SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA For Vets Here Who Use Lowes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA For Vets Here Who Use Lowes Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I found out this week that Lowes doesn't offer the 10% Veterans/Military discount on online orders any longer. It must have just changed like this month as I had ordered online something pretty recently and they granted it then.

I'm still grateful they do it (as they don't have to) and don't get weird about it like HD can, but it's now limited to in-store, in-stock items only and if the item is already on sale or a special price, it doesn't count there either.

Just wanted to let you all know.

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Good to know. I don't even have to ask for the discount. After they went to registering as a vet for the discount a year or so ago, the check out just asks if I'm entitled to a discount and I give them my home phone number. They punch it in at the register and it comes back I am entitled. I do have a Lowe's card I was issued at registration and could show them that or give a phone number.

Maybe some folks were "working" a phone number angle, because lately in addition to the phone number, they've started asking if I have a military ID and I'm always happy to show them my retired military ID.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
Is it for veterans or retireds?

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wishfull thinker:
Most don’t know the difference.

As a veteran, when a sign says ask for veterans discount, and you ask, then they want to see your Military ID.
Typically what stores intend to say is Military Retirees or Disabled Veterans.
You need a Military ID or VA card.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here's the link where I registered. I'd say whatever the military status ... go through their registration process and let them figure it out ... https://www.lowes.com/mylowes/login?context=military

EDIT: It does say on that page, "Start shopping and get 10% off eligible purchases every day. In store only."

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Whenever a benefit is offered, it’s almost inevitable that it will either turn out to be too expensive for the company to continue; it will be abused in some way, including fraud; or both. Thanks to Lowe’s for doing what they did and for whatever they decide to do in the future.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm kind of astounded the discount has gone as long as it has and grateful for their recognition. Good company Lowe's, and I will continue to support them regardless of discount or not.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have both a Lowe's and a Home Depot within easy driving distance. I much prefer to shop at Lowe's.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
It looks like this is the real deal. DD214 or VA card will serve or so says their 'join' site.

I didn't do it yet because I've got to retrieve some dox and it's a momentary PITA, but it looks like they mean it.

Posts: 6390 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Whenever a benefit is offered, it’s almost inevitable that it will either turn out to be too expensive for the company to continue; it will be abused in some way, including fraud; or both. Thanks to Lowe’s for doing what they did and for whatever they decide to do in the future.

Oh I’m certain some asshat abused it online and they caught him.

Like a contractor ordering 500 light switches or something.

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Most don’t know the difference.

As a veteran, when a sign says ask for veterans discount, and you ask, then they want to see your Military ID. Typically what stores intend to say is Military Retirees or Disabled Veterans.

You need a Military ID or VA card.
The last time I renewed my Florida Driver License I brought a copy of my DD-214. My license now has a 'V' indicator on it. The driver license with the veteran indicator has been sufficient at any store or restaurant that offers veteran discounts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Apparently Texas also has a prevision for marking DLs with "VETERAN" when sufficient proof is tendered. Several documents are accepted as proof, DD214 among them. However, it seems that a Retiree ID card is not--I wonder why?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It looks like this is the real deal. DD214 or VA card will serve or so says their 'join' site.

They will send you a "My Lowes" card . Hand it to the check out person or scan the card at the self checkout. the 10% discount will automatically be applied. Works the same as a Krogers card. Also the Home Depot on Bell Road in Nashville will give a 10% discount if you ask. Sometimes Home Depot will ask for ID. My VA ID card suffices.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
My Colorado driver license also indicates I am a veteran.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
FIL just told me that you can get the discount when you go to the store. He ordered something online but had it shipped to the store. He brought it up to the lady at the register and she extended the discount.

Key is to have the stuff shipped to the store

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new mower at Tractor Supply, they did give a 10% discount but I think the max was $100.00. All they needed to see was my license with "Veteran" on it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of losvaqueros
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
FIL just told me that you can get the discount when you go to the store. He ordered something online but had it shipped to the store. He brought it up to the lady at the register and she extended the discount.

Key is to have the stuff shipped to the store

That’s how it works

Posts: 1813 | Location: Mid Tenn | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have both a Lowe's and a Home Depot within easy driving distance. I much prefer to shop at Lowe's.

I usually do, too, but I've purchased most of the stuff for the Man Cave Project at HD because: 1. They had what I wanted and Lowe's did not and 2. The threatened boycott.

I have and use a My Lowe's card. My veterans discount is automatically applied when they scan that at checkout.

Re: Ordering on-line: I almost never do that. If they don't have it in stock, Amazon usually gets the business.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I just bought a new mower at Tractor Supply, they did give a 10% discount but I think the max was $100.00. All they needed to see was my license with "Veteran" on it.

I asked once a good while back at our local Tractor Supply if they offered a military discount and they did not. I live in a city just outside an Army post and virtually everyone would use the discount if they did offer it. As far as I know, Tractor Supply only offers a military discount on the 4th of July.