SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    French dingbat joggs over US border. Gets a free hot and a cot stay.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

French dingbat joggs over US border. Gets a free hot and a cot stay. Login/Join 
posted
https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/...gging-us-immigration
quote:
French teen accidentally jogs across US border detained – report
Agence France-Presse / 09:53 AM June 24, 2018

A jogger runs past the Round Pond as the sun rises at Kensington Gardens in London on August 31, 2017. In North America, a French teen visiting her mother in Ottawa, Canada, was detained by the US Department of Homeland Security after she accidentally crossed the border into Washington State while jogging on May 21, 2018. AFP

OTTAWA, Canada – A young French woman who was visiting her mother in western Canada spent two weeks in a US detention center after inadvertently crossing the border while jogging along the beach, a report said Friday.

Cedella Roman, 19, ran across the border just south of the town of White Rock in Canada’s British Columbia, into the US state of Washington on the evening of May 21, she told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).

She headed back when the tide began to come in, going up toward a dirt path before stopping to take a photo of the stunning scenery, then turned around to retrace her steps.

ADVERTISEMENT
It was then that she was apprehended by two US Border Patrol officers who told her she had crossed illegally and had been caught on camera.

“I told him I had not done it on purpose, and that I didn’t understand what was happening,” she told CBC.
Roman protested that she hadn’t seen any warning signs, and didn’t initially anticipate how serious the matter would become.

“I said to myself, well I may have crossed the border — but they’ll probably only give me a fine or they’ll tell me to go back to Canada or they’ll give me a warning.”

Complicating matters, Roman, who had come to Canada to visit her mother and work on her English, wasn’t carrying any government-issued ID on her at the time.

She was transferred by the officers to the Tacoma Northwest Detention Center, run by the Department of Homeland Security, 200 kilometers (120 miles) to the south.

“They put me in the caged vehicles and brought me into their facility,” she said. “They asked me to remove all my personal belongings with my jewelry, they searched me everywhere.

“Then I understood it was getting very serious, and I started to cry a bit.”

When she reached the center, she contacted her mother, Christiane Ferne, who quickly reached the center with her passport and study permits — but the workers at the site said the documents would have to be verified by Canadian authorities.

ADVERTISEMENT
She was held at the center for two weeks before the matter was resolved and she was allowed to return to Canada.

Ferne said the lack of clear signs had led to her daughter’s predicament. “It’s like a trap… anybody can be caught at the border like this,” she said.

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed to CBC that Roman was discharged on June 6. But neither the ICE nor Immigration Canada would comment further on the case, citing privacy concerns.

A spokesperson for the US Customs and Border Protection told CBC that anyone who enters the US outside an official port of entry and without inspection has crossed the border illegally and will be detained.

“This applies regardless of whether or not the individual claims to have inadvertently crossed the border,” the department said. cbb

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/...ration#ixzz5JRisu58N
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Modern melenial teens can be uncomprimisingly dense and stupid. Yet, about this, I dont think so. I call bullshit on her "i didn't mean to." 20:1 she was doing a dry run of crossing the border.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
In the time it took to read that article, 500 central American illegals flooded over the US border, welcomed by Democrats who told them they need to replace the filthy Americans.

Roll Eyes

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
having lived in Seattle, I can not tell you the number of canuckistani's and Asians that were wandering around that openly admitted they were here illegally from Canada. I would like to see the southern border well secured, but the northern is a problem also.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
In the time it took to read that article, 500 central American illegals flooded over the US border, welcomed by Democrats who told them they need to replace the filthy Americans.

Roll Eyes

Has anyone thought that maybe the illegals that make it into our country need free transport to the northern border? I really am not being facetious. Why can't we handle them the same way Mexico seems to handle them? Pass the buck onto the Canadians? Let them figure out why having millions of people that don't assimilate is a bad idea. Maybe then, they'll have a better understanding of why they should be just as invested in the security of the United States as we are.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
I call bullshit on her "i didn't mean to." 20:1 she was doing a dry run of crossing the border.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why would she do that?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
“This applies regardless of whether or not the individual claims to have inadvertently crossed the border,” the department said. cbb

Wait a cotton pickin' minute. Just two years ago, we learned from James Comey, one the nation's chief law enforcement officers at the time, that inadvertently breaking the law is okay. It's only when you intend to do it that it is a crime.

Posts: 8610 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I understand and agree the law's the law, but c'mon. See: This is how U.S. Customs and Border Protection gets regarded as storm troopers. The girl made a mistake. Particularly if she was right in there having been no notification she was crossing into the U.S. this was excessive in the extreme.

quote:
I call bullshit on her "i didn't mean to." 20:1 she was doing a dry run of crossing the border.

Yeah, because France is such a shithole the French are just dying to get into the U.S. by whatever means necessary

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

I think she was trying to see if she could cross the border. If so, she would gather her nessisarys and run. Who in their right mind goes jogging in a foreign country with out their paperwork but takes their phone. She admittedly thought she was across, but stopped to take a selfie from a near by cliff. My ass, she was looking to see if she could get away.
Seattle has an invasion of canadians, asains through canada, and of course the southern border. This case it was a french dingbat who tried to enter from the northern border.

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I think she was trying to see if she could cross the border. If so, she would gather her nessisarys and run. Who in their right mind goes jogging in a foreign country with out their paperwork but takes their phone. She admittedly thought she was across, but stopped to take a selfie from a near by cliff. My ass, she was looking to see if she could get away.
Seattle has an invasion of canadians, asains through canada, and of course the southern border. This case it was a french dingbat who tried to enter from the northern border.

Complete nonsense. She could simply enter the country just like any other French tourist.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Complete nonsense. She could simply enter the country just like any other French tourist.

Indeed.

This may come as a bit of a shock to some of my fellow countrymen, but the entire rest of the world outside U.S. borders isn't a shithole everybody's trying to escape. In fact... wait for it... many people actually like where they live and have no interest in living in the USA at all!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Well, I see a trifecta of stupid here.

1) not seeing the border-crossing signs

2) not having her papers on her. My policy when out of the country is to have my passport on my person when I am out of the hotel room.
Yes, I understand not carrying inessentials while jogging, but still...even if she wasn't planning on crossing the US border, as a French national she was in a foreign country (Canada) even before the cross-border jog.

3) bureaucrats foot-dragging in clearing this up.

IMO, the jogger won the stupid contest, best two out of three. Wink

It might pay to go back for CBP and look at whether the signage wasn't clearly visible. Maybe the jogger just wasn't paying attention, but it is also possible that the signage needs to be spruced up.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's been a hot minute since I've been up to Blaine, but I could see it happening, especially if she's running along the beach at low tide. It's not exactly the Korean DMZ over here betwixt Washington state and Soviet Canukistan. There's the water, the beach, a set of train tracks, some woods on the Canadian side tapering down as it gets close to the border, and then I-5/Highway 99 with with Peace Arch park separating the southbound and northbound lanes. The park itself is open on both sides and one can freely cross into and out of the US and Canada without passport or papers, provided one only leaves through the side they came in on. It's all pretty casual as far as crossings go.

Was she stupid to not carry some ID? Probably. Could the Border Patrol have handled it better? Most definitely. That's the only reason we're hearing about it.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Take a look at a map of the area. She ran within 200-300 feet of a Canadian Border facility and closer yet to the U.S. Border Patrol facility. Neither of them “small” facilities and probably very noticeable, even from the beach. Talk about being “in the zone”. Taking picture of what?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I dunno, I kinda side with DsGrouse on this one. My old man was Border Patrol for nearly 30 years between El Paso and the northern border in New York state where the land border is just as permeable as it is here in Washington, and he saw all kinds of stuff. An idiot teenager who jogged across the border to take a selfie having snuck across the border just to say she did it would hardly peg the weird meter. Shit, there was a rash of idiot teenagers dying taking stupidly dangerous selfies over the last few years so they could post them on social media. How is this somehow incomprehensible compared to the kid that fell in the caldera, or the one that fell into the Grand Canyon, or, or, or.....?

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Could the Border Patrol have handled it better? Most definitely.

How?

quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
That's the only reason we're hearing about it.

I suggest to you that the only reason we're hearing about it is because of all the border nonsense that's so fresh in the news. This kinda thing? It ain't the first time it's ever happened. Not even by a little bit.

Posts: 17110 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I'd imagine it's pretty easy to slip across the border in Point Roberts, WA, as well.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
You guys are forgetting the Instagram effect. People do dumb shit just to see whether they can get away with it for no other reason than to post a selfie showing they got away with it.

She would have been able to come on across the border with her passport and regular ID, but instead, she thought she was being cute and "woke" by crossing and showing that she did it. Was she trying to show the world how easily a "white" could cross the US border? Or was she just a dumb shit that really was so self absorbed that she didn't see the multiple signs stating that she was leaving one country and going into another? I can't believe it's the 2nd option.

Hell, if they are serious enough to put a camera on the particular spot she ran by, I can't imagine they wouldn't have a corresponding sign saying as much. I'll bet you also know when you are going from one state to another here in the US. Think the borders to the country are any different?

She got a free ride in a cage, got her mommy bits searched, and she'll never forget it, all because of stupidity.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
if she was visiting her mother in Ottawa, what was she doing in British Columbia?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Glad to see BP doing their job and following the letter of the law.

Stupid should be painful and I guess a 2 week stay at Uncle Sams detention facility will make her re-think her future jogging near another country's border.

For all of you guys saying that the BP should have jsut sent her back across...think for one moment and think if she was being observed by some nare-do-well forign guys who were intent on hurting Americans...might have been a dry run, or might have just been a stupid girl....either way, glad she was captured.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Deport her to French New Caledonia.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31425 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
why detain her for two weeks? just send her back over, it was a jog couldn't have been very far into the us.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post