SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you explain this?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you explain this? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Are there high power lines near by? They set up poles similar to that to restring them or if they switch from wood to metal poles.

a mile or two away,across 8 fields

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Meaningless posts.

Just trying to increase their post count.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....haven't you guys ever seen a 'pole-tree' farm?

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Those appear to be used poles. They're pretty bleached out and hard looking. Note the darker ring around most of them maybe a foot off the current ground level. One of them is much darker from that point down. A utility training pole farm would probably use new poles. They'd be nice and soft and take more wear and tear and they'd be dark with cyresote. The pole barn idea sounds more likely.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Meaningless posts.

Big Grin
didn't see that coming
Big Grin
good one

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
"Pole-henge"

Winner!

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dsiets beat me to it. Hops. The poles don't have to be perfectly plumb (these are not), and don't have to be new (these are not). You'll probably see support lines and plantings in the spring. I've seen several setups, and they all start out looking just like yours - straight lines of old phone poles of no apparent use.

We have wild hops growing all around here; the vines will grow up to 2" in diameter at the base, and will snake all the way up to the top of a 70' tree. You'd think they'd do well being cultivated, but I haven't seen too much success with them here. I think they're more a labor of love.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meaningless posts.

FTW!!!!! Cool Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Part of the German defenses in northern France were poles like that set to hinder glider landings. Whoever put them there knows something. Eek

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Utility company pole climbing training site?

Exactly what I was going to say, we called it the 'pole orchard' ....

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, that's got to be a linesman pole climbing "orchard". I did that at Fort Jackson, S.C. over fifty years ago.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Incomplete crosses. Should have vetted Romans.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
A lot of kung fu movies have a set up like that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
It's intent is clear looking downward. The message that it was intended for has been received. The invasion will begin soon.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Meaningless posts.

You should win a prestigious reward for this. Possibly the loudest I have ever laughed at my imaginary friends

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Art project sponsored by the previous administration in Washington? Your tax dollars hard at work in local beautification project.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PLO231
posted Hide Post
Rommel's asparagus?

Posts: 120 | Registered: January 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Is the town named Warsaw, by chance?

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
So that is where the poles for the Scottish Highland games come from.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
There planting next years crops of Caber's for Caber tossing.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post