SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Amazing Belgian Malinois
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Amazing Belgian Malinois Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
We’ve got a GSD. Her parents were both imported from Germany and she’s extremely athletic (I might try to scare up a couple photos to illustrate her athleticism). She weighs exactly 70#, perfect weight for a female GSD of working dog lineage.

There’s athletic, like Larry Byrd, then there’s athletic like Michael Jordon. These dogs are the Michael Jordan’s of the dog world. Maybe Dutchies are...Magic Johnson? Big Grin

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine the level of terror someone in that car had when that hairy missile came flying through the window. Eek

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're climbing trees better than most squirrels can! Eek

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing dogs. When my son was in the 6th grade his school had a few members of the county sheriffs K-9 handlers come and put on a show. Those dogs (Belgium Malinois) could literally jump thru an open front car window and drag a person from the back seat to the front seat then out the window. Pretty much had everyone (including parents) blown away. What did I have reinforced? Don't fuck with K-9 handlers. What did my son learn? Don't fuck with K-9 handlers. Yeah, the Bytes family doesn't need to experience something firsthand to learn a lessonBig Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those maligators are awesome!

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
There is a female which comes to the Market here on some weekends. I had the feeling she is a very fast dog.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
If Jackie Chan were hairy and had four legs...hed be a Malinois

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My son is a K-9 deputy and has one. They are every bit of what the video shows and more. Just a simple bad ass dog who will hand your ass to you if don’t follow the commands.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I love dogs and have been around Euro-GSDs (working dogs) for over the last 35+ yrs. That being said they are neither superhuman or unbeatable. Especially deep-chested dogs who leap/lunge into a bite.

Off-topic: I also believe that police often abuse fourth amendment rights by using dog to “alert” for reasonable suspicion. Dogs are terribly perceptive of human emotions and will do whatever the handler wants done. I see dogs mostly used as a fear tactic, and I find that rather distasteful. That’s not to imply working breeds/dogs don’t have their uses in service. Ymmv.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Makes the "Crazy Nastyass Honey Badger" look tame by comparison.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I thought this thread was about Belgian Malinois dogs, and that "GSD" was a German Shepherd. So why are they being admixed here?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
...I also believe that police often abuse fourth amendment rights by using dog to “alert” for reasonable suspicion. Dogs are terribly perceptive of human emotions and will do whatever the handler wants done. I see dogs mostly used as a fear tactic, and I find that rather distasteful. That’s not to imply working breeds/dogs don’t have their uses in service. Ymmv.

I agree. There was a series of "scandals" some years back, when handlers were actually triggering their dogs and claiming the dogs detected drugs. Unfortunately, I don't think anything much came of it.

A Mal was used in the TV show "Person Of Interest", and it appeared to be a very loyal and loving animal, very protective. I wanted one after watching that show. Upon reflection, though, I realized I couldn't trust an animal to protect me and mine. They can't be expected to always be right, and I could see a lawsuit if I couldn't control my dog. Too bad.

Still, great entertainment!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I thought this thread was about Belgian Malinois dogs, and that "GSD" was a German Shepherd. So why are they being admixed here?

flashguy

GSDs are working dogs too. I was comparing them to Larry Byrd in athleticism vs. a Mal’s Jordan-like athleticism. Why do you ask? You were really bothered by that?

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

flashguy

GSDs are working dogs too. I was comparing them to Larry Byrd in athleticism vs. a Mal’s Jordan-like athleticism. Why do you ask? You were really bothered by that?

I agree, and great analogy. One thing to keep in mind is the worst player in the NBA is a really, really, really good basketball playerBig Grin Don't fuck with a K-9, even the 3rd stringersBig Grin

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Ours is 15 years old. Wife treats him better than she treats me.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
My sister has a Mal. She trained the dog to detect gluten like one would a bomb-sniffing dog. Celiac's disease sucks, having a working dog with good training means she's been able to enjoy food outside of a very strict, home-prepared menu, and she has had almost no issues with becoming sick (instead of about monthly, even with strict precautions).

I was not prepared for the amount of face-licking involved with a Mal. And there's nothing you can do to stop it. Just when you think you're safe you get tackled on the couch and your face is licked 15 times before you realize the fur missile had you in the crosshairs.

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

Not bothered, just confused. Not being a sports fan, I did not have a clue what the difference between the styles of Byrd and Jordan were. (BTW, I've seen Larry Byrd's birthplace in French Lick, Indiana--I didn't know who he was at first, but they told me.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

As for German Shepherds, my first US Air Force K9 instructor summed them up: " German Shepherds aren't the best in any category........but they are second best in every category."

I have handled one Malingator and the rest are/were GSDs. Malingators have the highest incidents for biting the handler than any other dog.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I was in a class with my young dog. There was one there. It was out of control most of the time. Acted viscus to other handlers and dogs. I did not like or trust that dog at all.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I really would love to have a Malinois but it not in the cards with me being 75. My wife was going to dock diving events with our Border Collie and at Hunter Canine in Cave Creek, AZ they train Mals. She got to watch some very cool stuff. I follow one of their employees on FB, she's always posting great pictures.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post