SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Amazing Belgian Malinois
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Amazing Belgian Malinois Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Dutch shepherd is another amazing dog along the same lines.

Posts: 1177 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have been around both maligators and German shepherd LE dogs over the last 26 years (mals more recently) and find that while being hig strung, mals are more predictable and respond to commands faster. The larger shepherds stared at you like they couldn't wait to bite you; the mals acted more like regular dogs until it was time to work...then they were downright scary. Every perp I saw exposed to one did exactly as he was commanded to do. Mals are the perfect police dog IMO.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

My wife's department, and their fellow department (Montgomery County PD, MD) referred to them as Malinoids. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Those dogs are absolutely amazing. Never knew that they could climb trees.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just remember they are not good for pets. These are working dogs and to say they are high strung is putting it mildly. If you don’t have heavy experience with working dogs (working line GSD’s, Dutchies) then do not even think about getting one. They need an experienced handler and a lot of time. They need to be worked often and heavily so there is a major time dedication. No work they get depressed and agitated. I’m seeing more and more Mals put up for adoption because people saw a video, movie, etc and thought it would be a good idea only to find out they are in way over their heads. Leave this breed to LE, military, and expert handlers.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12620 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
Those dogs are absolutely amazing. Never knew that they could climb trees.
or run straight up the side of a building (referring to the scene where one uses a boost off a bent over back to sprint up to the roof).

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
I've also worked with GSDs, Mals, and Dutchies.

My house dog - who recently passed - was another one of those perfect 70lb GSD females. Created by Gods own hand I have no doubt. She competed Ring2 and was still the love of my kids lives and a constant companion.

We're talking about getting a new dog and I'm lobbying for a Mal this time around. But wife is still partial to the GSDs. She trusts them more.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Amazing indeed. Thanks for posting that video.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yanert98:
I've also worked with GSDs, Mals, and Dutchies.

My house dog - who recently passed - was another one of those perfect 70lb GSD females. Created by Gods own hand I have no doubt. She competed Ring2 and was still the love of my kids lives and a constant companion.

We're talking about getting a new dog and I'm lobbying for a Mal this time around. But wife is still partial to the GSDs. She trusts them more.

Having gone through this same situation in the last year, here are my findings (I use a 3 C scale for the parents and pups, Calm, Controlled, and Confident in just the right amounts, see the end of this post for further information):

Malinois: Temperament is usually bi polar to extreme bi polar: manic days and non-manic days with the non manic days being fewer and further between until they get to a certain age and then it levels off. Drives are almost always range from high to "no way in hell can this dog live in the house with us". Really needs a job from day one, very little "puppyhood" with this breed. If you start training right away the right way, it will have a lasting impression. If you make a mistake in training, it may take months to fix it. Good to great health depending on the breeder. Several good breeders but you will pay to get what you want.

Dutchies: I have not seen enough to make a true opinion, through most of the ones I have seen were very Malinois like, with SOME having an off switch. A lot of times you will see litters that have both Malinois and Dutchies in same litter and classification is based on what their coat color is. There are a few Dutchie only breeders in the US (Emerald Wolf, Cher Cher Kennels, Vrijheid, Impact K9, Von Falconer are the good ones) and they usually only put a out a couple litters a year. Stay away from Aachen in Oklahoma, dogs are pure crap and worthless.

German Shepherd: Due to the different lines: West German Show (forget American Show lines), West German Work Lines, Old School West German Lines (a work dog must look good and a show dog must work well), East German aka DDR lines, and Czech lines, there is something to fit everyone needs/wants here. Drives can be low to high (but not frenetic). Needs a job too but can also be a puppy and a dog you can live with. Training is usually very easy and most of the ones I have seen have been very handler oriented (especially DDR line dogs). If you make a mistake in training, it is usually easier to fix compared to Malinois (it is like the GSD knew YOU messed up at the time and are ready to learn it the right way right away). Health can be bad to great depending on breeder's doing genetic testing or not.

I want with GSD. I have a dark sable 19 month old female and the end of the month I am getting a bicolor GSD male puppy. I am really hoping he will be a clone of his father, FANTASTIC GSD. I told the breeder after meeting the father that you need to clone him as he was the quintessential perfect working GSD.

Nothing wrong with Malinois and I will eventually get one but it will have to be the "right" one for me and my life.

My 3 C scale for Dogs is this:

Calm: too much is a lazy dog, too little is a frenetic dog.
Controlled: Too much is a dog that has to be/wants to be micro managed, too little and you have a dog that gives you a "screw you" look as he is jumping the fence running away from you every time you say "Here" or a dog that stops in the middle of a training track and gives you a "make me" look when you give the order to track (been there, done that).
Confident: Too much and you end up with a suicidal dog while too little, you end up with a cowering fear biter.

Granted socialization goes a long way but only when paired with good solid genetics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About face licking... the one thing you should't do with a new puppy is hold it like a human baby and up to your face.
You're just teaching it to jump up on you when it's grown.
Respect them and keep them down on the floor. They won't jump up on you later.
Me? Dogs are God's gift to man.
Have you ever noticed its the only animal in the world that prefers people to it's own kind? When I used to produce purebred cockers as soon as they begin to see the entire liter wags at you.
I had to put down my Vizsla a little over two years ago__still miss her.
The boder patrol entry a few miles from here use a Malinois. She's a dandy.
Stay safe
Poli Viejo

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s very impressive .

Looks like some pretty high risk training to me though. Unless these dogs are built more rugged than the usual large breed it looks like an ACL I injury just waiting to happen, at the very least.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post