SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    snake first aid?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

snake first aid? Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted
For half a dozen years at least, I have had a garter snake living under/near my magnolia tree. He always skeedaddled when I cut the grass, and I was careful to let him avoid the mower. Today, for the first time in mt life, I paid somebody to cut my grass. Predictably, my little buddy got tagged. Two cuts, the worst perhaps an 1/8" deep on his belly. He is limp, but still alive. I'd like to do what I can to help him recover, but have no idea what that might be. Ideas? Snake phobes need not chime in.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
If possible, wounds should be washed with copious amounts of warm, soapy water, using an antibacterial soap. clean the wound with dilute povidone iodine solution, diluted to iced-tea color, flushing the wound several times, and then rinsing well with clean water. For superficial wounds, apply a light layer of antibiotic ointment and leave uncovered.

Main thing is to Keep it warm with some loose paper to hide in and make sure it has a small dish it can get water out of to drink

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please let us know if the little fella survives.....I'm curious. mike

Posts: 1272 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I found a protected spot for him. Last I looked, just before the sun went down, he is still not wiggling, but his tongue is active, and he raises his head to track me. Tomorrow morning, if he is still alive and hasn't headed for greener pastures, I will see if I can tend his wounds, and maybe see if he is interested in food, perhaps a little raw egg, and water. I have an old fish tank I can put into service as a terrarium, but it on the small side for long-term maintenance.

Posts: 6452 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kg5388
posted Hide Post
Wouldn’t worry about food but put him in the aquarium in a warm place or with a light bulb to warm it up. Put some paper strips for it to hide in. Warmth and water and a safe hiding place is what it needs now.
It will be more comfortable and more able to heal if it is not using all its body resources to stay warm

Posts: 1846 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I tip my hat to you sir. Good to help out the poor thing. Hope he makes it.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1375 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really a snake person, but I hope the little guy comes out well.

I do second the aquarium and light bulb. A little food and water couldn't hurt, and cleaning up the wound couldn't hurt.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
If he's limp, he likely has a severed spinal cord. If so, there is no recovery.

If he just appears injured, snakes are pretty tough. Betadine or some other antiseptic on the cut, and 90 degree heat and water will get him better.

As ubiquitous as garter snakes are, they are hard to keep. It's hard to get them to feed. Small, pinky sized mice would be good. You can get those in just about any pet store that sells feeder mice. As soon as he is up and moving, let him go where he lives.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If the snake is in the same place in the open for any length of time, it is likely that the spinal cord is indeed severed. It could have been broken by the force of the impact without the slice actually doing the severing- as if someone struck your spine with a blunt object. If it is mobile after an injury, it should instinctively go to ground and recover in hiding.

You should be able to diagnose it by touching the tip of the tail. If it doesn’t respond to the stimuli, it is most likely the case unfortunately. Good luck, as garters are good to have around.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My little buddy, I named him "Legs" for obvious reasons, was not in the sheltered spot by the house where I left him over night. I'm hoping he left under his own power, and will soon be busy managing the cricket population. I'll keep an eye out for him, but frankly, I don't expect to ever see Legs again.

Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
We found a young gopher snake trapped in a crack in the asphalt road the other day. He tried to double back and was trapped. It didn't help that a raven was taking advantage of his situation.

I got him out of the crack and moved it to the dirt and morning sun. He suffered two small punctures from the raven. Twenty minutes later it was gone. I'd like to think he moved away on his own.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
God luck to your buddy

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post