SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My turn for a Sous Vide Tenderloin plus my Roasted Veggies Recipe.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My turn for a Sous Vide Tenderloin plus my Roasted Veggies Recipe. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
EZ_B posted some pics of a yummy looking filet Mignon and got me hankering for a great steak. Safeway had butt end tenderloin on sale for $9.99 a pound. A little more work than just buying pre-cut steaks, a lot of fat and silver skin that needs to be removed. Ended up with four lovely steaks so we had two for the Caps game and two that will be dinner on Tuesday. All in all four very good sized steaks for $37 and 15 minutes of trimming/cutting.

Steaks were vacuum sealed with 1/2 pearl onion, two cloves smashed garlic, 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme, S&P, and a hint of adobo seasoning. Into the water at 131° F for two hours. Then removed, patted dry, more S&P and finally seared on the ol Smokey Joe for about three minutes per side.

These were some of the best cooked and seasoned steaks ever.

Passed quarter test.

Seared perfectly, little extra piece left from trimming roast was a nice snack while platting food.

Roasted cauliflower and Brussels sprouts (will post that recipe in a bit)

And finally the money shot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Man, that looks good!

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Steak looks great, but you and EZ_B have got to get some non serrated steak knives. It's a shame to tear up that meat with with a serrated knife just before it goes into your mouth.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Steak looks great, but you and EZ_B have got to get some non serrated steak knives. It's a shame to tear up that meat with with a serrated knife just before it goes into your mouth.

Why? Does using a serrated knife let the flavor out or something?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
HEB’s price right now..... $22.49/lb.

Guard those carefully!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Roasted Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts Recipe:

10 Pearl Onions
1/3-1/2 Head of Garlic
1/2 Head of Cauliflower
2 LBS Brussels Sprouts
1/4 C Cooked and chopped bacon
or real bacon bits
2-3oz Balsamic Vinegar
2-3oz Olive Oil
1/2tsp Paprika
1/2tsp Salt
1/2tsp Lawry's Season Salt
1/2tsp Pepper1
1/2tsp Fresh Thyme leaves removed from stems

Cut onions and larger pieces of garlic in half.

Cut Brussels sprouts in half and remove loose outer leaves. Cut/break cauliflower into hunks. In large Pyrex pan drizzle oil over the top of veggies. Apply seasoning across the top. Cover in plastic wrap and shake to coat everything oil and seasoning.

Remove plastic bake at 400° F for 45 min or so until it has a dark brown on the veggies. Stirring veggies once or twice. Remove pan add bacon and vinegar to veggies. Stir using vinegar to deglaze the pan and get yummy browned bits up. Put back in oven for ten minutes or so.

It should look like this when it's done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great!

Nice job Skins!

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Why? Does using a serrated knife let the flavor out or something?

Yup! The gnarled up meat leaks out juices faster. More broken tissue creates more paths for the juices to leak out. Also, the pressure from the fork stabbing and the back and forth sawing of the knife is squeezing precious succulence out. A sharp fine edge passes through with less disruption and less tissue damage, and preserves more of the capillary action that keeps the juices sucked up in there.

Also, food texture is important. Ground beef, even from the same cut, is different than a smooth piece of meat cut along the grain, and different than a piece of meat cut across the grain.

Do a side by side comparison, you'll see. Test with a sharp chef knife if you want.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
You know you're supposed to wrap those in bacon right? Big Grin
And thanks for veggie roast recipe. Looks awesome.

Posts: 7351 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We gave faux sous vide a try last week.
Used the crock pot & seared on the stove in a cast iron.

Now I'm going to be spending money on a real setup. Some of the best steaks I've had in a while, even if they were a little over done.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post