SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Missouri Senate Primary
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missouri Senate Primary Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted
Missouri Senate Primary

I'm in a quandary. I'm very involved, politically. I usually don't have this problem. I meet the candidates, and one usually stands out above the others. By this point in a campaign, I'm usually fully on board one train or the other.

Unfortunately, that hasn't happened in this race. I've been to the debate. I've met all of the candidates. One does not stand out clearly above the others.

There are 6 of them. I've narrowed it down to the 3 with a legitimate chance to win.

Josh Hawley
Tony Monetti
Austin Peterson

There are things I like about all three.

If it were this Senate race, it would be more clear:

Do any of you, especially Missouri residents, have any thoughts?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Pretty disappointed in Hawley.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Pretty disappointed in Hawley.

Same here. He is clearly the candidate to beat, but he has been coasting on other people's money. He's the Mitch McConnell Candidate. He has rejected the attention of the grass roots.

I could go into more detail about him sitting next to me at the St. Louis County Lincoln/Reagan dinner, and how he snubbed the Tesson Ferry Republicans, but I won't because I still might have to vote for him...

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
which one has the ability or the desire to do the LEAST amount of harm to the country?

Sometimes the best promise is to do nothing at all, rather than grandiose schemes

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
which one has the ability or the desire to do the LEAST amount of harm to the country?

That's an important point.
It would clearly be Austin Peterson, the former Libertarian candidate for President. He would be another Rand Paul. I'm just not sure Missouri would elect him. I'd rather have Josh Hawley than Claire McCaskill... though I may vote for Austin Peterson for the aforementioned reason.

-rduckwor

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not that I'm from Missouri or know anything about the state's politics, but wouldn't the odds of a failed Libertarian presidential candidate winning a statewide office be pretty low?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
wouldn't the odds of a failed Libertarian presidential candidate winning a statewide office be pretty low?

That's my concern... but he's very articulate, running as a Republican (not a Libertarian), he has raised a lot of money, and if it comes down to a one-on-one I think most Republicans would back him... kind of the reverse of John McCain.

-rduckwor

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Petersen was on one of the local radio programs a couple weeks ago and said there were three different campaigns being ran; 1. his via bus, 2. McCackle's via private plane, and 3. Hawley's hiding in a cave.

I am not impressed with Hawley but if he wins the primary, I will vote for him.........anyone but McCackle.

Another serious primary is the Democratic primary for St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney. It is Bob McCulloch vs. a Soros funded black activist who is currently on the Ferguson City Council. He of course is running on a progressive reform platform to reduce mass incarceration. The activist also has the Color Of Change PAC behind him. They want to change the rules of society. If he gets in, all law enforcement in St. Louis County will be dead (and fully expect that Darren Wilson will be indicted under a new grand jury), he will follow the Baltimore NON-Prosecutor, the Chicago NON-Prosecutor (Chicago Cops, has she ever issued issued warrants under the Felony Murder law????), and of course, St. Louis City NON-Prosecutor, Kim Gardner, who just this last week let two armed robbery suspects (pistol whipping robbery victim on Metro Link Platform, gun went off and killed another guy who was on the train pulling into station) plead to Involuntary Manslaughter charges, one got 8 years and the other got 12 years.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Bob McCulloch will win that. Have no fear. No worries.

-rduckwor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
There are 6 of them. I've narrowed it down to the 3 with a legitimate chance to win.

Josh Hawley
Tony Monetti
Austin Peterson

There are things I like about all three.

Geeze, I know Tony Monetti. I was stationed at Whiteman AFB from 1993-1996 doing aircrew scheduling, and he was one of the early B-2 pilots. You tend to remember the really personable guys. If I still lived in MO I would back him.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Would you mind emailing me privately about this?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Hawley is the clear front runner. I have to admit I don't know much about him but The dems are spending a ton of money already to defeat him. McCaskill has to go so it looks like he is the only one with the name recognition to beat her.

If we are not careful, we could end up with another Todd Akin.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we are not careful, we could end up with another Todd Akin.

A truly frightening prospect!

Posts: 7311 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Hawley is the real front runner, he is the anointed one by the Republicans in Jeff City and Mitch McConnell. He has a lot of baggage with Greitens and one of his donors, which McCackle's PAC is already running ads about. I can see more ads on Josh "Pass The Buck" Hawley. Though, at this point, I believe whomever wins the Republican primary can run on the platform of "Hi, I'm not Claire McCackle" and win. Big Grin

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ From your lips to God's ear. We'd all like to see her gone and would see her forced retirement as a personal favor to the rest of the country.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
I don't know if Hawley is the real front runner, he is the anointed one by the Republicans in Jeff City and Mitch McConnell. He has a lot of baggage with Greitens and one of his donors, which McCackle's PAC is already running ads about. I can see more ads on Josh "Pass The Buck" Hawley. Though, at this point, I believe whomever wins the Republican primary can run on the platform of "Hi, I'm not Claire McCackle" and win. Big Grin

Right you are.
My concern with Hawley is that he would be "establishment" all the way, beholden to Mitch McConnell from the get go.

-rduckwor

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I was polled today. I think the Josh Hawley people must be getting worried. Big Grin He's done nothing to connect with the grass roots. Meanwhile, Courtland Sykes, Tony Monetti and Austin Peterson seem to be everywhere....

Josh Hawley hopes to win this thing on TV advertising paid for by Mitch McConnell and his globalist cabal.

-rduckwor

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
To me the only one with name recognition is Josh Hawley. I really don't know much about any of the candidates and will be paying attention to this thread.

Now for a little drift...I'm tempted to get a democratic ticket so I can vote against Steve Stenger for St. Louis County Executive. Which of course would knock me out of voting for Josh.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm tempted to get a democratic ticket so I can vote against Steve Stenger for St. Louis County Executive.

Please don't... No one dislikes Steve Stenger more than I do... but be careful what you wish for. That's how we got rid of Charlie Dooley:

"Crossover" voting gave us Steve Stenger as St. Louis County Executive 4 years ago and now there is much talk of more "crossover" voting for his Democrat primary opponent to get rid of him. It's a mess.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8350030544

Paul Berry is our best shot at getting rid of Steve Stenger.

-rduckwor

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
Please don't... No one dislikes Steve Stenger more than I do... but be careful what you wish for. That's how we got rid of Charlie Dooley:

"Crossover" voting gave us Steve Stenger as St. Louis County Executive 4 years ago and now there is much talk of more "crossover" voting for his Democrat primary opponent to get rid of him. It's a mess.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what my spouse and I did last time. We've come to the conclusion a Republican will never win St. Louis County Executive just like a Republication will never win St. Louis City Mayor.

However your point is well made.

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post