SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So A Friend Of Mine Got Mugged. .......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So A Friend Of Mine Got Mugged. ....... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
God Damn Motherfucker!!!!!! I can do nothing but make sure she made a police report and offer a place to crash if needed but GOD DAMN IT!!! I, I, honestly can’t say more than that. Why the hell must we live in this kind of world. Why do we allow this. Do you know how many times in my life I have thought “Geee you know what would be fun? How about assaulting some poor defenseless woman and stealing her shit. Maybe commit a random act of violence.” I’ll give you a hint it’s a negative number.

Stupid worthless, wastes of god damn air. I hope the mother fucker ends up a prison bitch and lives a LONG happy incarcerated life.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel helpless and angry.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I got mugged in DC in 1968 near 18th and M St. which was a good area at the time.

It was mid week and I had to work the next day so I went to my friends car and was seating in the passenger seat. I dozed off with the window down and the next thing I realized I was being hit in the head with a piece of pipe. I raised my arm to protect myself and got out of the car. The one individual had a gun pointed in my face and there were about a dozen others of ages 12 to 18?

I asked what have I done to you and why are you picking on me??? I think that confused him so I gave him the few dollars I had and walked away from the car.

Shortly there after, my friends arrived at the car and the floor mats were on the ground and they had ram sacked the glove box, etc. In the mean time, I got a ride back to my car in Great Falls by a passer by and went home.

About 3AM my friends called and were glad to hear my voice.

Then in 1977 after moving back from Santa Barbara, I hadn't learned my lesson and returned to the same place since they always had good bands and lots of women. Around 11PM I hear what sounds like a shot so I venture outside. Someone had robbed a person and when he didn't hand over the money, he was shot. In no time there were police everywhere and the guy got away in a cab but was caught as the cab driver jumped out further down the street when stuck in traffic.

Now today, there are places I do not go. There are white trash and druggies that have no value on life so when out in the woods, I keep my distance or step off the trail and let them pass.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Definitely sucks. Very sorry to hear this for your friend. Offer support, which I’m sure you are... not much else you can do. I was a victim of a violent attack *years* ago as well. Leaves you feeling very defenseless when you can’t protect yourself

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I hope she was not assaulted, physically or sexually. Try not to be angry in her presence. That won't help. Just be there for her.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
It is not your fault. Stop beating your self up over it.

Ultimately she is responsible for her own safety.

Help her out if she will let you. Stay clear if she won't.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That sucks.

I'd almost forgotten that it even happens anymore.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
At least it wasn’t a rape.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about your friend. Similar thing happened to me in the mid 70s in a restroom (of all places) on the Chicago Turnpike. Dude had a knife. I had a Model 19. I won.
Scared the shit out of me at the time. Hope she has no long term problems from the event.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16071 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
It is not your fault. Stop beating your self up over it.

Ultimately she is responsible for her own safety.

Help her out if she will let you. Stay clear if she won't.

My thoughts as well. I have tried to help two women that live alone but they do not understand how dangerous things can get.

One lives on the end of the development and has had the house broken into several times while the other one has a dog but it is caged at night so it would be of little help.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Rage is the only valid emotion you can feel for this so I don’t blame you. Low lifes are going to be low lifes.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’m not blaming myself or anybody else except the jacktard who did it. I am just pissed we live in a world and always have full of jackasses.

Hopefully Karma will catch up to him.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sorry this happened to your friend. Will this be a teachable moment for her? I've never been mugged, but shot at many times.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
My wife was robbed at gunpoint at our local grocery store parking lot by an illegal. She was victim 3 of 5 that day as we found out later. These three illegal cousins made their living robbing women and would drive south on I45 from Houston toward Galveston stopping to rob women. The lady that was robbed before my wife (victim #2) was in her 70’s and she fought to keep her purse. When we were at the line up to ID them she was all bruised up. Woman #5 that they attempted to rob that day pulled out her S&W revolver and as the guys took off she opened fire into their vehicle (which was stupid). When they caught these three losers they found their apartment full of purses they had stolen. Sometimes I sit in my car at that grocery store watching the old ladies go to their cars hoping I’ll see someone try to rob them. Nothing gets me going more than when the weak and defenseless are preyed upon. I know exactly how you feel.

Posts: 4101 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
In the early 1990's I was working where the GA Aquarium is now.
I was mugged twice there in front of the building for $3.
The second time I was ready. After I was slammed into the wall I balled up and as he was trying to get into my pockets, I punched him in the throat.
He instantly went down and I stumbled over him and beat the everlogingshit out of him.
Then I kicked him with my jump boots.
Took out my $3, tossed it on him and asked him if it was worth it now.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider advising her of the following, cslinger.

If there's a next time, tell her to engage the prick as much as possible in conversation. Reason is that if the prick replies back to her, he consciously recognizes her as a human being, and not merely a target. A non-human target, if you will. Making it psychologically more difficult for the prick to hurt her physically.

Of course if the prick is a full-blown psycho, all bets are off.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Been close a few times on the train. It felt like being hunted. The eyes tell a lot.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
In the early 1990's I was working where the GA Aquarium is now.
I was mugged twice there in front of the building for $3.
The second time I was ready. After I was slammed into the wall I balled up and as he was trying to get into my pockets, I punched him in the throat.
He instantly went down and I stumbled over him and beat the everlogingshit out of him.
Then I kicked him with my jump boots.
Took out my $3, tossed it on him and asked him if it was worth it now.

I wish they could all end this way. Cool
You should have thrown an extra $3 and said, "Same time tomorrow?"

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dirty predatory sonsabitches. I feel sympathy for you and your friend, but that is all I can do. Try to do what you can to prepare her for the future, is all the advice I have.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I wish they could all end this way. Cool
You should have thrown an extra $3 and said, "Same time tomorrow?"

I had a concussion and felt like throwing up.
After kicking him, I caught the attention of umm, others and had to leave.
But that would have been awesome.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
If there's a next time, tell her to engage the prick as much as possible in conversation. Reason is that if the prick replies back to her, he consciously recognizes her as a human being, and not merely a target. A non-human target, if you will. Making it psychologically more difficult for the prick to hurt her physically.

Huh.

I am not sure about the definition of mugged is persae in this thread. My own opinion of being assaulted is fight back with all you got.
I am not advocating that. Just saying that is how I would handle such a situation.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post