SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shortwave/Multiband radios- your opinion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortwave/Multiband radios- your opinion Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I believe there may come a time when neither cellular connections nor the internet work for us. In a disaster extreme, I can see this happening quite easily, and this assumes you will even have power to run/charge your devices.
It may very well be that your only source of information and your connection to the outside world, is radio.

In my emergency bag, I keep a Grundig Mini 100, now no longer manufactured. Also, I have a larger and better made AM/FM/SW radio I bought from Radio Shack.
Catching radio signals drifting by your place, from half a world away is to me still after all these years, impressive, and it's all the more so when it's with a 20 dollar pocket radio running on a couple of AA batteries.

Both units will get the job done but both are manual tuning and subject to drift on weak signals, with the small Grundig being especially so.

I am looking at two radios, the first being the Sony ICF-SW7600GR, mainly because I've long wanted one. They are still made in Japan and I'll wager they're worth the 150 street price.
The other radio is in a lower price class, but I have heard that C. Crane radios are something special, and the CC Skywave`looks like a whole lot of radio for the money, about 90 dollars street price.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a very small radio with SW bands? I know Grundig makes some, but they are made in China. The build quality of my Grundig Mini 100 is, well, like a 20 dollar Chinese radio.

Again, this is for emergencies and recreational use. I don't mind paying for quality and I am open to all recommendations. Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107509 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The Sony is a winner. The C. Crane stuff always seems overpriced and over-marketed for what it is.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10909 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the Yaesu VX-3R. About the same price as the Sony you listed, and transmits on VHF/UHF. They are also made in Japan. I know slightly more than nothing about radios, and would appreciate opinions on it from members in the know.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my wife thinks I'm
in the bathroom!
posted Hide Post
I have the Sony. Excellent reception and sound quality with the long antenna. Good kit.

Posts: 7604 | Registered: October 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm with you. Most of what you see here can be run on batteries. The Sony ICF-SW77 I have is excellent as was an ICF-2010 I modded that was stolen Frown

The little Kaito KA1103 in the lower right is a darned nice inexpensive SW/AM/FM portable. The Kaito, Tescun, Degen radios are well worth a look (many are rebranded as CCrane models at higher prices).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the SWL(shortwave listening) world. I agree w/radioman on both of his comments.

The good thing about the Sony is that it is ssb capable. SSB will open a whole new dimension of signals. What sounded like unintelligible donald duck on a regular receiver can be tuned with ssb. SSB will open military, marine, long distance airline, HAM and many other communications. The literature doesn't say if the bands are broken or continuous sw. By that I mean continuous sw from 1.8-30 megs with out gaps. This range contains the frequencies that will "skip around the world so they can be picked up from over the horizon. Except for special conditions (ducting) Freqs higher than 30mhz tend to go straight out into space in a straight line without skipping making over the horizon listening impossible around the earth.

Of course the more you listen the more you can become addicted as I did in the 70s. A good "general coverage" receiver should have ssb plus continuous 1.8 to 30 megs tuning. Without ssb you will be limited to broadcast band stuff like BBC, Voice of Moscow etc. More money equals general coverage receivers that are more capable of of selectivity and pulling weak signals our of the hash. I enjoyed listening to military operations during desert storm, although most military stuff uses code words that tend to hide the real messages. A suprising number are "in the clear".

I suggest you google SWL for a list of frequencies. Grove Enterprises used to be a source for good info if they're still in business. Popular Communications was an informative magazine although I only see it in the large news stand displays in bookstores.

I got so interested that I eventually got a HAM license.

Shortwave general coverage receivers are found in a lot of HAM websites with a wide range of prices.

Have fun and if I can help, don't hesitate to ask.
Good luck

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I have been looking at the Yaesu VX-3R. About the same price as the Sony you listed, and transmits on VHF/UHF. They are also made in Japan. I know slightly more than nothing about radios, and would appreciate opinions on it from members in the know.

I don't have a VX-3R, but I do have a VX-170 I have had for years. It is probably a decent radio technically, but I hate it. It is far too complicated especially for an inexperienced or casual user. I have to carry the manual with the radio to be secure about using it. Turning it off and on, changing memory etc. is easy but the rest is a button mashing nightmare.

I've had a handheld since the first Yaesu synthesized ht ~35 years ago, and several Icoms. I also have a Baofeng UV-5R, I think it is. I don't use them much. Since I retired, I avoid loud mouthed pricks, and every time I turn one of them on, it seems like before long, at least one shows up. 2M is the vast wasteland these days.

[slight drift] maxdog, I owe you an apology. We need to get together and I have forgotten to get in touch. You will have mail, with my apologies!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Sony is good to go. Have had one for several years now.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20320 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the CountyComm GP-5 radio. I don't have one, but have been considering it. It seems it is the new hotness in ham circles. Portable, SSB, good reception, and cheaper than the Sony. Small, but depends on your definition of tiny, and quality.

Posts: 836 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Still have an older version of the Sony. Now, I'm inspired to dig it out. Haven't used it in years.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looked up Sony on ham sites. Lots of nice things said about radio.

Hey JAllen, got your message. Msg in route.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I'm interested in this thread also.

I have a ICF-SW77 and a Grundig Satellit 800. I like the Grundig and it has great output sound, but it isn't exactly a "portable" despite the title.

Something smaller, more sensitive and less battery hungry would be nice-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:
Take a look at the CountyComm GP-5 radio. I don't have one, but have been considering it. It seems it is the new hotness in ham circles. Portable, SSB, good reception, and cheaper than the Sony. Small, but depends on your definition of tiny, and quality.

That looks spiffy, all right, but when the manufacturer lists the modes as "AM, FM, SW, LSB, USB" it makes me nervous.

All of those modes I recognize except "SW". SW is not a mode. I can only imagine it stands for "shortwave."

I'd like to know more, but my money is staying in my jeans.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Tecsun PL-660

I bought it after emailing the owner of this site about the Sony, Skywave, and the PL660:

http://swling.com/blog/category/reviews/

quote:
Of the three receivers, I would go for the PL-660 if I could only have one. It's the best rounded in terms of performance and features. It'll run a long time on 4 AA cells.

For travel, I prefer the CC Skywave. It's a fantastic little receiver and has the most receiver bands (AM, FM, SW, NOAA and AIR). Very sensitive, too. No SSB mode, though. These radios have excellent receivers, but the PL-660 has the added benefit of SSB mode which would help you monitor ham radio activity in case of an emergency.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

"Bearmat Bearmat request permission to move one vehicle six personnel from tank ramp to range 500"

You will definently be the base station lol. On a more serious note I have often wondered about radios; I have become too complacent with cellular. When I was young I had a CB running off of a 12v lawnmower battery during hurricane Gloria in Boston in 1986. Good thread.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Shackelford:

That looks spiffy, all right, but when the manufacturer lists the modes as "AM, FM, SW, LSB, USB" it makes me nervous.

All of those modes I recognize except "SW". SW is not a mode. I can only imagine it stands for "shortwave."

I'd like to know more, but my money is staying in my jeans.

They mix bands and modes: AM FM LW AIR SW, USB LSB etc, it appears.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Para I seem to recall that you're in the Atlanta area? If so, you might peruse the website of HamRadioOutlet
Just search for "receivers".

They have a radio store in Atlanta. They do carry a good selection of radio receivers. I greatly prefer being able to see, touch and operate things in person before I buy them.

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We have an old ICF-2010 by Sony, still highly regarded.
Also have a smaller Tecsun, reviewed here:

Tecsun PL-660
The Tecsun PL-660 is currently one of the most popular portable shortwave radios on the market--and for good reason. The PL-660 has a full compliment of features and is quite easy to operate. The sync detector (selectable USB/LSB) is currently one of the best in the sub $150 US price range. Sensitivity and selectivity are both excellent. With the introduction of the Tecsun PL-880 on the market--a radio that may eventually replace the PL-660 as Tecsun's flagship portable--the PL-660 has also become more affordable and can be found at or near the $100 US price point with shipping. Here are a few of its specs:

AM/FM-stereo, Long Wave, Aircraft Band and Shortwave (1711-29999 KHz)
Single-sideband reception
Synchronous detection (USB/LSB selectable)
2000 programmable memory presets
Full-featured clock, sleep timer
ATS Auto Tune Storage
AC Adapter, wire indoor antenna line and case all included
We recommend purchasing the Tecsun PL-660 from Universal Radio.

Check Amazon.com for Tecsun PL-660 pricing.SWLing link

Posts: 18049 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
I have the Sony 7600 and it is a good radio and will not disappoint. The best very small radio ever made is the Sony SW100S. I have one and it is a jewel, unfortunately it is out of production. Used ones are occasionally available but are pricey.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
This:

http://www.radiolabs.com/produ...ers/ats-909x-mod.php

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post