SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help choosing a home safe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help choosing a home safe Login/Join 
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted
Looking for advice on a medium sized home safe (maybe 2 cubic feet capacity) for some personal documents such as trust, wills, medical directives, POAs, other family docs such as birth certificates, passports, etc., some small jewelry, a camera or two. (Firearms are well secured otherwise).

Looking at fire and water resistant. Considering Sentry Safe 205 series but don't know much about them. Experience with Sentry? Other makes I should consider? Thanks for any help!!

Posts: 1986 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m interested as well. Maybe Frank the safe man will be by shortly. I have hardwood floors on a concrete slab and I’m pretty sure my wife would throw an epic fit if I drilled anchor holes in the floor even inside my closet. Alternative is a TL15 or TL30 rated safe that is maybe 24x36 or so but weighs 1,000-1500 pounds empty and not anchor it. My gun safe is anchored into the concrete in the garage.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just remember that a small safe is security against fire and flood and to physically and psychologically separate the important documents from the rest of the paperwork we shuffle around and lose.

Small safes take no time to open (saw some videos online of my small safe being opened in moments using a $15 magnet to pull a solenoid out of the way). My uncle had his house broken into and they just took the small safe and walked away with it.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Sturdy makes a very good safe.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/col...es/products/the-cube

Their safes are the real deal.
I would suggest ordering the manual dial lock.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Considering Sentry Safe 205 series but don't know much about them.

Sentry makes very affordable fire safes that live up to their claims. We see mostly good results from Sentry units that have been in fires.

Very little security and otherwise considered a disposable safe. So long as what you're keeping inside is not overly valuable or difficult to replace, it's an excellent choice.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Depends on the small safe. If you're talking something like a Gunvault product, yes.

Something like the the below, especially if well anchored to a solid structure (thinking concrete), not so much.

https://www.amazon.com/Compact...y-Safe/dp/B002ZOC6ME

quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Just remember that a small safe is security against fire and flood and to physically and psychologically separate your important documents from the rest of the paperwork we shuffle around and lose.

Small safes take no time to open (saw some videos online of my small safe being opened in moments using a $15 magnet to pull a solenoid out of the way). My uncle had his house broken into and they just took the small safe and walked away with it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you're just looking to secure documents and such, a bank safety deposit box might be a better option.

I keep such things in our safe, but the main reason I have this safe is for firearms. If I had no guns, I don't think I'd mess with a safe since unless you have a good one, bolted down you aren't really secured.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
personal documents such as trust, wills, medical directives, POAs

The items after this make sense, but these items belong in a safe deposit box if you really are concerned with them, IMHO. Copies or dupes in a little local safe perhaps, but one original somewhere secure from fire/flood/wind.

It's $50/year - cheap insurance.

In fact, I'd specifically NOT put them in a small safe since it would be too easy and tempting for someone to steal thinking the Crown Jewels are there, and your stuff is gone.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
The items after this make sense, but these items belong in a safe deposit box if you really are concerned with them, IMHO.

Only problem with that is that the person or persons who need them may not have access to them when needed.

I do agree with the safe creating an attractive box to a thief. If you only need fire protection a small two drawer fire file is a great option. It doesn't scream "steal me" like a safe does.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only problem with that is that the person or persons who need them may not have access to them when needed.

Agreed. There's no rule that you can only have one executed copy of the agreements/documents, and having two in two separate locations that more than one person has access to makes sense. One of the two being someone other than you/your spouse, in my case.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12406 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post