SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    AV/UTV Riders- Do you wear a helmet?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AV/UTV Riders- Do you wear a helmet? Login/Join 
posted
My wife and I are going to do a little trail riding with our new RZR and contemplating the need for helmets. We won't be doing any crazy rock climbing or high speed stuff, but I guess the small risk of going off an edge and rolling is still there.

I'd appreciate your opinions. Also, if you do wear a helmet, any recommendations for style and brand would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Question:
Do you wear a helmet when riding an ATV off road?

Choices:
Only on quads
Only on side by sides
Every time I get on an ATV/UTV
Only on technical or difficult trails
Never

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
No. But then I am an older guy and ride the side by side all over my place and I have no interest in seeing how fast I can get from one fence line to the other.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’m not gonna put on a helmet while I’m riding fences, putting out feed, or checking on livestock.

Posts: 6289 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you go to some of the commercial trails, they will require a helmet.

Awake not woke

Posts: 566 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

The MN state trails require it for under 18, but not adults.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
My use is at hunt camp getting to stands,I am not one that rarely get up to second gear,The Rubicon foreman would run faster than I will ever find out

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the type of riding you describe I'd be wearing a helmet. Element of safety but it's also a more comfortable set up including good eye protection such as goggles.

Posts: 1950 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Some more info.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...890091624#4890091624

I was all set to setup the RZR with a Ruger Radios fresh air helmet system and communication but the wife loathed wearing a full motorcross helmet. The weight and restricted view and heat were issues.

I’m now looking at a half helmet or a high end certified skate board or snow board helmet and goggles. They’re not DOT rated but for our use should be sufficient. I’m mostly concerned about low speed crash or too over and heads hitting the roll cage or ground. Also the random tree branch. We have a full windshield and I’ll be installing harnesses rather than the three point belts.

We’re not crazy fast riders or hill climbers etc, but we are concerned about others on the trail that are.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We’re looking at a Bell or ProTech skate helmet.

If you go full motorcross style, I like Arai or Shoei, though HJC and Klim have some good stuff once you step up in price for the HJC for sure.

I was going to buy a Klim R1 Air helmet for the air pumper system but the fresh air will add a few hundred dollars and you need a specific helmet.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No, I don't. But if I had a Razor I be inclined to have a "real" helmet. Not a skateboard type deal.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We have a Teryx4. We don't wear helmets but don't do stupid stuff either. These are noisy and we wear intercom headphones to talk and listen to good music

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, never on an ATV.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
I have a Polaris Ranger, I use it around the yard and up the private trail behind my house to my shooting range. I don't ride fast or do any crazy stuff, and I don't wear a helmet.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
My ATV is a working machine. I'm either plowing my driveway, accessing a remote property for inspection, or hunting. Very seldom do I ever go faster than 5-10 mph. I've accepted the risk vs reward (better SA), and do not wear a helmet on my wheeler.

Back when I rode snow machines, I always wore a helmet. I wear one on my motorcycle, 90% of the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
We’re not crazy fast riders or hill climbers etc, but we are concerned about others on the trail that are.

That would probably change my mind if I was in a similar situation. I'd be looking to wear a helmet also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just an additional point if you have already not checked in to this....may want to check with your insurance company on it. If there is ever a need to file a claim, probably more associated with a personal injury one use of a helmet or lack of one may affect the outcome of that claim.

Posts: 55 | Location: Port Huron, Michigan | Registered: August 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check the laws. In Michigan, we technically even need a helmet in our own yard on an ATV (which is obviously not strictly adhered to by anybody, but if a LEO chose to be a jerk, can result in a ticket).

Operating on roads and trails with an ATV helmets are required and enforced. They also enforce the one / two up design, where a person behind the operator isn't lawful unless the machine is specifically designed for it.

I believe the rule for UTVs is that helmet isn't required as long as there's a roll cage and seat belts in use and a wind screen negates the mandatory use of goggles. I don't have one, so I've never looked it up myself, but that's how dune buggies are.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
public trails we typically do - it's the other people on the trails that I'm worried about! When riding around the hunting land doing maintenance etc we don't. Speeds are slower and we're getting dismounting to do work.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Yes on my atv but I also ride public trails.

I started wearing on after I almost got hit by a dirt bike coming the other direction on a logging road in Colorado. It was an inside curve and he was in my lane.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post