utility deposits that weren't claimed to uncashed checks. Companies are required to pay these amounts to the states, which hold the funds waiting for you to one day claim them.

It's pretty painless, and I recommend that you check every few years to see if there is anything there for you.

Lastly, I want to emphasize that I am talking about your state's official department that handles these things. I'm not talking about any site, or services, that offer to find money for you for a fee. I don't know anything about those. On Louisiana's site there is some info about other resources, and they have a link to a nationwide search. I suppose that means that it's a legit thing, but I can't personally vouch for it. I feel safe dealing with Louisiana's official website.

Good luck!

EDITED TO ADD:

Don't forget to check under any business name that you were involved with. Also, I see lots of money for attorneys, and I imagine that may be true for other professionals as well.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Whackyland has that.

https://ucpi.sco.ca.gov/UCP/

I’ve used it for several clients. Old bank accounts, safe deposit boxes, escrow funds, utility refunds, etc.

Authenticating your identity is fairly rigorous, but if you are really you, not impossible.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I found $7,000 for my sister.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
Texas has it https://claimittexas.org

Couldn’t find anything for me or my family.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
My brother and I found $700 in NC that was owned to my dad.

However, after doing all of the astounding things you had to do to establish your identity and your right to the funds, I discovered the real pain...

In order to get them to issue a check, we have to open the estate of my dad who passed away 29 years ago. Once you open the estate you have to get a couple of forms completed. Not only do neither one of us live in that state right now, but we also have to do all of it in person. (Perhaps POA for one of us).
To travel down there/back would likely cost more than $700 so we're planning on doing it next time we're in town. They don't make it easy-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I just did it through the Texas Comptroller's office--will get $559.74 in a few days! The claim process was fairly simple and all done on-line.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes the hoops you have to jump through to get money from the state government. It makes you wonder if the decision makers go to seminars on how to hold onto the money forever by creating an incredible bureaucracy that only the intelligent can follow.

The latest in my state has to do with turning in your license plate after you have sold the car. After standing in line for about an hour you produce your plate and then are given a sheet of paper with the amount of the credit owed. The credit can only be redeemed when you purchase another vehicle and a new plate. Considering that Mississippi taxes vehicles at a very high rate we are often talking about several hundred dollars. My insurance agent joked that half of the people given credit lose the form.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My Dad's name popped up in his state. Sent him a link.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23219 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Cool found $180 for my wife, $70 for my dad, and $15 for the MIL. Did the claim for wife, see what happens. Dad thinks it's a scam so he didn't go for it, even though it's through ca.gov

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2440 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
After a protracted effort over the past couple of years, my bride was able to get $13,000 in oil royalties held in escrow by the state of Oklahoma. They belonged to her grandfather, who died in 1968. Oklahoma made it so difficult she very nearly gave up.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be damned. After reading this thread checked for my bride and I and lo and behold she has $100 in a money order never cashed from when she was a teenager. State of Arkansas claim form was fairly easy, we'll see how hard it is to get the cash.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
Texas has it https://claimittexas.org

Couldn’t find anything for me or my family.

I checked this a couple of weeks ago and had an almost $150 waiting for me from when we changed auto insurance providers in 2014.

That’s not much but it’s $150 that can go toward ammo or something.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've recovered a few hundred dollars. It's amazing what you forget.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I'm glad some of you guys are finding it worthwhile! It's definitely worth checking out.

For those who have commented about the hoops you have to jump through, I'm sure that's true for some, and better or worse depending on the state or the situation. It's still worth looking at and finding out what's out there. Then you can make an intelligent decision if it's worth jumping through the hoops to get it.

I do think that some of the issues with inherited property, or unclaimed property of ancestors, may not be too bad to claim if the amount is small. A lot of places now with let you do smaller things with just affidavits, etc., versus having to actually open an estate and do a full succession proceeding.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
https://www.missingmoney.com

pretty sure this one checks pretty much every state for you.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Just found one for my uncle that says clearing house cash. They could be interesting.

Posts: 6345 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I did it in Florida a couple of years ago. I got 700 samoleans for my trouble. An old E trade account had it in the cash reserve.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Dunno about other states but here's what made NC lost funds claiming challenging for us-

After I submitted the initial claim. I then had to send per NC's requirements:
-Completed Claim form(s) to NC Dept of State Treasurer
-Certificate of dad's death (funds were in my dad's name)
-Proof I was executor of his estate
-Proof of his residence for the address stated on funds found (this was for two places as he had moved- VERY challenging as he passed away 29+ years ago. A small miracle was finding a few bills and titles listing the other address)
-Certificate of death for my mom
-Proof I was executor of her estate

AFTER ALL THAT...
Then they sent me back a letter saying I had to reopen dad's estate (again, he passed over 29 years ago) and have the Wilmington NC judge/probate court generate a letter stating how the discovered funds were to be divided between my brother and I.

Still haven't been able to get down there during a weekday to do this. Neither of us were living in NC.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
https://www.missingmoney.com

pretty sure this one checks pretty much every state for you.

I got a hit on that one from an old address in NJ. Let's see what it is!

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I checked last year and ended up $9000.00 ahead. It was an old account of my Dad's that we missed when he passed away. Certainly pays to check!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post