SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Illinois is broke: State faces over $15 billion in backlogged bills
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois is broke: State faces over $15 billion in backlogged bills Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SummersAtTheLake:
I know a general contractor out of northern Illinois and his company has been doing a bunch of work on new and expansion of public schools....heard yesterday that the State of Illinois owes his company almost 7 figures and can't pay.
The ripple effect of this states mismanagement and outright theft of funds is going to trickle down to a bunch of innocent people that worked hard all their life.

Friend should have seen that train coming.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hopefully that will serve as a teachable moment in life as to what happens when you GIVE crap away to people for generation after generation who neither earn it nor deserve it. Elementary, my dear Watson.....

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
So Governor Rauner is caving into the demorats demands and getting nothing in return. Brilliant. Roll Eyes

Got to tell wife we are taking a nice hit in disposable income so that demorats can feed their insatiable monster for a little while longer. Massive tax increase for corporations too. Yeah that will fix everything. Roll Eyes

Illinois is fast turning into Detroit at the state level. Yet Chicago is spending millions and millions on being a sanctuary city.

Rauner wants to run for governor again too. Roll Eyes Caving to the demorats agreeing to massive tax hikes for nothing in return is not my idea of good leadership. Like putting a band aid on a severed artery.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...sive-tax-hikes-works

"Total capitulation by Governor Bruce Rauner is in the works. The taxoholics wore him down.

In the emergency session, Rauner has agreed to hike the personal income tax rate to 4.95% from the current 3.75%. The corporate income tax rate will rise to 7% from the current 5.25% rate.

"Illinois failed to approve a budget today and thus heads into its third fiscal year without one.

A vote has been scheduled for Sunday."

For what? Nothing. Reforms are non-existent."

"Chicago schools will not get fixed. The hikes will not shore up pension plans.

Within one month of tax hikes, public unions will ask for more money. And people will leave the state. So will corporations.

Rauner pledged 44 reforms. He is 0-44 on his pledges.

The property tax freeze currently under debate has so many holes it is as useful as a bucket with no bottom.

Trading tax hikes for nothing is a horrible deal. Nonetheless, the taxohalics won again.

More business flight and human capital flight is the guaranteed outcome. Doing nothing at all would have been a far better outcome."

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the people should withhold all of their state taxes....every dime

what's the state going to do? arrest everyone? time to bring the state to its knees

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well tax hikes passed the house with 72 votes and 71 needed.

This part really pisses me off. They always have to increase fucking welfare with these tax increases.

"and increase the earned income tax credit for low-income families"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20170702-story.html

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
So Governor Rauner is caving into the demorats demands and getting nothing in return. Brilliant. Roll Eyes...

You have every reason to be grumpy. Roll Eyes

If past is prologue, two things will happen. If they estimate their tax rate increases will bring in say, an additional $5 Billion, they will spend an additional $6 Billion, the hole gets bigger, not smaller. Also, some of the more mobile taxpayers will move out, reducing the tax base. It's a one-two punch that will accelerate their road to bankruptcy.

But I have a plan. Looking at Obama's lifestyle in the past six months, he has many $millions to play with. Maybe they could tax some of his bootie (I wonder where it all came from?)

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:...."and increase the earned income tax credit for low-income families"...

A fellow I know once wrote "how do you prevent a safety net from becoming a hammock??

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
3 yrs, 5 mos, 29 days til I retire. Which is the amount of time I have to talk talk Mrs. M-11 into moving in 4 yrs.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This means more money for the Politicians to play Santa Clause for the Welfare and Illegals.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Higher personal and corporate taxes, last ones out of the State turnout the lights.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
We left IL a few years ago.
I miss my friends, the good food, and the fun. I do NOT miss the corruption, graft, and constant fleecing of the taxpayers!

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
We left IL a few years ago.
I miss my friends, the good food, and the fun. I do NOT miss the corruption, graft, and constant fleecing of the taxpayers!

We miss you too!

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
This means more money for the Politicians to play Santa Clause for the Welfare and Illegals.

Not yet. The senate may not pass it. Rauner has threatened to veto and probably will.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Originally posted by satch:

Not yet. The senate may not pass it. Rauner has threatened to veto and probably will.

We can only hope!!!

Can't get out of here fast enough Frown

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear the Senate passed it today, using a couple turn-coat RINO's, so now it's up to Rauner. I'm not holding my breath.

All they're trying to do is save the bond rating from Junk-status, then carry on as usual. As a guess, this would work, but I bet the lottery doesn't come back any time soon.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update, WGN says Rauner vetoed, Senate already voted to override, now it's the House's turn.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Rauner vetoed, Senate already voted to override, now it's the House's turn.

It's amazing how fast Democrats can swing into action when there are taxes to raise!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 23946 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
On Independence Day too... priceless.
Perhaps the 4th of July will be known as Dependence Day in Illinois. Roll Eyes

The tax hike and budget now head to the House, which also will have to vote to override Rauner for them to become law. But according to the Chicago Tribune, Democratic Speaker Michael Madigan said the House would not do so Tuesday, meaning the budget process will play out at least another day. The House is not scheduled to convene until 4:30 p.m., but attendance has been an issue as lawmakers had dispersed for the holiday. Still no surprises are expected:

"I think that the Senate vote is reflective of the vote in the House. I think it speaks to all the hard work that has been done by a bipartisan group in the legislature," Madigan told WICS-TV of Springfield after the vote. "My expectation is that the bills that the Senate just passed will become law and we will have taken a huge step toward correcting the financial imbalances of the state of Illinois."

Perhaps, although some have suggested that instead of hiking taxes, which will lead to a fresh exodus of taxpayers from both Chicago and Illinois (recall the Chicago population is already shrinking the most of any US city) what the budget should have done is slash spending. Of course, that is the last thing on the mind of legislators of one of America's biggest nanny states.

In fact, quite the opposite: the accompanying budget plan, which the Senate also quickly approved 39-14, would have the state spend a little more than $36 billion, about $4 billion more than it currently takes in from taxes. In other words, Illinois just "saved" itself from default but assuring it would end up with even more debt.

Going back to the vote, as the Tribune adds, the 36 votes in the Senate was the minimum needed both to pass and override a veto. There are 37 Democrats in the Senate, but two voted no. They are Sen. Julie Morrison of Deerfield, and Sen. Tom Cullerton of Villa Park. Both likely will face a tough re-election challenge. Sen. Bill Haine, D-Alton, who has been undergoing treatment for blood cancer since February, traveled to the Capitol to vote for the plan. The critical vote belonged to Republican Sen. Dale Righter of Mattoon, who noted the damage done to Eastern Illinois University in his district.

"Every dollar that we throw onto the backlog of bills is a dollar the next generation has to pay for even though we got to spend it," Righter said. "That's simply wrong, and that is the basis for which I support this."

So do today's last minute Senate fireworks mean no Illinois downgrade to junk is coming? It remains to be seen: the movement after years of dysfunction was enough to delay the state's credit rating from being cut to junk status by Wall Street ratings agencies Monday, though they warned that much rides on a final approval of the budget package. Even then, S&P Global Ratings warned that long-term damage has already been done.

"Even with a budget, however, it's likely that Illinois' finances would remain strained and vulnerable to unanticipated economic stress," the agency said. "In addition to having accumulated record amounts of payables, the state's university system has been deprived of state funding since January 2017. If a budget is enacted, the degree to which it closes the state's structural deficit, provides a pathway for addressing the backlog of unpaid bills, and its impact on cash flows, will be important factors in our review of its effect on Illinois' credit quality."

Meanwhile, on Monday Fitch called the weekend developments “concrete progress,” noting that it appears the legislature may have enough votes to override Rauner’s planned veto of the tax hike. S&P called the actions a “meaningful step.” Yields on the state’s 10-year debt have soared to 4.8 percent, 2.8 percentage points more than those of benchmark obligations. That’s the highest yield of all 22 states that Bloomberg tracks.

It would be the ultimate insult to Illinois if despite the last minute scramble, S&P were to do to the insolvent state what it did to the USA in August 2011, when despite the pleas of Obama, Geithner and the entire administration, it went ahead and did the unthinkable, when it downgraded the US from its vaunted AAA rating. In any case, it's only a matter of time before Illinois slides not only to Junk, but to Default as well...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/...rrides-governor-veto

-rduckwor

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
The biggest single problem in IL: Mike Madigan.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
On Independence Day too... priceless.
Perhaps the 4th of July will be known as Dependence Day in Illinois. Roll Eyes

Yeah no kidding.

But the demorats must reward those that keep them in power - the public unions and the welfare voters.