SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Power of the people!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power of the people! Login/Join 
Page late and a dollar short
posted
Tonight I really feel good. Last week in "What's Your Deal" I made some comments in the Property Tax discussion regarding my city council deciding to enact a tax hike up to three mills for Police funding. But it's not what you think.

Michigan has limits on property taxes for primary residence, a tax limit of what used to be yearly hikes. Without going into every little thing, Reader's Digest version is as follows. A tax hike in excess of the inflation rate can be enacted by a Headlee Override (amendment to maximum rate) if passed by the voters. City Council wants more money for infrastructure improvements, some questionable, but feels that voters will turn it down. So they take money from the General Fund allocated for police, shift it to the infrastructure improvements. Now with the underfunded police, because of several quirks in Michigan law the city can implement a Special Assessment District (may not be legal to do so, various legal opinions say it is not)for police protection and raise up to three mills without a vote by the public. Another quirk of state law, this is legal for municipal governments with a population of less than 15,000 (we are about 9300) to do so.

Two weeks of a packed gallery, standing room only and about two and a half hours of comments from citizens later, vote came. Two weeks ago council was unanimous in favor, all seven. Tonight, revote. Six and six, Mayor was the deciding "no" vote. The proposal is now headed to the November ballot, time for both sides to make their case and may the best case win.

Thank you citizens of Howell,we were heard. It was not a case of anti-tax but how it was attempted.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good! Now if we could only get the citizenry riled up enough to shit can this no fault insurance.
And fix the street.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Sounds good! Now if we could only get the citizenry riled up enough to shit can this no fault insurance.
And fix the street.

I thought up guys drove dog sleds year round in the Yoop....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post