SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Big Shout-Out to Dave Truong (with a mea culpa)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Big Shout-Out to Dave Truong (with a mea culpa) Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
First of all---Dave, I apologize profusely for misspelling your name. That'll teach me not to type posts from my phone instead of a keyboard.

As we all know, one of the best things about SigForum is starting out exchanging ideas and experiences with fellow members and ending up feeling like you've been friends with them for years.

That's particularly important when we have to conduct business in an area where we have little or no expertise and need to find someone we can trust.

After my Dad died in March, I pulled decades of family memories out of his house. Among them were several sets of antique silverware, mostly from my Mom's side of the family. While there was a lot of silver plate, there was a fair amount of sterling silver knives, forks, and spoons that had meltdown value.

My wife and I weren't really interested in keeping it to use, and even though you can look on eBay and find a fair amount of it for sale, the market for it is pretty small and I wasn't big on taking a lot of time and effort going that route.

There are some local Dallas gold and silver dealers around, but I'd never so much as gone into any of the shops and had no idea whether I could trust any of them to give me a fair price.

So, I went to the person all of us on SigForum trust---Dave Truong.

I e-mailed him, explained what I had, and we agreed that selling it for the silver content only was the best route to go. He graciously sent me a shipping label to box up the sterling pieces and send them to him for appraisal.

He came back with what I felt was a very fair figure, and I called him to confirm and arrange for him to make the check out to my Dad's estate. There were some pieces I'd sent that were actually silver plate, and he arranged to send those to an organization that benefits Veterans.

The best part of the entire transaction was our phone conversation. We talked for a long time and hit it off immediately. As many of you already know, Dave's the real deal and is as personable and professional as you could imagine.

I know he'll make good use of my parents' legacy to create memorable jewelry items for his customers. Maybe something he makes for a Forum member will include a little part of my family history.

Thanks again, Dave!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: snoris,

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe something he makes for a Forum member will include a little part of my family history.

That would be very cool if it somehow worked out that way. He's working on something for me right now (not silver though). I have 100% confidence I'll be happy with it once I get it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave is 100% legit good dude.

I made a very stupid decision early in our marriage regarding my wife's engagement ring, & Dave helped me rectify that on our 25th anniversary.

All the positive feedback he receives here is well deserved.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
A Big Shout-Out to Dave Truing

"Truing",...."Truong".....whatever....

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
oh, now you've done it - you spelled his name wrong...if there is one thing that Dave hates, it spelling his last name wrong...

oh boy....

Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
David is one of the most polite, professional, and knowledgeable businessmen I have ever spoken with.

I would do business with him without hesitation.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Dave is superb to work with. His craftsmanship is impeccable.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Integrity, personable, more than fair.

If you have not met Dave you have missed out on meeting a genuinely nice professional.

Dave epitomizes...a truly rare combination of attributes these days.

Posts: 542 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Get a sterling Molon Labe Ring from Dave. Perhaps he could make you one from your own silver?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12773 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
We love the man.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Bump

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Dave's the man for all things jewelry and watches.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7507 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

...and a great friend. We look at David as family but we do not get together often enough. David and his family adopted my son when he lived in LA. Birthday party's, holiday's...David made sure my son was there and at home.

Posts: 12920 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:
Originally posted by apf383:

...and a great friend. We look at David as family but we do not get together often enough. David and his family adopted my son when he lived in LA. Birthday party's, holiday's...David made sure my son was there and at home.

Outstanding, and unsurprising. Smile

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the shout out my friends. Truing, Trying, Tripping...if we are friends, call me anything and I'll reply!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6010 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post