SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Please educate me on tire/wheel size.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please educate me on tire/wheel size. Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
You're in St. Louis. Why not have the best of both worlds? The look of a big wheel with the function of a high side wall. You'd fit right in! Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
It costs about 1k to go up each wheel size as an option. It looks like it may not be a good option to purchase. Thanks.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
And Frank, that's hilarious. I may do that. When in Rome....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Uppster
posted Hide Post
The bigger the tire the higher the cost to replace them.

God,Guns,Cars,& 1Wife, I would say I have it all.

Posts: 1448 | Location: Independence MO | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
The wierd numbers on tires:
P = pmetric (most confuse this to mean passenger). They will have fewer plys (layers) than LT. Usually has mileage warranty.

LT = light truck (most assume this to be ALL trucks). These will have more plys than pmetrics. So, a bit more durable. Will require MORE air to operate safely (most inflate like pmetrics and run the chance of separation). Will require more air to handle the same load as pmetrics. Typically 55psi or more. Often times, no mileage warranty.

The numbers, unless looking at "flotation" tires (no 1st hand knowledge). You will see 2 numbers for example 265/75 R16. That tire is 265 mm wide with a sidewall that is 75% of the width and a 16" wheel (rim).

All that together: P265/75 R16 or LT265/75 R16

Smile

Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered what that middle number means.

That width is "cross section" not tread.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

All that together: P265/75 R16 or LT265/75 R16

Smile

Thanks for the explanation. I've always wondered what that middle number means.

That width is "cross section" not tread.

265 = width (side to side bird's eye view)
75 = sidewall that is 75% of width (in this example 198.75mm)
R16 = 16" wheel/rim diameter

I don't recall discussing tread depth? It was early when I typed it though. Wink

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
what size tire/rim were the drive train and brakes engineered for ?

more mass in the tire and rim require more fuel to get them up to speed, and more brakes to get them stopped.

I don't know what effect tire size has on shocks and springs ( or struts)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Another factor to consider is that many cars have moved from mundane long wearing tires, to a more performance tire. This limits options since tire stores must replace with speed rated tires on what you consider a family grocery getter.

These higher speed rated tires may offer a bit more grip, less wear life, and possibly lower all season performance. They are also likely more expensive.

Posts: 7455 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I don't know what the current thinking is, but a 16" is going to ride better than a 19" (assuming the same overall diameter, smaller tire wall on the 19" rim), and cost less to replace.

A 19" rim would allow bigger brakes, but if you're talking about an optional larger size rim on the same vehicle, I doubt that would be the case. If different vehicles, check if the one with bigger wheels also has bigger discs, which of course theoretically makes for better stopping.

Personally, I don't like the looks of 19" rims and skinny rubber, but others like them.

This isn’t necessarily true anymore when it comes to factory setups. They can tailor the springs and shocks to ride just as good if not better with larger wheels. My new expedition has much larger wheels than my 2008 20” I think on the new one versus 17” on the old one and it rides much nicer and handles much better and it has better brakes (larger). A lot of times they use variable springs that are softer then get stiffer as the vehicle leans more.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post