SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tongue in cheek Anglo-Saxons deserve reparations for the Norman Conquest The effect on indigenous English society was enduring devastation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tongue in cheek Anglo-Saxons deserve reparations for the Norman Conquest The effect on indigenous English society was enduring devastation Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Anglo-Saxons deserve reparations for the Norman Conquest

The effect on indigenous English society was enduring devastation

Sahil Mahtani

LINK

Sahil Mahtani

13 July 2019

9:00 AM

Restorative justice for the victims of colonialism is an idea whose time has come. A few years ago, the Indian diplomat Shashi Tharoor suggested Britain pay India compensation to atone for centuries of colonial rule. ‘I’d be quite happy if it was one pound a year for the next two hundred years,’ he said.

In April, Cambridge University announced a two-year study into how buildings and wine cellars might have been constructed on the backs of slaves. ‘There is growing public and academic interest in the links between the older British universities and the slave trade, and it is only right that Cambridge should look into its own exposure to the profits of coerced labour during the colonial period,’ said Vice-Chancellor Stephen Toope.

Too right. Glasgow University has already conducted a study into its own links with slavery and concluded that £200 millionworth of its wealth was ill-gotten in this way — though it hasn’t yet decided what form reparations should take. In America, the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties held a hearing in June to examine ‘the legacy of the transatlantic slave trade, its continuing impact on the community and the path to restorative justice’. The campaign has received support from nearly 60 House Democrats and a string of the wokest Democratic presidential candidates, including Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren.

To those who suggest we might be better spending our time righting the injustices of today rather than of the distant past I say: shame on you. If these wrongs are not righted through compensation they will live on in our collective shame and the descendants of the victims will continue to suffer. Far from abandoning the principle of restorative justice we should be expanding it and exploring what other injustices might be put right through financial compensation.

One glaring example is the great evil visited on the Anglo-Saxon population by the Norman Conquest of 1066. By any standard, the effect on indigenous English society was enduring devastation. Through war, invasion and genocide, the Anglo-Saxon ruling class was almost entirely replaced, control of the church and state surrendered to foreign adversaries, English replaced by Norman French as the language of government, and England’s entire political, social and cultural orientation shifted from Northern Europe to the continent for the next thousand years.

This matters because, just as the pain of colonialism continues to be endured by its descendants, the Conquest continues to have lasting effects. In his study of surnames and social mobility, economic historian Gregory Clark concluded that Norman surnames continue to be 25 per cent overrepresented at Oxbridge to this day relative to other indigenous English surnames. As Clark put it: ‘The fact that Norman surnames had not been completely average in their social distribution by 1300, by 1600, or even by 1900 implies astonishingly slow rates of social mobility during every epoch of English history.’ Not for nothing did Nonconformists and Whigs loudly oppose ‘the Norman yoke’ during the 17th and 18th centuries.

Cambridge University, which still drips with Norman money and influence, should now consider to what extent it needs to compensate its Anglo-Saxon victims. The Sutton Trust estimates that Oxbridge graduates earn £400,000 more during their lifetimes than graduates from other UK universities. These figures imply that descendants of the rapacious Norman invader class could be earning tens of thousands of pounds more than other graduates — an undeserved lifetime premium that has survived 31 generations. So, reparations must certainly be made. But who shall pay, and who shall receive?

It should be straightforward for a Royal Commission to trace the present-day descendants of Britain’s Norman usurpers through a combination of genealogical and administrative research as well as — inevitably — mandatory genetic testing. A small tax on the Lampards, Vardys and Gascoignes of the world, payable to the Bamfords, Bransons and Ecclestones, would be sufficient to catalyse healing for the open sores of the past.

What are the sums involved? By 1086, the Norman arrivistes had stolen almost a third of the 12.5 million acres of arable land in England, parcelling it into manorial estates. At a conservative estimate, that land is now worth £7,000 per acre — or £25 billion in total that the Normans owe Anglo-Saxons for the Conquest. France’s liability could, of course, be offset against our exit bill from the EU.

There will be inevitable quibbles, such as descendants of Normans claiming that they were not personally responsible. But this is feeble prattle. Countries typically honour treaties dating hundreds of years in the past, despite no one being alive who signed them. We pay debts accumulated by previous generations. Similarly, reparations correctly depend on a notion of collective and inherited responsibility, precisely why the Jews were held accountable for the death of Jesus Christ for most of the Christian era.

We are learning every day just how deep our roots in the past lie. The more we learn, the more necessary it is to see the past in terms of the attitudes of the present, and to rectify regrettable aspects. Eventually these may encompass events as old as the Indo-Aryan invasions of 1500 bc, which produced the Hindu caste system, as well as more unheralded travesties such as the American conquest of the Philippines, which introduced junk food, soap operas and general bad taste. Ultimately, only by demarcating a special class of victims and making grievance inheritable can we address the sins of the past and promote harmony in our own world.

Of course, in Britain one Royal Commission is unlikely to be sufficient. Once the Anglo-Saxon population has been compensated, surviving descendants of the ancient Britons will understandably want to seek redress from the Anglo-Saxons themselves for crimes committed during that earlier settlement. Justice must be served, even if it means even more public money disappearing over the Severn Bridge into Wales. But hopefully it will be made up for by the billions we are owed by present-day Scandinavians in compensation for all that rape and pillage by the Vikings.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more! There needs to be a complete accounting for all of the past wrongs!

Other segments of history that are suffering from severe neglect is what happened to Neanderthals and Cro-Magnons. These poor folks had literally everything taken from them, and yet where is the outrage? A complete study needs to be done and a fair compensatory package needs to be delivered to......their descendants. I think this needs to happen way before we can even begin to look at reparations for Blacks or Anglo-Saxons, as a matter of chronological priorities.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Hey, wait a second! What about us Celts!?!? The Angles, Saxons and Jutes, the people who today style themselves "Anglo-Saxons", invaded us and devastated our families, our government, our religion, our economy, our culture and our society! We deserve full reparations first!!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Hey, wait a second! What about us Celts!?!? ... We deserve full reparations first!!

A point I usually make about the whole “reparations” concept, and there are countless similar examples that could be cited. Based on recent findings about early human history, I’m thinking of identifying myself as a Neanderthal and demanding reparations from the entire homo sapiens species. Pay up, you big-brained suckas!

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47367 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Us Vikings ran out of fjucks about 800 years ago.

Posts: 10828 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
The descendants of African slaves here and elsewhere should demand justice from the slave trader countries in Africa.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Man, go after Italy for the Roman Empire

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Nope, apparently you're going to have to go straight to Rome - assuming you can't find a way to serve process on the ancient war god Mars, of course, and that you can prove Remus didn't have any offspring.

http://www.britannica.com/biography/Romulus-and-Remus
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A point I usually make about the whole “reparations” concept, and there are countless similar examples that could be cited. Based on recent findings about early human history, I’m thinking of identifying myself as a Neanderthal and demanding reparations from the entire homo sapiens species. Pay up, you big-brained suckas!

Big Grin Apparently there are now beginning to be some questions as to who came first where.
http://news.yahoo.com/skull-di...umans-195516344.html

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Big Grin Apparently there are now beginning to be some questions as to who came first where.

Yes, I saw that. Smile

But such facts don’t matter any more than the fact that it would have been impossible for a few “white” slavers to round up thousands of native Africans and take them away without the active support of other native Africans. What matters is that my claim was first. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47367 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
What I want is retribution reparation for the dumbass Great Ape that gave birth to the first Democrat, who has been shitting on this country and its Citizens ever since. I think a quadrillion $ will do it, all of which needs to come from their apish camp.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Aww, c'mon, the Irish!

Centuries of British subjugation, despite what U2 sing about.

Potato famine ... Jamaica free slaves ... the list is endless.

The Celts, really? Your painted men and women held the Roman Empire at the Wall ... all we Irish had was pottoes and mud to fling about.
Wink

Tongue in cheek ripostes ... Cool

From s Munster descendant.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Man, go after Italy for the Roman Empire

Absolutely... they oppressed the ancestors of billions and must pay!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zapfire:
Nice read, the British throne is filled with long and historical event, i recently found out the Royal family are of Scottish decent.

Only partly - the present Queen's mother mother was Scottish, and that AFAIK, is it.

I, on the other hand, am distantly related to the Patriarch Abraham Smile

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Us Vikings ran out of fjucks about 800 years ago.

I LOL'ed at this Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Yn gyntaf oll oedd y Rhufeiniaid a gyrhaeddodd ym Mhrydain a dros y bedair mlynedd nesaf, a 90% o Brydain yn siarad Cymraeg/Frythonig. Yna mae'r Jutiaid a Sacsoniaid gyrraedd, a gyrru eu ffordd ar draws yr hyn a elwir bellach yn Lloegr, ond wedi methu â gwneud llawer o gynnydd yng Nghymru. Yr iaith yn goroesi yno, ac, i'ryw raddau, yn Llydaw, rhan o Ffrainc. Mae wedi goroesi heddiw, yng Nghymru. Nid oedd y Gwylliaid, y Cymry yn Celtaidd. Mae Cymru yn mynnu gwneud iawn o Denmarc, Norwy, Sweden a Gogledd yr Almaen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tacfoley,

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tac FTW

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
First of all it was the Romans who arrived in Britain when 90% of Britain spoke spoke Welsh/Brythonic. Then the Saxons and Jutes arrived, driving their way across what is now England, but failed to make much progress in Wales. The language survived there, and, to some extent, in Brittany, part of France. It survives today, in Wales.

None of the invaders were Celtic, but the Welsh are.

Wales demands redress from Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Northern Germany.