SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So the wife needs a new car, looking at the Focus RS
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So the wife needs a new car, looking at the Focus RS Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cmr076:
Focus RS is a badass car. I'm assuming based off her "must have's", the focus RS is for you haha. I fully support it. I've been toying with getting one, I can't get over the price though, for a focus.

This. Pushing $40K for a Focus. I mean, it's still a Focus for cryin out loud.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around here the dealers add $3000 to the sticker price for the RS.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:
Focus RS is a badass car. I'm assuming based off her "must have's", the focus RS is for you haha. I fully support it. I've been toying with getting one, I can't get over the price though, for a focus.

In body only. The interior, suspension, drive train, brakes, engine are NOT standard focus fare. The RS suspension is pretty freaken nice. Take a bit to look it up.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by petr:
Around here the dealers add $3000 to the sticker price for the RS.

I getting the same line at first. Push them a little and it drops down to just 1k over invoice.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bmeek
posted Hide Post
The Focus RS is an awesome car, but some reviews of it say it would be a bit of a rough ride for an everyday driver. I was looking at one but ultimately went with a Golf R. Heated seats, AWD, can be had with a stick or a great DSG. Love the car and can switch driving mode from comfort to race or a couple modes in between at the touch of a button. Super comfortable and so fun to drive. Either car may have issues in rural roads with low profile tires though. It drive me nuts that any time Ford dealers get a limited edition car, they always gouge over MSRP; Ford GT, Shelbys, etc.

Posts: 261 | Location: MD | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bmeek, That seems to be every dealer. The Golf R is about the same here. Dealers want a premium. I am focusing on cars with the color,rs2 package, alloy. and if i can get it the winter rim/tire combo. If not i can find some good wheels that will allow me to bump the profile up a bit for this area. Thankfully our roads are not that bad. if we were in henrico, or drove in henrico regularly i would probably run 18's all the time.

Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
What about a BMW 235?

I wish they made a boy racer delete package for the rs.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
bmeek, what was the price of your VW. I would have a hard time "not" buying a VW in this class just based on the bs of the last few years for them. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
What about a BMW 235?

I wish they made a boy racer delete package for the rs.

JUst double checked. I am not seeing any current inventory in manual. Which is a deal breaker for the wife. AWD being the deal breaker for me. Add to that, a non spec'ed out on seems to be hitting 57k, or almost 12to 15k more than the ford.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
another +1 for the GTI/DSG,
test drove one when I was in the market a few years ago,
excellent transmission, really liked the GTI (no R's in town to drive that were not used)

also test drove the AWD Coopers, and did not like them at all,

I was trading a 2010 Cooper S, ended up with a 2013 Cooper S, since the VW dealer could not get their act together (seems they are basically a bunch of morons that did not even know their own product)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Are the RS Focus built with better parts than the others? Based on what I've seen from people I know that have owned a Focus there's no way I'd spend my money on one, especially that much.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
quote:

In body only. The interior, suspension, drive train, brakes, engine are NOT standard focus fare. The RS suspension is pretty freaken nice. Take a bit to look it up.

Yeah, I did go look it up as a result of this thread and it does seem like a cool car. Kind of like the WRX version in the Subaru line. And trust me I'm not criticizing. I just have a mental block dropping $40K on a car sold as a Focus. Perhaps a bit better marketing would get me over the hump.

Then again all new vehicle prices make me kinda wanna puke.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Are the RS Focus built with better parts than the others? Based on what I've seen from people I know that have owned a Focus there's no way I'd spend my money on one, especially that much.

I'm in this camp. For the $$$(40k), I'd be looking elsewhere.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Test drive a Golf R if you haven't already.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont make the mistake of thinking of this as a focus with badging. Or even a high horsepower car like a mustang gt. It translate more to a M3/S4 type of car. It is made in a specific factory in germany. Really think of it more like an Alpina BMW, not a standard 3 series.

Motor trends review.
http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/focus-rs
http://www.caranddriver.com/co...lf-r-comparison-test
http://www.motortrend.com/cars...s-first-test-review/
http://www.roadandtrack.com/ne...nthusiasts-hope-for/
http://www.roadandtrack.com/ca...focus-rs-hard-labor/

posted Hide Post
Those that are saying to look into BMW, did y'all see ABC World News yesterday? Apparently some are going up in flames even after sitting for hours turned off. I'd hold off on buying one for a bit. I understand that this is not a common occurrence but wanted to pass on the word. It could save a life.

https://www.google.com/amp/abc...tory%3Fid%3D47335778
BMW has very strict supplier demands, even in their batteries, but when things go wrong they tend to point the finger in other directions.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can think of it any way you like but the reality is that it isn't much better than a regular Focus and probably much worse in a lot of ways for a normal commute.

Sure if you are going to make a track car out of it but then it would just become worse and worse as a daily driver.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
You can think of it any way you like but the reality is that it isn't much better than a regular Focus and probably much worse in a lot of ways for a normal commute.

Sure if you are going to make a track car out of it but then it would just become worse and worse as a daily driver.

Ah, thank you for the constructive criticism. Do you have an applicable replacement that is Manual,AWD, 40ish. Besides the golf r or subaru sti? Do you own and drive anything comparable?

Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
With the short amount of time considering your list - I would get the Focus.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWW4pDqKLNA

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Ah, thank you for the constructive criticism. Do you have an applicable replacement that is Manual,AWD, 40ish. Besides the golf r or subaru sti? Do you own and drive anything comparable?
The manual is going to be tougher and tougher all the time and most manufacturers are putting all their eggs in the CUV basket now with Lexus even claiming the sedan is now on the way out.

I love the Focus RS but also realize it wouldn't make much of a better daily driver than an ordinary Focus unless you live in a very specific area where you can actually take advantage of the handling advantage.

If I was a single guy the RS would probably be my daily driver because I don't mind the harsh ride that many have complained about.

All I'm saying is just because the bits are a great combination on paper make sure your wife likes the way it rides. I know I have put my own feeling towards a car for my wife because she is a "car girl" and she didn't like it much and got rid of it two years later.

Posts: 3909 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post