SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Prius Hits Bobcat and Bobcat Survives
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prius Hits Bobcat and Bobcat Survives Login/Join 
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted
Bobcat survives being struck by car and traveling more than 50 miles stuck to grille

A 40-pound wild bobcat traveled more than 50 miles stuck to the grille of a car that hit her on a Virginia road.

The young bobcat suffered only a small scrape on her back after the harrowing ride on Thanksgiving morning.

“We just couldn’t believe it,” Richmond Animal Care and Rescue director Christie Chipps Peters told Fox News Monday. “It was so crazy. It’s just so great that it ended well.”

The woman who hit the animal knew she hit something after leaving her house in Gloucester County in eastern Virginia. She found out what it was an hour later when she reached her job at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.

Peters, who confirmed the bobcat was a female, responded to the scene with an animal control officer.

The woman who hit the animal was driving a Prius, WTVR reported.

“We got on scene and it really was true. It’s really a bobcat stuck in the front of a Prius grille,” Peters told the station. “When we walked by, (s)he hissed at us, so (s)he’s alive and may be OK, which was so crazy since (the woman) drove from Gloucester to VCU.”

The bobcat was freed after being sedated.

Peters said the bobcat was taken to the Wildlife Center of Virginia in Waynesboro and eventually will be released back into the wild near the crossroads where she was hit.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...Hr?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
So you hit a 40lb bob cat and just keep going? Could have just as easily been a 3 year old kid. And she has a job in higher education. Nice.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8531 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kills me is she said she knew she hit something but didn't stop to check what it was until she got to her destination. What if this was a person? People can be idiots. I hope/wish they charge with something but I doubt it.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You missed the part that she was driving a Prius! Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
See, Prius (Priuii?) are more environmentally friendly!

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy the bobcat survived. But for the grace of God that could have been me riding in her front valance.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
I have a totally different take on this story. I think the bobcat was walking along and saw the car and said to itself, hell it's only a prius, I can take that sob. So the headline should be "Prius survives vicious bobcat attack.

Posts: 459 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:
When we walked by, (s)he hissed at us, so (s)he’s alive and may be OK.

Yeah, I’d bet she’s hissed, probably would have done more than hissed if she could’ve gotten loose! There’s an awful lot of stupid in this story.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Prius> Idiot woman. Yeah. That matches up.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Well, we all know that Bobcats are the toughest critters out there, right snwghst? Wink

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
What kills me is she said she knew she hit something but didn't stop to check what it was until she got to her destination.

That was my first thought, too.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Well, we all know that Bobcats are the toughest critters out there, right snwghst? Wink

After seeing pics like this, I'm inclined to agree.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'd give that prize to the MFer who pried that cat out of the grille!

Posts: 6469 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got it out of the grill AFTER it was sedated, so no award!

I have one customer that has trophy Bobcat in his living room, beautiful cat, so soft and friendly looking.

I also have another customer the has a Maine Coon Cat that is near the size of a Bobcat, big old friendly lover!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I was half expecting to see a skid steer.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few of my FB friends from when i was stationed in Gloucester va actually know the woman this happened to, its amazing the bobcat lived lol

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
http://www.whsv.com/content/ne...enter-460611143.html

At least the bobcat is in good hands at the VA Wildlife Center. Mr. Clark started the operation in his garage a long time ago and then DuPont donated land for the present facility in 1995.

They expanded their facility to take care of the bear cubs several years ago. They got additional land for the facility from the National Forest which is behind the facility. The three pens are 1/2 acre each. One year they were taking care of 16 cubs while they only have 10 cubs this year.

https://www.wildlifecenter.org/black-bear-complex

Here is a presentation of the whole facility and the animals they treat and then release:

https://prezi.com/frohgsfguhnw...-center-of-virginia/

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
What kills me is she said she knew she hit something but didn't stop to check what it was until she got to her destination.

That was my first thought, too.

That woman driving the Prius is a dumb bitch.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Looks like the bobcat has fully recovered and was released in New Kent County:

https://wtop.com/virginia/2018...life-center/slide/7/

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I have one customer that has trophy Bobcat in his living room, beautiful cat, so soft and friendly looking.

I've been around a trapped bobcat once. Having dealt with that, I can say I want no part of being around a live bobcat again. At all.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post