SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else been diagnosed with "vertigo"?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else been diagnosed with "vertigo"? Login/Join 
Picture of muddle_mann
posted
It's fine they give me anti-dizzy pills but I wanna know the *cause* behind it to make it go away not just address the symptoms...

PS: I had my first "attack" on Thanksgiving Day of 2016

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddle_mann,

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've had labyrinthitis twice and it causes severe vertigo and nausea. It's an inner ear disorder that is usually caused by excess water trapped in the inner ear. I was told both times the only thing I could do was to treat the symptoms and ride it out.

The second time it hit was while on the motorcycle travelling at 50-60 mph. I barely made it home before I collapsed. Scared the shit out of me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I got an episode last spring following an injection of local for a tooth extraction. I was miserable for a couple of days.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
My wife has it. They attribute it to Meniere's disease. She is being treated with 50mg of HCTZ daily.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Unfortunately there are many causes which is seemed to drag this out to almost a year for me and countless tests and exams by primary care physician and followed up by neurologists, otolaryngologists, and others who alphabet soup named specialty escapes me.

BPPV and Meniere's disease seemed to be the fall back diagnoses for my vertigo with the MDs seemingly disagreeing with each other Roll Eyes

The cause of my vertigo was identified by my dentist.

My dentist had been after me to have three wisdom teeth pulled because it was just a matter of time before they would start having issues and needing to come out. Taking them out when healthy meant an easier extraction and faster recovery. Because my wisdom teeth never bothered me, I never made the time.

Fast forward to being in my mid to late 30s and answering the only medical change since my last check up being vertigo. My dentist, who grew up across the street and has been a life long friend, told me that the body starts to dissolve wisdom teeth and the exit from the body can inflame the nerves that connect the ear and the brain. Vertigo can be a symptom even with no other indication that the wisdom teeth are the cause.

My vertigo hasn't returned since having all three wisdom teeth pulled out.

If you have your wisdom teeth, talk with your dentist. If they need to come out now ~ or if they will need to come out in the future you have nothing to loose by getting them yanked soon and hoping this might be the cause of your vertigo. Make sure the oral surgeon who pulls them knows about your vertigo.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had it once, same thing prescribed the pills for dizziness. I have allergy issues and I had fluid built up.
Switched from Allegra to Zyrtec and it cleared up.

I thought I was having a stroke, I stood up from my desk at work and the world started spinning.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Headhunter
Picture of SPSHOOTER
posted Hide Post
A couple of questions. Do you know what type of vertigo you were diagnosed with? I have had BPV (benign positional vertigo) several time and as recently as 3 weeks ago. I have had it 3 times and each time self treat with the Epley Maneuver. BPV is mostly occurs in older individuals and is easily self treatable with the Epley Maneuver with no drugs needed. How old are you?

BPV - http://www.mayoclinic.org/dise...inition/con-20028216

Epley - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S4CbuN6QA

Works for me. Good Luck.

SPSHOOTER

Posts: 1513 | Location: San Diego | Registered: March 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I had a bout a few years ago which took me to the emergency room in the middle of the night because I would throw up if I moved even a little bit. It was an inner ear issue. The pills for dizziness helped a little and I was well enough a week later to go on a long scheduled cruise without any problems.

I had another episode about 18 months ago. The pills didn't help this time, and it took two months before I felt relatively normal again, even with doing the exercises for vertigo. It was generally worse at night when I was in bed and early in the morning after rising. I'm a side sleeper and it was worse when sleeping on my right side, too.

After a few too many dizzy spells in bed, I bought a thick, extra firm pillow for side sleepers that keeps my head elevated better and my neck properly aligned. It cleared up almost completely as soon as I started using the new pillow, and I haven't had any significant issues since then.

Good luck.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2104 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPSHOOTER:
A couple of questions. Do you know what type of vertigo you were diagnosed with? I have had BPV (benign positional vertigo) several time and as recently as 3 weeks ago. I have had it 3 times and each time self treat with the Epley Maneuver. BPV is mostly occurs in older individuals and is easily self treatable with the Epley Maneuver with no drugs needed. How old are you?

BPV - http://www.mayoclinic.org/dise...inition/con-20028216

Epley - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4S4CbuN6QA

Not sure which one. I'll check the documents they gave me when I was sent home.

- Frank Castle

Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

Unfortunately there are many causes which is seemed to drag this out to almost a year for me and countless tests and exams by primary care physician and followed up by neurologists, otolaryngologists, and others who alphabet soup named specialty escapes me.

BPPV and Meniere's disease seemed to be the fall back diagnoses for my vertigo with the MDs seemingly disagreeing with each other Roll Eyes

The cause of my vertigo was identified by my dentist.

My dentist had been after me to have three wisdom teeth pulled because it was just a matter of time before they would start having issues and needing to come out. Taking them out when healthy meant an easier extraction and faster recovery. Because my wisdom teeth never bothered me, I never made the time.

Fast forward to being in my mid to late 30s and answering the only medical change since my last check up being vertigo. My dentist, who grew up across the street and has been a life long friend, told me that the body starts to dissolve wisdom teeth and the exit from the body can inflame the nerves that connect the ear and the brain. Vertigo can be a symptom even with no other indication that the wisdom teeth are the cause.

My vertigo hasn't returned since having all three wisdom teeth pulled out.

If you have your wisdom teeth, talk with your dentist. If they need to come out now ~ or if they will need to come out in the future you have nothing to loose by getting them yanked soon and hoping this might be the cause of your vertigo. Make sure the oral surgeon who pulls them knows about your vertigo.

Eeeeeekkkk. This could be me. I'm in my mid 40s and have not had my wisdom teeth out. I don't go to the dentist much, but when I did years ago he looked at my X-rays and mentioned my wisdom teeth. I told him they don't hurt and don't cause me any problems. He said if they aren't bothering me then don't worry about it. Perhaps that is coming back to haunt me...

- Frank Castle

parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
I've had it since Aug 20. The ER doc said BPPV. Epleys do nothing. Meclizine does nothing. My regular doc referred me to an ENT. Can't get in to see the ENT until the end of September. Right now I'm just trying to cope with it and hoping it'll go away on its own. I have constant pressure in my ears and they won't pop.

Posts: 8273 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had issues several years ago, ENT sent me to clinic here in Atlanta that specializes in these issues and tinnitis. Said they were going to retrain my brain. Cause is crystals in inner ear not staying in place. They teach exercises to work with it. Took six months of varying time between visits, and have to do the exercises at home, too, haven't had the problem since. Still do the exercises.

NRA Endowment Member
USAF 1958-1970
Master Instructor 1969-1970
Georgia Gun Owners Member

Posts: 237 | Location: Atlanta, GA, USA | Registered: February 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Had it about 3 months ago. Like Jimbo54 said, it's usually water in the inner ear. I was prescribed an oral steroid that I used for about a week and then got better.

The worst few days for me I shouldn't have been at work but I went. Looking back, I should have went to the doctor sooner and taken a few days off of work. Hopefully you feel better soon muddle_mann.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I've dealt with BPV for years. Spent the first two years fighting it and getting maneuvers done weekly. Eventually decided to just live with it and have adjusted my life around it.

Once in awhile I'll wake up with a really bad bout and can't get myself together enough to make it to work. That only happens two three times a year. Otherwise I just deal with it.

I have to move slowly whenever changing positions so I can catch myself and sit down when the room starts spinning. I have to sit for 30 minutes on the edge of my bed each morning to let the room stop spinning enough to be able to walk without falling over.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I treated two patients with Meniere's Disease. One person developed it after working at desk directly under an AC vent, she was always cold. She first noticed flu like symptoms, then Meriere's came on and she could not work. Could not get out of bed for two days at a time. This woman recovered 100% using alternative health care practices that boost the body's overall health. However she had a couple of relapses that her MD suggested were caused by intake of red wine with preservatives. She switched to organic red wine, I treated her once more, and that was it. No relapse for 5 years now.

The other person had it for 12 years. He recovered 50%, enough to drive short distances, which was a huge plus for him. I suspect that there was nerve damage due to a long term infection.

I suspect, at least in these two cases, that the cause is a viral infection in the inner ear or in the nerves leading from the inner ear.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
muddle-man .
had it bad in 2011 - drove me nuts - spinning bed , vomiting , had a day off work - Went to You-tube and downloaded " Epleys Manouver ", did it twice - took all of 10 minutes - haven't had vertigo since 2011 . Caused by crystals floating around in the inner ear - medicine does not fix it - Epleys is merely to do with head positioning and has worked for everyone I have put on to it .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Mrs. BRL suffers regular attacks, every couple of weeks or so. She knows now that a trip to the chiropractor for a back/neck adjustmentstraightens that right out. Usually her C1

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had it as a kid. I had trouble going down stairs because I was getting dizzy.

I would lay in bed and I'd feel myself whirling in circles watching the ceiling go in circles first one way then the other way after some time.

I was made to eat raw green vegetables. yech.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My father and I both have BPV. He had it hit while serving in Kosovo. The pills do nothing for mine. I never know when it will hit so I pretty much stay away from 2 wheel rides. The Epley maneuver is about all that helps any. It's been over 5 years since my last episode.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine who was a 747 pilot for 2 decades ended up getting Vertigo and had to retire early.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post