SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hankerchiefs-anybody carry one?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hankerchiefs-anybody carry one? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
Not sure why I thought of this, but I remember my grandfather and father carried handkerchiefs. Not something I ever did. If I have a cold I'll make sure to carry a few Kleenex folded in my pocket, and if I need to use one I'll throw it away. I can't imagine blowing my nose into a handkerchief and continuing to carry it.

Anybody? Am I missing something? Other practical uses? Don't know if I'd wipe good sunglasses with one, but I'd probably use it on my cheapish readers.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Remember the quote from Robert De Niro in the movie “The Intern”: "A gentleman carries a handkerchief, not for himself, but in case a lady needs one."? It is an essential for every guys to be a gentleman.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I always used to, but stopped a few years ago....not sure why. I still have a stack of them in the closet.

And as above, I can think of two times where I let a lady friend use it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I carry the bandanna handkerchiefs. Have come in handy for others, occasional sweatband, sometines dew rag, makshift carry all, wet bleacher/seat dryer, absorbs blood, and can be emergency TP if needed. Many uses limited only by one's imagination.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If I'm hiking or doing outside chores, I'll occasionally stick a bandana in my pocket. Otherwise, no.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a properly used handkerchief controls a sneeze more effectively than sneezing into the bend in your arm. I always carry one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Gene Hillman,

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Way way back when I carried them. As kids we called them snot rags and for good reason. Converted to facial tissues many decades ago and never looked back.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
ah, no.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carried one most of my life. Launder right along with other white stuff like tshirts. Next time you have a sudden snot filled sneeze, you’ll be glad, especially if no Kleenex within reach. Better than a sleeve too. Good for cleaning glasses, but always use 100% cotten to prevent scratches.

Good for many needs that may arise such as small wounds, sweat etc.

Then of course, for the ladies.

When using in applications involving ladies, glasses cleaning etc. make sure you don’t use the one with the snot.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
My dad did, me absolutely not. Why would I carry around a rag full of boogers?

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I always have one on me.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Handkerchiefs used to be an essential item for the well dressed man. A fine linen handkerchief was also a useful prop to mop your brow while delivering an inspiring political or evangelical speech. MLK always had one handy as did the fire and brimstone preachers of the past. Jimmy Swaggert always had one available.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Bandana, always. Makeshift tourniquet as needed.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I did when I was working LEO and still do now that I am retired. Carry it not necessarily for the sneezing/nose work but it makes a quick/always on your person compress when you roll up to a car crash/shooting, etc.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I’ve carried one for close to 60 years. Don’t necessarily use it, but I carry it.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
At work, I would always fold up and keep about 20" of thick paper towel in my back pocket. great for sweat,dirt,nose etc. IMO, much more convenient as I can always throw it out and get a new one rather than deal with a wad of mess everyday.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I always carry one in my back pocket. I have a stack of them that I change out every day.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Yes, but it is not a booger vault. I perspire easily and just use it to dab manfully.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
bandana back in the day carried one but no way today... could be mistaken for "GANG COLORS" ...(especially the red or blue)......... drill sgt.

Posts: 1954 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've always had a white handkerchief in my front right pants pocket for various uses.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post