SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bourbon/scotch recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bourbon/scotch recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of Leemur
posted
Wife got me a membership to a place called Flaviar and I’ve got a free shipping credit to use on a bottle. Any recommendations on a small batch or sorta uncommon bottle I should use it on? Looking to keep the price around $80 or less. Not a fan of Islay scotch but everything else is on the table. I like Woodford, Knob Creek, Stranahans and Buffalo Trace. Wheated or rye are both good.

Thanks!

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Balvenie Caribbean cask 14yo single malt Scotch.

This is by far my favorite, when I can find it.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
My favorite is Lagavulin 16, excellent single malt.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1310 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can find it, Weller Antique 107, not too expensive but a nice and different Bourbon.

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof will be right at $100.00, but it is a very nice Bourbon.

There are quite a few Bourbons that I like, from inexpensive to high end. I have found quite a few inexpensive Bourbons that are surprisely good.

The Weller Antique 107 is $30.00ish, it's not common, and it's good.

I have no clue on scotch, don't care for it.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked over the selection on that website. The Old Forester 1920 is a really good one to try if you've never had it.

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:

Would not recommend that as a first scotch due to the heavy peaty aroma/flavour (although, it is my personal favorite)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Laphroaig and Ardbeg here, so I'm out. If I can't taste the ocean, it isn't scotch, although Ardbeg's An Oa isn't as peaty as some....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
80+ pages of recommendations here...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3990054973

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
Someone who likes bourbon is probably not going to like peated Islay whisky.

The OP stated that he was not a fan of Islay scotch, so why are some of you you recommending it?

I will second the recommendation for Balvenie Carribean Cask. But if you don't like rum flavors, then give Balvenie Double Wood a try.

Don't overlook a good Irish whiskey. Powers Signature Release single pot still is very good. Stay away from the cheaper Irish whiskies, though.

Many fine bourbons out there as well. Blanton's is a good choice.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Angel’s Envy Bourbon......

You’re welcome.

(The AE rye is even better but it’s at a higher price point)

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
No recommendation here because my favorites are all Islay scotch. Ardbeg Corryvreckan is my all time favorite.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Might take a look at these two at a somewhat lower price point: Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch, and “1792” as another good one.
I would not be surprised to hear that undamaged product salvaged from Beam’s collapsed wearhouse earier in the summer could hit the market according to a couple of my Bourbon collector friends.
Regards to all.
Blackhorse4

Posts: 87 | Location: North central Kentucky | Registered: October 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Can never go wrong with The MacCallan 12yr

Or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

I've only just begun to get into bourbon, but so far I like Knob Creek 120 Single Barrel. I like their Rye too.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I flipped through the Bourbon and Rye offerings from Flaviar, just now, and wasn't impressed with their supposedly higher end offerings. If it's coming from them I'd stick to known winners that are somewhat "regular", such as Blantons, Basil Hayden, Henry McKenna, Cask Strength Makers, etc. My initial impression of their top shelf is that's it's a lot of filler and a lot of Mystery Whiskey that sounds fancy but probably isn't.

I'll look again later and see if there are few exceptions hidden amongst the rest.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Agreed

I always have a bottle of that on hand.

The 18 yo is pretty amazing but 5x the price of the 12 yo

JB

quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
Can never go wrong with The MacCallan 12yr

Or Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban

I've only just begun to get into bourbon, but so far I like Knob Creek 120 Single Barrel. I like their Rye too.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've become fond of Aberlour 12yo over (a previous favorite) Balvenie Double-Wood. I've tried the Caribbean Cask and enjoyed it. It's little pricier than Aberlour and Double-Wood. about $30 more per 750ml if that matters. Sometimes it does.

-TVz

Posts: 432 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Tooky13:

Would not recommend that as a first scotch due to the heavy peaty aroma/flavour (although, it is my personal favorite)

I like Scotch, I’ve had several brands/types, I just don’t like Islays.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Balvenie Double Wood

Knob Creek Single Barrel

or for something different, try a single pot still Irish whiskey like Redbreast, Green Spot, or the pricier but truly excellent Yellow Spot.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
On the single malt side, it's hard to beat Balvenie DoubleWood.
(Caribbean Cask come a very close second.)

Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon - but I see you've already had it.
While not bourbon, per se, George Dickel #12 whisky is amazingly smooth and priced along the lines of Jack Daniels and the like.

Posts: 12541 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Ok, due to the multiple mentions of Balvenie Caribbean Cask that was my choice. I’d never heard of it so thanks for pointing me towards it!